Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT-Audi 2.8 A4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RD Evans
Any opinions on a '97 2.8 A4? I have friend that has offered me car at a reasonable price. Really drives well and nicely appointed.
chilli
sad.gif It is an Audi -- nuff said
mike smile.gif
Mark Henry
I hope you have deep pockets come repair time.

Nice cars...Porsche part prices.
Kerrys914
Most users/owner replace the timing belt very close to 60,000miles. Dealer calls for 90, 000 or 100,000 but the guys driving them stick to the 60, 0000 rule.

I have 62,0000 on mine and will replac eit this winter...DIY style. It's over a grand to do in the dealer. Around $300 a nd 2 days DIY'n it

I have an '98 and just replaced the front sus...They creak real bad at some poit...They all do, so I have read.

Check out audiworld.com

Cheers

nein14
Just got a Lazer Red 2000 Audi S 4 BiTurbo , this thing is a blast!!! driving.gif
jgiroux67
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Nov 19 2005, 12:06 PM)
I have an '98 and just replaced the front sus...They creak real bad at some poit...They all do, so I have read.

Whats the front sus? If it has something to do with the steering then thats what is the matter with mine. It creaks all the time. But ya, they are good cars. Too safe and slow but they are still kinda fun.
Kerrys914
99% sure you Lower Control Arms are gone. It cost me $500'ish to replace all arms up front. Not too hard but a full day with a jack and air tools.

Ya the A4's are slow but he S4 John has will MOVE out...I still like mine and it still looks good too. Maybe some rims next summer to fresh'n things up smile.gif driving.gif
fiid
It's interesting - the 2.8 doesn't seem to be radically more performant than the 1.8T. I bet the 1.8 gets better fuel economy and will be lighter to. I think the new 2.0T is probably the best way to go.

The V6 would probably be great in a 914 tho.

Spoke
I have a 97 A6 Quattro with a 2.8L. Engine is mapped for winter driving; low torque at low RPM so you don't spin the wheels in the snow. For the 99% of the driving that I do not-in-snow, I end up manually shifting gears when slowing down and speeding up.

100% agree with Porsche type repair prices although there's a good network of internet OEM Audi parts stores that will save you big $$. Example: Audi tie rod end: $75; TRW tie rod end: $19. Audi brake hoses (rubber piece from chassis to wheel): $35; OEM: $12. About the Porsche type repair prices, my local Audi dealer also sells Porsches and Mercedes...

Creature comfort is as good as it gets with the Audi. Also the A6 is a fantastic road cruiser. Cruised 95-100MPH on a trip to Myrtle Beach on RT95 with no effort or road noise.

I'd probably buy another Audi - used that is. They cost too much off the showroom floor.

Spoke
solex
I bought a new 5 spd 2.8 97 A4 Quattro and was generally happy with it although it did have a few problems (1) the sunroof mechanism need replacement (2) clock, which require the entire console to be replaced (2) the lower control arms. Other then that I did not have any other problems in the 3 years that I owned the car.

I would definately go for a the "sports" suspension, that was my only complaint in terms of handling.

I now have a 03 Passat 1.8t the previous style B5 was identical to my A4. I can concurr that the 1.8T and the 2.8 are very similar in overall performance.

Good Luck,
Dan
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (chilli @ Nov 19 2005, 09:25 AM)
sad.gif It is an Audi -- nuff said
mike smile.gif

Like that's a bad thing? Seems you're behind the times on innovation, quality issues, and value. There are a number of Audi owners on this list, and most of us love 'em. Care to TRY to follow me through some twisties? Especially in bad weather? What other manufacturer has repeatedly seen its production based cars banned from racing because the competition complained they're too fast? Several popular automotive publications have voted this years A8 the best car in its class. The Cap'n
RD Evans
Thanks for everyone's input. I drove the car Friday evening on a 200 mile trip home and loved the way it handled. The price is right 5-6K and the condition of the car seems to be good. I may go for it and go ahead with a new timing belt first thing. Car has 120K, thus the low price. Mileage doesn't really scare me as I have a BMW 528e with close to 400K. Time to retire the beemer.
DuckRyder
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 20 2005, 12:29 PM)
voted this years A8 the best car in its class. The Cap'n

That new A8 is an AWESOME looking car. Saw one in traffic the other day and could not stop staring.

drooley.gif

I always wanted an A6 4.2Q too.

Sorry for the Hijack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.