Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SS HE's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
STL914
OK, my car is to be repainted next spring if all goes well. I already have the mud guards and chrome curb feelers waiting to be installed. clap.gif

I am also considering adding either a Triad West exhaust or a modified 2.0 OEM muffler with cookie cutter megaphones to the car.

My problem is that I have a set of 1.7 SS He's on the car, even though the motor is a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder. The Triad muffler, as well as the 2.0 muffler, will only fit the 2.0 HE's. Is it possible to convert a set of 1.7 SS heat exchangers into a 2.0 system? Has anyone done this?

Oh, I lied about the mud guards and curb feelers!
Mueller
if you can cut and weld, then yes, you can change the rear mounting configuration to resemble the 2.0 h/e's

it might be easier to modify the inlets of the muffler instead......that is what I would do....
lagunero
Dave at Triad is a great guy to deal with. Maybe a call and he can fab them to fit the 1.7. I Don't know if it's possible and I assume that they're not made because most seeking a Triad are most likely to own a 2.0 motor. There was a post on a recent thread that claimed 1.7 SS HE had a larger ID than a stock 2.0 HE. If so I'd definately contact Dave. Good luck.
Mueller
QUOTE (lagunero @ Nov 17 2005, 03:48 PM)
There was a post on a recent thread that claimed 1.7 SS HE had a larger ID than a stock 2.0 HE. If so I'd definately contact Dave. Good luck.

Same ID....people need to edit thier posts when incorrect....
r_towle
so,,,is it a mythe that the 2.0 liter ones flow better???

There is a bend at the end, yes, but its very smooth...

I measured them after someone said that the 2.o liter ones were bigger and I found them to be the same size...but then I questioned if I had 2.0 liter ones of some other ones...I have the 1.7 ones on the car...

Please bust this myth....it will save me alot of un needed work if I can just keep the ones I have, braket and muffler too.

Rich
Bleyseng
SSI HE are the same ID!! 1.7 ones have the bends in them so you lose "alittle" with that.

I have measured the stock 1.7 and 2.0L HE's years ago IIRC that they are different.
rhodyguy
trivial but on topic. the he to muffler gaskets have different bolt hole spacing on the 2.0 style as compared to the 1.7/1.8= the flanges will not mate up properly. i think the piping "kick up" on the 1.7/1.8 could lead to some interference issues with the heat shield on the bottom of the rear trunk.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.