Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Car is stuttering
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlo914
Two weeks back the car was stuttering pretty bad. To a point where the car would shut down at times. So then i replaced the plugs, and the ignition rotor. That solved the problem for 2 weeks. And now the same problem is occuring again, but when i step on the gas the dash lights and headlights get brighter. When i let go of the gas pedal the lights dim again. So then im assuming it's a bad alternator, but i wanted to double check here before i wrenched on the car. Thanks in advance. biggrin.gif
grasshopper
yup, sounds like a bad alternator... or a bad or loose ground confused24.gif
dlo914
ive checked the engine compartment for loose grounds. they all seem secure to me.
r_towle
I assume its FI.
Check you wiring to the main computer...make sure its plugged in correctly and all the FI grounds are good.

Get a volt meter and check the battery with the engine off and with the engine running...report those numbers.

Look at your fuel filter. might need to be replaced...

Rich
dlo914
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 18 2005, 05:53 PM)
I assume its FI.
Check you wiring to the main computer...make sure its plugged in correctly and all the FI grounds are good.

Get a volt meter and check the battery with the engine off and with the engine running...report those numbers.

Look at your fuel filter. might need to be replaced...

Rich

whoops forgot to mention it was carburated (sp) wink.gif
dlo914
ive taken my car to work to have it run through the diagonsis machine. We checked the health of the battery and alternator. Both turned out good. There was some corrosion on the positive battery terminal, but i cleaned it off w/ some neutralizer. Most likely i think it's the alternator acting up. My cousin who i use to take my car to stated it was the alternator, which wasnt recharging the system to an adequate amount of voltage.
r_towle
so, you ran it on a machine...how much was the alternator charging????

With a car of that year....the alternator could be bad/flaky

The starter motor also is part of the charging circuit (the wiring to and from)

The ignition switch is also part of that system.

Rich
dlo914
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 18 2005, 06:56 PM)
so, you ran it on a machine...how much was the alternator charging????

With a car of that year....the alternator could be bad/flaky

The starter motor also is part of the charging circuit (the wiring to and from)

The ignition switch is also part of that system.

Rich

the battery was charging at an average of 13.3 volts, but that was 2 weeks ago. i dont think we've ever changed the alternator on this car. We bought the car brand new in 89. So im not surprised that the alternator finally gave out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.