Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73+ Doors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I'll try this again.
I bought two regulators from a 73 to put in my 72. It seems I might not have enough parts on the glass side. Does anyone have a picture of their 73+ door with the interior panel removed so I can see the mechanism and how it attaches? chowtime.gif
Brad Roberts
I would help you out... but my camera is dead in the water until I locate a new charger for the batteries or my laptop arrives from the race shop in San Diego.

I will tell you that 72's can be pretty screwed up. I have seen 3 different regulators in 72 doors/cars.

First one is the early crappy one...
Second one is a hybrid of the 2...
Third one is the later 73-76 style...

I have seen 72 doors with no extra door supports but late regulators...

B
MarkV
Here is a picture of a late door. The red dots are where the regulator mounts. The blue dots are where the short track mounts to the inside of the door. The regulator has a roller on it that runs back and forth on the short track, I think it is there to support the weight of the glass. Best I can do, not taking a door panel off for you. w00t.gif
boxstr
Just curious, what is it that you are trying to accomplish?? Why not use the 73 door in your 72. I have replaced the regulators in a 71, and it is a completely different beast than the 73 and later regulators. If you are trying to get the weight out of the door then why not try removing the side brace in the 73 door?
CCLINXGAMESX
JeffBowlsby
I thought it was only the 74+ cars that had the door beams? Not the 73 cars...
MarkV
He is trying to update to 73+ regulators on 72- doors. I don't know if that is possible. I have never looked at a 72- door but I would think that is quite different. confused24.gif
MarkV
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Aug 17 2003, 08:05 PM)
I thought it was only the 74+ cars that had the door beams? Not the 73 cars...

Mid 73 change.
Brad Roberts
I'm *probably* going to cut the center out of the acid dip 9146 doors and weld in late guts to accept the later regulators. Pretty easy to do.

B
tracks914
QUOTE(MarkV @ Aug 17 2003, 08:07 PM)
He is trying to update to 73+ regulators on 72- doors. I don't know if that is possible. I have never looked at a 72- door but I would think that is quite different.  :confused:

You hit the nail on the head. I have a 72 door, the car is completely repainted (see link below) and I recently bought 2 - 73 regulators ($10) to replace my broken driver side 72 regulator. I haven't seen any 72 regulators for sale and understand the later models were tougher. I didn't realize at the time the doors were so different inside. The 72's are much lighter but break easily.
Being in Northern Ontario, the only 914 I have ever seen apart is mine.
My door don't have all the supports inside it either. that explains why the panels were so hard to finish "straight".
smash.gif

Tx for the great picture, it helps alot. smash.gif
914werke
Ok Ill chime in.
On my "73" sunflower yellow 2.0 it has the doors devoid of side impact beams. It is stickered (on the door jam) as a build date of 8/72.
It appears to have different reg. from the my 74, and the drivers window already suffers and is on my list of things to correct ...
I have the reg. out of a 74 and when I saw this thread I also thought I could learn how this was possible..because geting the reg out of a door is a BITCH mad.gif Getting it back in and working looks to be worse.
MarkV
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 19 2003, 10:22 AM)
Ok Ill chime in.
On my "73" sunflower yellow 2.0 it has the doors devoid of side impact beams. It is stickered (on the door jam) as a build date of 8/72.

The door impact beams didn't start until mid 73. My 73 car is #6005 built 10/72 & does not have impact beams. All 73 thru 76 have the later improved regulators.
Dave_Darling
First, a picture of just the early regulator mechanism itself with a short description of how it works. (Sorry the text is hard to read. If you complain loud enough I'll try to get a better image of it.)
Dave_Darling
Next, a picture of how it goes in the door. It's in front of the door webs, not behind them, but it should give you the idea.
tracks914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 19 2003, 01:53 PM)
Next, a picture of how it goes in the door. It's in front of the door webs, not behind them, but it should give you the idea.

Putting the 72 back into the 72 is not the problem.
Putting the 73 reg in the 72 door is the challenge.
MarkV
AA has the 70-72 regulators for $434.50. bootyshake.gif

http://www.autoatlanta.com/action.lasso?-d...D=42223&-search
tracks914
QUOTE(MarkV @ Aug 19 2003, 03:20 PM)
AA has the 70-72 regulators for $434.50. bootyshake.gif

I'd raher hack my doors than pay that!!! blink.gif
tracks914
The little plastic wheel that lifts the window was gone from my drivers window when I bought the car. Anyone know of a good way to replace just the end of the cable and wheel? smash.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Aug 19 2003, 05:02 PM)
The little plastic wheel that lifts the window was gone from my drivers window when I bought the car. Anyone know of a good way to replace just the end of the cable and wheel? smash.gif

someone makes a aluminum replacement ...
i've seen it in one of the usual online catalogs.

Andy
Kargeek
A top for your VW-Porsche. Looking for hardware, do dads and pieces, etc? A lot of hardware parts on the 914's were shared with VW as karman built the bodies and shared components. Some of the VW's had the same cable window regulators. I'd look at VW 411's and maybe Beatle, Super Beatle parts for your hard to find plastic roller.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.