Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan not centered
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IanStott
OK, I have messed up somehow, I took all the engine tin off, the fan and large fan shroud etc., had stuff powder coated and cleaned. Started putting things back on last night and the fan is not centered in it's hole, it is touching on the alternator side. What has happened?

Ian Stott
Moncton
URY914
QUOTE (IanStott @ Nov 18 2005, 02:46 AM)
OK, I have messed up somehow, I took all the engine tin off, the fan and large fan shroud etc., had stuff powder coated and cleaned. Started putting things back on last night and the fan is not centered in it's hole, it is touching on the alternator side. What has happened?

Ian Stott
Moncton

When you say "fan shroud" do you mean the big cast aluminum housing?

I had this happen too. Make sure the fan is tighten down to the hub. Mine was a little off and made the fan crooked in the opening.

There also maybe a little slop in how the rear section of the fan housing fits on the four studs on the front of the engine. Loosen up the nuts and move the housing around.

Keep working it and it will line up.

Paul

IanStott
yes I mean the large aluminium housing, I will try again. The other issue is the single bolt thru the center of the fan which is not connected to the fan, I was using it to turn the engine over and now it won't turn over. I took out all the sparkplugs so there wouldn't be any compression to fight. The reason I was turning the engine over was to see if the fan was actually going to touch the housing. I don't want to over stress that bolt. All comments/ideas are welcomed.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
type11969
For future reference, I wouldn't use that bolt to turn the engine over when the plugs are in, I think you could over-torque it if you do. Use one of the flywheel bolts, or just grab the flywheel with your hands. Actually, I wouldn't turn the engine over with that bolt even with the plugs out, that bolt is pretty small. The reason the engine might not be turning over now is because you might have tightened that little bolt so much that all the endplay has been taken up in the crank. Just a thought.

-Chris
URY914
I use that bolt to turn my engine over but I do remove the plugs.

IanStott
I may have overtightened that bolt! Can I just back it off and all will be well or have I damaged something? What do you mean by end play in the crank? I'm feeling kinda dumb right now but if there are some who need to poke me in the eye with gentle ribbing I can take it! Thanks for responding.

Ian
URY914
QUOTE (IanStott @ Nov 18 2005, 08:04 AM)
I may have overtightened that bolt! Can I just back it off and all will be well or have I damaged something? What do you mean by end play in the crank? I'm feeling kinda dumb right now but if there are some who need to poke me in the eye with gentle ribbing I can take it! Thanks for responding.

Ian

I think you're fine.

I don't see how that bolt could effect crank end play.

I turn my engine both directions with that bolt. No problems.
type11969
I thought that if you tighten that bolt beyond spec (probably would have to be way beyond) it would pull the hub further onto the crank, pushing the hub against the first bearing on the crank, which would pull the crank forward, which would pull the flywheel forward against the endplay shims and rear main bearing. Or, maybe just pull the hub forward on the crank enough that the fan bolts are pressing against the crankshaft seal at that end. Looking at this picture, it seems like either one could happen.

Did you forget washers behind the heads of the fan bolts (are there any)? Without those, the bolts could be simply digging into that seal causing your problem.

-Chris
IanStott
I'm starting to get worried as my clutch and flywheel are off at the moment as I'm replacing those items. Is it possible that I pulled the whole assmbly too far by cranking like a back yard mechanic on that bolt?

Ian Stott
nervous in Moncton
bondo
Is the distributor in? If the drive gear moves, it can bind with the gear on the crank and stop it from turning.

Also, without the flywheel on, the crank can move forward and back. It's possible that it's moved enough that something is hitting something it shouldn't.
type11969
Check to make sure that the hub or any bolts going through the hub aren't cutting into that front seal, loosen the hub bolt, and try to see if it spins. If it doesn't, its probably something else.

Don't do this if the distributor is out though, it can bind like bondo says. And if you force it, the gear on the crank (soft brass) can get chewed up.

-Chris
IanStott
I'm going to take it all off and start again being more gentle. I use washers and they are not digging in, the distributor is in, I didn't remove it. I removed the engine/transmission so I could properly restore the body, so while it was out I took the opportunity to clean it up, get some parts powdercoated, have the starter and alternator redone, and get a clutch kit from Jake which he treated me very good on btw. Reassembly should have been easy, but the old saying is true " if it was easy everyone woild be doing it" Anyway I hope I haven't hurt anything.

Ian
Jeffs9146
I had this problem when I rebuilt my Alt. It turned out that the shop that rebuilt it didn't tighten the Screws that go all the way to the rear nuts on the Alt. enough so when I put the belt on it pulled the fan into the housing. Once the screws and rear bolts were tightened up the problem went away!

Jeff
IanStott
Okay here is what happened! The powder coating was thick enough to cause the fan to rub on the aluminum housing making me think the engine was the problem. When I took the fan off, the engine turned freely, even with the plugs back in. I reassembled everything and put a little sideways pressure on the housing so the fan is more centered, it is not perfect but pretty close. The thickness of the powder coating means there is less clearance , if it does rub I'm sure it will wear off quickly. i am glad I didn't come onto that little bolt in the center to hard, no harm done but a good wake up call for me to pay closer attention!! Thanks to all who gave their 2 cents worth.

Ian Stott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.