Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mueller bearing install and 5 lug conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Leo Imperial
So I won these parts at the WWC05'. I didn't even know at first what they were, but it didn't take long for the flock to move in and start making offers. Well I decided to do some research and I started collecting parts.

The front end has all been removed including the steering assembly. Turbo tierods will be part of the rebuild. The current swaybar is a 22mm adjustable upfront and will remain. I am keeping the stock 18mm torsion bars and a-arms. Everything else is being refreshed or replaced.

When the front is done the rear will be converted to 5 lug and a rear swaybar will be installed. Also if they can be obtained a set of Mueller bearings.

So here is the first set of pictures and questions fo Mike.
Leo Imperial
So here is the test fit in pictures.
Leo Imperial
Perfect fit!
Leo Imperial
I mean this is a perfect fit.
Leo Imperial
Washer
Leo Imperial
Roller
Leo Imperial
Washer
Leo Imperial
The bearing
Leo Imperial
O-ring
Leo Imperial
And the front mount.
Leo Imperial
Now to grease it all and do the actuall install.
Any advise from the peanut gallery. Mike is this looking like the correct approach?
BTW - everything fits perfect. No forcing and no play.
Mueller
Look'n good...make sure you lube the living daylights out of the bearings before the final install..........
Leo Imperial
Is this the type of grease you would use or should I get something else?
maf914
I'm just a casual observer of the various bearing threads from the past, but I thought Mike or another bearing user had recommended marine grade grease (boat trailer wheel bearings) for water resistance. idea.gif
Leo Imperial
That was what I had read also.
This stuff makes the same claims as the others on the shelf (water proof).
The other option is synthetic, but is that really neccessary?
Mueller
QUOTE (maf914 @ Nov 17 2005, 01:19 PM)
I'm just a casual observer of the various bearing threads from the past, but I thought Mike or another bearing user had recommended marine grade grease (boat trailer wheel bearings) for water resistance. idea.gif

that looks like standard wheel bearing grease which should be fine, I've never run into a wheel bearing grease that is water soluable smile.gif

the main difference with marine grade grease is the protection from thermal shock when backing your trailer into the water after a long drive...(read it someplace, how true, no real idea)
airsix
Does the sleeve that the large bearing runs on have to be epoxyed to the arm to keep it from walking or spinning?
-Ben M.
McMark
agree.gif Part of the marine grade grease recommendation was that it's much "stickier" than other greases and seems like it would stay in place longer.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (airsix @ Nov 17 2005, 01:39 PM)
Does the sleeve that the large bearing runs on have to be epoxyed to the arm to keep it from walking or spinning?
-Ben M.

good question.... idea.gif
Leo Imperial
I have alredy done the install with this shit.
Should I be concerned?
914werke
Leo, Im sorta at the same point with my install. The instructions dont indicate any adhesive for that sleave
and if you think about it, might not be necessary unless the bearings wernt propery greased. As the weight of the vehical should only rotate the element intended too.
But perhaps Mike will chime in.
Mueller
as long as the sleeve was not too loose, as in it would want to fall off when you picked up the a-arm, you should be okay
Leo Imperial
I got lazy withposting, so here is an update of pictures.
Starting with the new tie rods before the correct boots were installed.
Leo Imperial
With correct boots
Leo Imperial
Full assembly
Leo Imperial
Front completed and the rear now in progress.
TravisNeff
Looking good Leo. The all black cookies and stance look great!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.