Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb to FI conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trevorg7
I have a 72 EA80 1.7 with dual weber 34 ict's. I am interested in converting it back to FI, D-jet I believe.

Has anyone done this? How hard, how much, can I still find all that is needed to convert it back?

Thoughts and comments?

T
jet1
every once and awhile complete FI systems pop up on ebay. also try the club classifieds.
r_towle
you can get everything in the FI system for pretty cheap except a good MPS..

The swap is a good saturday job...with tuning...

Most of it is out there...

put a WTB in the classifieds...

Rich
lapuwali
I have enough 1.7 EFI parts in my garage that we should be able to assemble one working system. I'm more or less local to you, as well. I'd advise getting a new harness from Jeff Bowlsby. The only aircleaner I have is one of the old oil bath types, so you'd have to hunt up a '73 airbox if you'd prefer the paper filter type.

You might also consider this an opportunity to try an aftermarket ECU, which would mean not having to find a working MPS (I have 3 or 4, but I have no idea if any of them work). A pre-built MegaSquirt ECU would add $350 to the project, but wouldn't require an MPS, and would be fully tunable.

PM me if you're interested.

Trevorg7
James - PM sent.

Thanks all.

T
bd1308
i have a 1.7 MPS if you want it.

make me an offer

b
sean_v8_914
I dont think you will be paying much to put the stock FI back on there. The vacuum hoses will cost the most. I just spent over $70 in hoses for my 2.0. If James does not have it, I do. Just cover the shipping cost and its yours. I do not have a good MPS. I do have CHT, fuel reg, decel, intake runners, injectors, plenum, TPS, AAR, ECU, cold start, fuel rails...I just cant thow it away.

I even have a set of Euro spec pop up high compresion 1.7 pistons

I praise you for your choice to go back to FI
Trevorg7
Thanks Sean - PM sent.

T
lapuwali
QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Nov 18 2005, 02:59 PM)
I dont think you will be paying much to put the stock FI back on there. The vacuum hoses will cost the most. I just spent over $70 in hoses for my 2.0. If James does not have it, I do. Just cover the shipping cost and its yours. I do not have a good MPS. I do have CHT, fuel reg, decel, intake runners, injectors, plenum, TPS, AAR, ECU, cold start, fuel rails...I just cant thow it away.

I even have a set of Euro spec pop up high compresion 1.7 pistons

I praise you for your choice to go back to FI

I don't have much in the way of hoses, but all that stuff needs to be new, anyway, or you'll have no end of problems. A working MPS is the single most expensive item in the lot, and I have one or two that might work. I have pretty much everything else, though.

Trevorg7
Thank guys - great info and I appriciate you willingness to help.

I'll keep my eyes open for a good MPS and we'll talk.

Thanks again

T
Bleyseng
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Nov 18 2005, 11:21 AM)
I have enough 1.7 EFI parts in my garage that we should be able to assemble one working system. I'm more or less local to you, as well. I'd advise getting a new harness from Jeff Bowlsby. The only aircleaner I have is one of the old oil bath types, so you'd have to hunt up a '73 airbox if you'd prefer the paper filter type.

You might also consider this an opportunity to try an aftermarket ECU, which would mean not having to find a working MPS (I have 3 or 4, but I have no idea if any of them work). A pre-built MegaSquirt ECU would add $350 to the project, but wouldn't require an MPS, and would be fully tunable.

PM me if you're interested.

Send them up to me for testing and/or recalibrating.....\
Test them with a vacuum pump. Pull 15hg for 5 minutes on the mps and see if it holds the vacuum. It will if its good. Forget the sucking on it test as you can't pull enough vacuum.....
Oliver
Hey my pos has a single carb on a 1.8 1974... I have a lot of of stuff but think that a whole after market IF would be easer idea.gif better w00t.gif any one got any ideas or stuff to look in to....
lapuwali
QUOTE (Oliver @ Nov 18 2005, 05:57 PM)
Hey my pos has a single carb on a 1.8 1974... I have a lot of of stuff but think that a whole after market IF would be easer idea.gif better w00t.gif any one got any ideas or stuff to look in to....

Megasquirt
SDS EFI

Browse these, and expect to be overwhelmed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.