Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will Oil drain plug crush washer work on strainer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikelsr
I have lost my new strainer crush ring headbang.gif and I have the strainer off (still have old crush ring). Will the copper drain plug crush washer work on the strainer (I have a couple extra of those)? I am trying to get ready for the last AX of the season and I have to get the oil in there tonight... sigh...

TIA
Mike
r_towle
I think they are the same...but for one day...do it.

If it pour out...put some rtv sealer on it for the day...

just keep an eye on it and you will be fine.

Rich
Allan
IIRC, there isn't one under the strainer nut...
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Headrage @ Nov 18 2005, 08:29 PM)
IIRC, there isn't one under the strainer nut...

Yes there is!

give a try BUT if it leaks DON'T try to crank the nut down harder. 9lbs only dude

Don't be a victim.
Mark Henry
Just went and looked at one…very loose fit…I don’t like it.

It might work, but USE AT OWN RISK.
r_towle
RTV will work for one day....

Or , use the OLD one and RTV...then take it off, clean it all down and install a new one...at least you get to race.

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
Jeeezzzzzzz. Come on, guys, it's the SAME part! How hard is that? They give tou TWO in the sump gasket kit! Just be sure the barely noticeable seam on the crush washer is pointed toward the head of the nut (or bolt, in the case of the drain plug). If there's no seam, it's the wrong seal. Silicone (RTV) will promote leaks. 11ft/lbs is the MAXIMUM torque. If it leaks then, you have other problems. The Cap'n
Mark Henry
the crusty one could be right...but so could I.

I've found many T4 cases have two different sizes of drain plugs.

Could be a bus thing or a Canadian thing.

BTW I've come across too many to be a wrench making a repair...unless every wench used the same tap and plug.
mikelsr
Thanks Everyone! I did use the other drain plug crush washer. Not leaks. I will know better tomorrow after it gets a bit warmer (how warm can it get when the high is going to be in the 40's).

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.