Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor Rebuild Alternatives?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I am in the process of restoring a '73 1.7 that is getting close cosmetically but mechanically still has a long way to go, but would like some opinions on what I should do about my motor? I current have a 1.7 in the car that is leaking and blowing smoke, but seems to run strong, so I am not in a hurry to do anything but a replacement/rebuild is inevitable. I also have another 1.8 removed from a '74 that has about 90k on it. I plan on primarily using the car for spirited Sun driving with the occasional DE and Auto-x. I am a novice motor guy but would consider trying to rebuild the engine myself, particularly since there is no hurry. What is the price difference between rebuilding myself and having a pro do it? If I were to do it myself I would need a complete recipe! Looked at the rebuild kits provided by RAT but after I add all the options am I better off having them do it complete? Keep in mind this project is on a budget and a RAT engine, although ideal, may be some years away? What do you recommend?
r_towle
Get a kit from Jake at RAT.

The kit has all the odd details worked out for you...it takes out alot of the risk.

Plus...if your nice...Jake might give you phone support to go with it.

You could price it out elsewhere...but then you have alot of precise detailed measuring and clearance work to ensure you have the correct parts.

Some of the stuff (according to Jake) that is on the market is not the right size etc...poor machining etc...

Jake is a perfectionist and he makes sure that all of the stuff in your kit has been inspected, measured etc....This is not really done by others that I have heard of.

So,,,I would say get a kit from Jake. The other option is get good at swaping motors and keep putting in used ones...they seem to last several years before its time to get another one..and its much cheaper...

If your engine is leaking oil...you need to change
Oil cooler seals.
Front and rear engine seals
Push Rod Tube seals.
Main sump gaskets
Valve cover gaskets.

This is not so hard...less than 100 bucks in parts and stops a majority of the leaking...

It will also give you a good feel for the motor...you need to take it out, take off the tin and front fan...

You need to clean out all the acorns, pine needles , and oil that has built up under the tin...it lets the air flow better again....

It will show you if you have alot of blow by or just a little (they all have some when old)...at least what I have seen..they all leak from cylinder to case and some from cylinder to head....
It not a big deal unless you have alot of pressure leakage...then its time..

Good luck..welcome to the 914 nightmare.

Rich
Carlitos Way
Since it is a project and you're not in a hurry... why not go RAT and just purchase one piece at a time... or one segment at a time? I may be a little out of line (If I am, my apologies to Jake), but I would not be surprised if he was willing to help you one phase at a time. He takes so much pride not only in his work, but his products as well.
Gary
Depending on your budget, time table, and mechanical skills, I'd say you have spectrum of options. About 6 years ago rebuilt my 1800 into a 1911 (66x96) before there was a Jake video or many of the resources out there today. It lasted about 5 years / 50k miles before gernading a lifter and wiping the cam. There are a bunch of vendors who could help you with a kit that your gather parts for yourself.

If you have the benefit of time, it would be hard to beat one of Jake's kits. I went another route this year and have been sorry for it.
r_towle
I would urge you to check out the vendor you do business with prior to sending any money...

I would bet that someone here has doen business with just about every 914 parts vendor out there...

There are alot of good and alot of bad vendors...

But, I have seen only fair and honest vendor reports here....

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.