Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RennShifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GTeener
smile.gif
Got my Rennshifter installed finally. Wow, what a difference. Shifting is much easier.

But...I still have probelms engaging 1st sometimes. Does my shifter need adjusting or is there a transmission problem?
r_towle
could be both.

R
sjhowitson
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
GTeener
Pix of my interior with shifter?
sjhowitson
Yes please..Or a picture of that cute neighbor girl clap.gif
GTeener
QUOTE (sjhowitson @ Nov 18 2005, 03:14 PM)
Yes please..Or a picture of that cute neighbor girl clap.gif

OK. This weekend.

Maybe my cute housemate will pose too wink.gif
olav

Next time you're at the gym in the morning get me so I can see the new shifter!
GTeener
QUOTE (olav @ Nov 18 2005, 04:18 PM)
Next time you're at the gym in the morning get me so I can see the new shifter!

Tuesday 11/28. I'll try to remember to driver her that day smile.gif
r_towle
That would be nice...

Who in the Massachusetts area has installed one of these.

I would like to see one of these.
Rich

Mark Henry
I have one smilie_pokal.gif works guud!

Gwen you may have one of your stops screwed in to far.
TimT
I would like to see one of these.

Rich Im not in Mass but Ive installed a rennshift, and am quite happy with it.. Ill have the car out at Lime Rock in early april probably.. the car is hibernating now
anthony
I've got a Rennshifter that I'm ready to install. What other parts are the "while you are in there" stuff that should be installed? I suppose all new linkage bushings is mandatory.

r_towle
well, if you take out the motor....the rear suspension bushings, and while your r there the front suspension bushings....oh and there are new aluminum calipers that you might need...and if you do that...aluminum hubs and 911 rotors....mmmmm

You might want some interior stuff from morphenspectra like a new center console...

leather seats and new door panels...

And since you took the engine out..........................................................................
McMark
Gwen, does it grind or is it just hard to engage?

Anthony, the bushings in the universal joint where the first cone screw attaches are cheap and I've seen a few that are bad. Those bushings aren't always in the shift bushing "kits".
ein 6er
i recently installed a gen 1 rennshifter and found that just a 1 or 2 spline adjustment made a big difference, (tail shifter though). also check that your shift rod isn't binding on the clutch tube.

hope that helps!!
JWest
What are the actual conditions when it won't go in?

It's probably the typical Porsche syncro problem - they don't cope very well with engaging first at too low a speed - some (just enough) rotation is needed to allow the syncro to work to allow the dog teeth to mesh "just so." Worn parts (syncro, slider, dog teeth) just make this worse. It's really true of almost any gearbox, but it is a bigger problem with servo syncros.

What if you double de-clutch on the downshift to first just before stopping - does is go in everytime? Is it an issue only while stationary?

The radial adjustment is correct when the 1/2 shift can be made by just pushing the lever forward with no side-to-side correction, and the reverse lockout operation will determine the correct fore-aft position. As Mark said, back off the front stop bolt to see if that helps.
jim_hoyland
Welcome to the club; just installed one too after tranny rebuild. I also have the 1st gear issue, I have found James advice sright on. Still a major improvement
RON S.
I got my gen2 shifter over the summer,beautiful,well working very professional piece.

It is WELL worth the price of it's admission smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif beer.gif beer.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif

Bigtime thanks James.

Ron

GTeener
QUOTE (McMark @ Nov 18 2005, 06:11 PM)
Gwen, does it grind or is it just hard to engage?

Hard to engage, and a couple times I thought it was in gear and it popped out. It doesn't always groan like it used to though smile.gif

idea.gif It's odd, because the problem doesn't typically start until I've been driving the car a while. Like trying to downshift in traffic.

Not sure what double clutching is or if I'm doing it wacko.gif
r_towle
Check your motor mounts...

if these are to loose or sloppy, your motor shifts position while you are driving....like when you accelerate really hard...then shift it moves and this makes shifting difficult.

Also...the shifting will work better if your motor is sitting square to the chassis...

Measure from the engine to the firewall on both sides...

I found it could be off as much as 3/4 of an inch...

Rich
jd74914
QUOTE (GTeener @ Nov 21 2005, 03:32 PM)

You double clutch on really old cars/trucks. It involves taking the part out of gear (first clutch), then reving the engine to get it to tranny speed, and then putting it into the next gear (second clutch). wink.gif
GTeener
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Nov 21 2005, 01:12 PM)
Not sure what double clutching is or if I'm doing it  :wacko:

You double clutch on really old cars/trucks. It involves taking the part out of gear (first clutch), then reving the engine to get it to tranny speed, and then putting it into the next gear (second clutch). wink.gif

Ah. Thanks. So SHOULD I be double clutching when I upshift?
Rand
You should not have to double clutch a 914.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (GTeener @ Nov 21 2005, 02:15 PM)
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Nov 21 2005, 01:12 PM)
Not sure what double clutching is or if I'm doing it  :wacko:

Ah. Thanks. So SHOULD I be double clutching when I upshift?

i agree you shouldnt have to double clutch.

i sometimes do it ONLY for 2nd to 1st down shifts....

i can also do clutchless upshifts smile.gif
GTeener
Good. Because I don't typically rev when shifting, especially down...
JWest

It's a good syncro check. You should not have to do it with everything working well. You bypass the work the syncros have to do if you double clutch and help pinpoint the issue.
Rand
Revving on downshift is another thing though...
While I don't usually double clutch, I do enjoy bringing the engine up to the RPMs of the lower gear so when it goes in it is smooth and in the power band. Depends on how you are driving and what kind of corner you're in, etc...... Powering through a corner is different than slowing down on the street. smile.gif

At least you know your shifter isn't the problem! Wish I had a Rennshifter. smilie_pokal.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Rand @ Nov 21 2005, 03:06 PM)
Revving on downshift is another thing though...
While I don't usually double clutch, I do enjoy bringing the engine up to the RPMs of the lower gear so when it goes in it is smooth and in the power band. Depends on how you are driving and what kind of corner you're in, etc...... Powering through a corner is different than slowing down on the street. smile.gif

At least you know your shifter isn't the problem! Wish I had a Rennshifter. smilie_pokal.gif

always blip the throttle to match the new gear on a downshift....its much nice on your tranny.....matching RPM's so the motor doesnt have to speed up like crazy on a downshift
GTeener
Follow-up...

I've driven GTeener more and I'm liking the new shifter. It is much easier...but I still think some adjustments are needed somewhere. idea.gif

Maybe when the car is with Brandon & McMark they can better isolate & explain what I'm experiencing. confused24.gif
sjhowitson
Does anybody use this shifter in a race car? How about some feed back. I have been thinking about it for a long time. Now that the time trial season is over I was think of a winter install. If I can afford it and can get one. I would like to hear from racers that use it. Sorry for the hijack biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (sjhowitson @ Dec 1 2005, 12:36 PM)
Does anybody use this shifter in a race car? How about some feed back. I have been thinking about it for a long time. Now that the time trial season is over I was think of a winter install. If I can afford it and can get one. I would like to hear from racers that use it. Sorry for the hijack biggrin.gif

i think i read that TimT on the board, took out a fabcar shifter and put in a rennshift.....,i think thats what i read.
slivel
QUOTE (sjhowitson @ Dec 1 2005, 11:36 AM)

Yes, here it is. It performs well. In fact I won my last race using it.
pete-stevers
quick question where does one buy rennshifters?
slivel
That last image was a little large - sorry. All packed up and ready to leave tomorrow morning for Willow Springs. Anybody else going?
slivel
Smaller pic.
TimT
Aarons correctamundo. I took the Fabcar shifter out of one of my cars, and replaced it with a Rennshift.

I couldnt stand the Fabcar shifter
Rand
QUOTE (pete-stevers @ Dec 1 2005, 02:44 PM)
quick question where does one buy rennshifters?

jwesteng.com
cha914
Another happy rennshift user here...slaped it in after the MUSR, and have probably put over 1K miles on it so far...IT ROCKS...I never nick reverse any more, and I just realized the other day that I can now shift the car without thinking about it any more.

Well worth the money.

Tony driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.