Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AA Steel GT Flair replicas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
I just bought a set of AA Steel GT Flair replicas.
Does anyone know of a good body shop in O.C. or So. Cal. to install them and paint the car?

thanks,

Steve
Brad Roberts
Come on guys... we have 100 some odd SoCal guys. Somebody must know of a decent shop to point him too.

I know of one... but I'll have to get a hold of a friend for the name. The guys has done some magic with 914's in the past.

B
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 17 2003, 06:03 PM)
I just bought a set of AA Steel GT Flair replicas.
Does anyone know of a good body shop in O.C. or So. Cal. to install them and paint the car?

Steve,
congrats on the purchase of the flares.

Besides asking for recommendations here, try looking in your local phone book
under Painting, Dealers-Wholesale. Contact one of the paint jobbers, they
can prolly recommend someone good.
Those guys 'usually' know whose good, and who isn't.

Or...
You could always bring it up to NorCal and have Yeaman's Auto Body do it.

I *think* Brad knows the owner of that shop. beerchug.gif
Mike D.
I know of two good shops in the LA area. Not familiar with OC at all. (probably more expencive down there anyway laugh.gif )

Beach Boys in Venice, they're next door to Otto's*. Don't know the number but I do know of several cars done there and all have been very good.

Also, C&R Automotive in Torrance. I had some work done there and was very satisfied. Don't have the number with me right now but can post it later if you are interested.

-Mike D.

*Otto's - only recomended because maybe they can get you the phone number.
campbellcj
Kevin Mentzer at Automotive Innovations & Restoration has done extensive work including f/g widebody and paint on Jack Olsen's "Black Beauty II". He's done work for several other Pelican 911 board folks too. He is a solo craftsman who seems to do very good work w/o reaming you a new oriface.

Last time I stopped by his shop, there was a 914 project there... He is a Corvair guy personally.

Located in Van Nuys. (818) 786-2181
Dad Roberts
Steve......I have a bodyman that does "steel" work only. He used to do Vettes, but stays away from glass now. He does not do paint work, cept for primer. He is in Elsinore. He is usually a customizer only. He may be interested. If you like, I could call him? Maybe we could get him to start leanin towards P-cars? He has done my last 4 customs. ............ Dad driving.gif
seanery
Kevin does very good work.

He did my buddy Paul's Iroc clone
IPB Image

He's a one man shop, which is usually a little slower, but his work is fantastic (when pushed to do so).
He does a lot of the TRE cars.

Prices are very reasonable-but remember to figure about double the time do the project.
seanery
during
seanery
another.

This was a plain jane 75 Carrera. Kevin did steel flares on the rear, glass front fenders, glass bumpers f & r and an actual IROC tail, and a sweet oil cooler up front. Cut the pan out and made a recess and welded it back together. very slick.
Randal
Having just gone through a 914 flare project I know what I'd do.

I'd bring that 914 up to Tony and have him weld the flares on correctly. Once that is done 99% of the issues that will come up will be eliminated. And trust me this will end up being the most cost efficient way; unless Tony has a brother in So. Cal.

After Tony does his magic you can take the car to lots of people who know how to paint.

And in any event, don't get sucked into going to someone who doesn't have the specific experience you need.

Flares are a big sink hole just looking for money to implode.
Steve
Thanks for the help!
Thanks Brad for the extra help!!
I will check out these shops and get some pricing.
The wife wants me to paint it blue.
I'm debating on painting it the original 98 metalic blue or leaving it the current silver color.
When I bought it in 86 I thought Silver was the orignal color.
Every inch of it is silver.
A year ago when I put in the 3.2 motor I noticed a dab of metalic blue paint under the dash and sure enough the paint code tab said 98.
I wonder if 98 was special for a 75 car?
All the books show L98 and only for earlier cars.
Has anyone heard of 98 on a 75 car.

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.