Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6cyl oil temp/press sender question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ein 6er
this foto is from the clymer manual. what is the sensor in the box? it is on the crankcase breather cover. it has 2 connections, red/white and red wires.

the exploded views don't show it. #s appear to be 911- (4?) 517-117(111?)-00

stock -6 gauges. i pulled the wires with car running and saw nothing happen on the gauge.

TIA!!

doug
TimT
I think its a sensor for the FI thermo time switch....i have been wrong before and will be again...
someone told me that sensor had something to do with MFI or CIS...If you have carbs..... its aint for nuttin
tryan
idono. the mechanical injected 72 has the sending unit for the oil pressure gage right behind that plate. earlier mechanical pumps had multiple solenoids. what length are the wires? later 6's had the sender on the fan end for oel zuck.
ein 6er
thanks!

the clymer foto is of the stock carbed 6. the wires come out of the factory harness, right by it. the oil pressure switch is in the lower right.

doug
tryan
that sender looks like an idiot light sender in the photo. i think the FBI has put a transponder on your car.

a recent post listed all the sender and gauge combo's. i think karl started the thread.

edit....no you started the thread? is that # not on the list?
ein 6er
anyone else want to take a guess at this?

so far i've ruled out the transponder theory!! laugh.gif

i'm going to add a 911 oil temp/press gauge. where does the pressure sender go.

thanks, doug
elmonte
I have the wires for this thing in my car but have no evidence of anything on the case breather?

MY pressure sender is mounted in the port right uder the serial number in your picture where
it looks like the temp sender is mounted. My temp sender is up front by the cam oiling line.
elmonte
Made that last post from memory , bad to start with and worse with age

Had it ass-backward, temp sender back by the breather and pressure sender
up front, wher the cam oil line comes out of the case under the fan.......
tryan
the only thing on the pelican diagrams that comes close to red/white is the WUR for the continuous injection system phase of motor production. ( warm up regulator ). anybody running CIS?

what is the number on your case? if it's a 7R the mechanical oil pressure sender goes down by the crank fan pulley.

elmonte, what year is your block. they moved/swapped sensor positions in 74-75?
elmonte
71 case #6414019
ein 6er
thanks,

"i think" ... you had it right the 1st time, that's the way the exploded views show it. i pulled the wire off of the sender in the lower right of the foto, (pressure switch), and the idiot light came on. i pulled the wire off the sender up front by the fan, and the temp gauge bounced. hmmm ....

ok guys .... don't make me take this over to the 911 board!! laugh.gif

doug
ein 6er
ok .... that same foto is in my 70 914-6 manual.

buuuuuut ..... my engine is actually a carbed '67 2.0, alum case. i don't know if the breather case was transfered from the original engine.

doug
elmonte
My oil pressure sending unit is definitely up front by the fan
Page #27 in Wayne Dempsey's Porsche 911 engines rebuild manual
elmonte
The question is does it really make a deference
Any port in a storm!
ein 6er
elmonte, i have wayne's book also. but i don't see a foto of a breather housing like this.

it's not in the factory exploded views either.

thanks, doug
elmonte
Page # 27 is a picture of where my oil pressure switch is located fig.2-15
It says at the rear of the motor but you have to turn that around for our 914's
ein 6er
ok ... p. 27, is that the temp sender below and the press sender above? do you have the switch by the breather?

p. 137, fig. 3-35 shows the switch. read the the paragraph above, about switch/sender. confused24.gif

thanks, doug
elmonte
UP by the fan is the sender for the pressure guage and the other sender up front is for the
idiot or low pressure light .. I think!! there for i am
elmonte
MY car must be ass-backwards, i have a seperate wire outside of the wiring harness
going from the sender back by the case breather to the 911 temp guage in the dash.
meursault
The sensor in question is a thermo-time switch or something of that regard, I believe. If I'm correct, it's basically a sensor that will aid the carburetor in warming up if you had all the factory devices in place (Most 914-6 owners apparently tossed these years ago).

Sensors that affect gauge readings for oil temp and oil pressure are usually green/red (oil pressure) and green/black (oil temperature). The oil pressure sensor is usually near the flywheel; the oil temp sensor is usually off the chain housing.
tryan
the red/white stripe wire on my mfi car goes to the rack solenoid. if that is the mystery wire in your harness?

i'll take out the air filter housing and peel back the booty, but i say oil temp on the breather for that photo.

all in favor, say iye.
si2t3m
Like meursault said. This sender is used to determine if gas should be sprayed in the air cleaner on startup.

When i had the 2.2, the oil pressure sending unit for the gauge was located at the back next to the flywheel (just beside the oil breather you show).

On my 3.0L the oil pressure sending unit for the gauge is on the cam oil line (big square block) feeding 4-5-6 side. The sender for the idiot light is located next the the breather. The oil temp sender is just next to the fan, on the 4-5-6 side. Look where the cam oil line goes out of the case, start going down toward the chain tensioner covers you should see a conector.

The senders are easy to id. The oil pressure sending unit for the gauge is like a small can, the sender for the oil press idiot like is like the one for the /4 hex head with plastic in the midle with a male conector sticking out of it. Oil temp sender is like a probe (once it's out of the engine) with a round male conector on it. When installed it looks basically like the oil press sender for the idiot light but with a round male connector on it.

HTH

Marc-André
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.