Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got my new starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
user posted image
user posted image

So this is the new starter. It looks like I have two posts and one connector. This look right to you all?
olav
Could you take a close up please?

biggrin.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE (olav @ Nov 18 2005, 01:28 PM)
Could you take a close up please?

biggrin.gif

chair.gif

Its a camera phone - sheesh.
KaptKaos
user posted image

Happy now?
dlo914
is that the hi-torque starter? how much did you pay for it? a regular Bosch starter at the FLAPS i work at is about $50+Lifetime Warranty.
KaptKaos
Yeah - HiTorque one. Got it off of evilbay from a fella in Riverside CA. Used a Paypal coupon, got it for $99.

We don't have Flaps here. I was seeing $149+ for bosch
dlo914
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Nov 18 2005, 01:46 PM)
Yeah - HiTorque one. Got it off of evilbay from a fella in Riverside CA. Used a Paypal coupon, got it for $99.

We don't have Flaps here. I was seeing $149+ for bosch

FLAPS= Friendly Local Auto Parts Store = Kragen (Kracken), Autozone, PepBoys, etc...AND im in LA. i could've hooked you up w/ a starter. unsure.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Nov 18 2005, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Nov 18 2005, 01:46 PM)
Yeah - HiTorque one.  Got it off of evilbay from a fella in Riverside CA.  Used a Paypal coupon, got it for $99.

We don't have Flaps here.  I was seeing $149+ for bosch

FLAPS= Friendly Local Auto Parts Store = Kragen (Kracken), Autozone, PepBoys, etc...AND im in LA. i could've hooked you up w/ a starter. unsure.gif

Thanks Daniel. I wanted the HiTorque one anyway. If it fails, I will be give you a call!! wink.gif
SLITS
15 image penalty - - - Personal Foul - - - -Not being able to resize photos. slap.gif

KaptKaos
So for those of you that have installed this type of starter before, which side is which?

Thanks!
r_towle
interesting question..

the side with the gear goes in facing the motor...

It will onlyfit on the bolts in one direction

Rich
skline
They are a piece of cake to install. It should go in just like the one from the factory. The plug in is for the yellow wire and then you hook up your main power and the other small red wire to the bolt. It gets it's ground from the engine. Should take you about 15 minutes. That is the one I run on my car and it was on my 4 cylinder car before.
SLITS
Solenoid is up and tilted towards drivers side............
KaptKaos
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 18 2005, 02:43 PM)
interesting question..

the side with the gear goes in facing the motor...

It will onlyfit on the bolts in one direction

Rich

chair.gif

Maybe I should have mentioned that I was referring to the wired connections. It can only mount one way. LOL
r_towle
well it is mid engine...so the part with the gear goes toward the front of the car...that is the part with the headlights (the little doors that flip open at night)

If that doesnt help...if you are laying under the car....slide in till oil drips directly on your forhead...reach to your right...that is the starter motor...

biggrin.gif
Bee Jay
I've had mine in for about two months now. No more heat soak problems. Works great. I got it from Pelican Parts. I already had a gear reduction starter in the Vette, so I knew I would be happy with one.
Bee Jay
GWN7
Yep, Smokey has that one and I bought a spare with the paypal coupon that was offered last month. Works great.

Side story....when I was driving the 70 home from BC a few yrs ago I was having starter problems (before I knew that a trans strap was needed) and I went into the local FLAPS in Calgary and bought a spare incase I had to swap it out somewhere along the prairie. I get home and figure I'll pull it and do the swap...wrong starter, so I take it to the local FLAPS location and they check the numbers. Turns out the FLAPS (locations across Canada) had 7 starters for automatic 914's in their inventory
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.