Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rendezvous
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
There was a thread back in 2003 about this vid. I just came across it on another site. 10 minute video of a Ferrari driven at speed through the streets of Paris way back when. From what I read it was an F1 driver and the camera they were using could only hold 10 minutes of film, so he had to get from point A to point B in the time limit. Regardless, it's a rocking video.

Rendezvous (35 MB)
r_towle
what type of player do i need to play a .mov file....

Rich
Rand
Quicktime
r_towle
WOW!!!

I wonder what time that was....I have never seen so little traffic there...

Rich
anthony
Probably like 5:30am on a Sunday morning.

Thanks for posting that, Mark. I first saw that video like 5 or 6 years ago on the net but it was a very tiny low res version. I've been waiting for a higher res version to pop up for a long time.

I also found that you can buy a DVD but I guess I'm a CSOAB when it comes to 9 minutes of video for $30.

http://www.blackwatchracing.com/shopdispla...vd&id=1&cat=DVD

Root_Werks
I remember this video too. Very cool! driving.gif
nomore9one4
I tried to make a similiar video in my 914. It took the whole 10 minutes to get it off the jack stands! laugh.gif
fiid
Awesome. Anyone have more info on the car? Is it a ferarri V12 or something?

fiid
Alright: Here is the info from the IMDB trivia page, which is somewhat self contradictory.

The movie scores 8.0 on IMDB, which is exceptionally good.

* The film was shot in a single take, without any special effects or stuntmen, with the director driving the car.

* The idea for this film came to Claude Lelouch after hiring a gyro stabilized camera mount for a film he was working on at the time.

* While Claude Lelouch refuses to say who the driver was (although believed to be an F1 driver of the time) the car was his own Ferrari 275 GTB.

* The film is nine minutes long because the film cartridge in the camera could only hold 10 minutes of film and it was taken in a single shot.

* There was no confirmation of who was driving or what car he was driving. Sources variously claim the car to be either a Le Mans Matra 675, Ferrari 275 GTB, or, more recently an Alpine A110.

* Lelouch was arrested shortly after the film was screened but was later released without charge.

* The route taken in the film is 10.42 km long (6.48 mi). It takes the driver 7:57 to cover that distance, giving him an average speed of 78.64 km/h (48.86 mph).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169173/maindetails

driving.gif

Clearly I need a camera mount.
Gint
Cool.

As long as we're posting "renegade cars racing through the streets in the wee hours" videos, here's one of my favorites. 911 even. Beware, it's 107 Mb. And for the purists among us, the opening tune (and also at the end) contains the "f" word. So if you can't handle it, don't click it.

Getaway in Stockholm, 2000
lapuwali
I've heard about this film for years, but never saw it. The sound is pure V12, so assuming the sound was actually recorded "live", it's not a A110, as that has a four (one of my favorite cars ever). The shifts were so quick it doesn't sound like it could be a synchro 'box, so I'd believe the Matra, though I've always heard it was a 275 (another all-time favorite car). The tire noise sounds like it was added later, so it's very possible the engine noise was, as well.

The era is clearly the early to mid 70s, judging from the cars on the road and the clothing and hairstyles of the two at the end.

Paris is actually a rather sleepy town. I've walked up the Champs Elysees (just past where the film begins) in the middle of the afternoon with little traffic. There was something of a crowd around the Arc, of course, but remarkably little on the Champs down to the obelisk at the Tuileries. In the early morning, I can believe it would be that empty most of the time. Lots of garbage trucks at that hour, as shown.

There are several such Parisian runs. One has a guy on a bike with a large clock on the tank to prove he did the Peripherique (the ring road around Paris) in under 15 minutes, which apparently requires an average speed of 140km/h, at night, in heavy traffic.
ThinAir
That's amazing! It was great fun to see some of my favorite places in a new way and to guess where he was going next. Somehow I knew that he'd end up at Sacre Cour. It sure made me cringe at a lot of points just thinking about all those red lights he ran!
seanery
the sound was added in post, this isn't the sound from that morning's run. There was a thread about this in September here as well.
Aaron Cox
thanks for sharing. cool nonetheless
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.