Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: USB 1.1 versus 2.0 - how to upgrade?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
Some hardware hookups say that one of my PC's in the home is a 1.1 USB versus a 2.0. How do I upgrade? Documentation in the hardware (video cameras) seem to infer it's a software thing...but it's cryptic and not clear to me.

Any help appreciated....I'm hoping I don't have to download the latest MS service pack...everytime I do that there seems to a cause and effect that happens with something else on the computer.

Thanks,

Bill P.
anthony
It's hardware. You would need to add a card to your machine.

Hammy
Simple PCI usb card swap in.
bd1308
why dont you have SP2...?

it's like eating food before you wash your hands....

there's a dozen windows "issues" that the SP2 cures.....

b
jsteele22
As mentioned, USB 2.0 is a new hardware standard, not just software. But as with any hardware, you need the right software to drive it. I don't know the Window$ world very well, but obviously if you're running an old version (pre-USB 2.0) you're gonna have to upgrade (apply a service pack) as well as add a PCI card (which are pretty cheap).

First, though, I would make sure you *need* USB 2.0. I'm guessing that by now, the video camera you have actually does, but make sure it says that it transfers data at "High Speed" i.e., 480 Mbps (mega-bits per second). A lot of sleazebag hardware vendors proudly proclaim USB 2.0 capability, when they really mean USB 2.0 running in "Full Speed" (i.e., 10 Mbps which was around in the USB 1.1 era) mode. If you are just talking about a web cam, a lot of those work fine under USB 1.1.

Short Version : buy a USB 2.0 adapter card (plugs in PCI slot) and make sure your version of Windows is updated for USB 2.0 operation. Alternatively, just buy a new-ish computer that came w/ USB 2.0; brand new you can always do okay w/ a $300 box from Dell.
bd1308
windows XP SP1 does have built-in USB2.0 support.....

being a mac guy (and a video editing buff) myself, I prefer firewire tongue.gif
computers4kids
If you have a CompUsa or similar near you, you can pickup a PCI 2.0 USB add-on card between $13-$30 depending on how many ports you want. If you plan on ever doing video editing with this computer, you might consider getting a combination card that thas fire wire and USB 2.0--cost you another $20.

Many 2.0 USB devices will run just fine on a computer that only has USB 1.1. Unless your device has to have 2.0, I wouldn't worry about it. Your operating system will most likely warn you that you have plugged a high speed device into slower port.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.