Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lighting troubles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thor
My 1975 914/4 2.0 is sometimes used for orientation rally's with a lot of night stages.
The story started with swapping the sealed beames for Lucas units (non H4).
I still wasn't happy with the results and got a pair of Bosch H4's, brand new in the box.
So I pulled the Lucas units out, removed the rubber, took note of the wiring and pulled the wires through the rubber and out of the plugs. The H4's went on, wires back in their plugs, ready for testing.
I pulled the switch and the low beam came on. I tested high beam but to my surprise low beam went out and no high beam.
Since on the last rally the high beams where a bit hard to get on and off and I had a new lever on the shelf I decided to put the new lever in.
So back to testing.
I pulled the switch and ... no low beams only parking lights. I pulled the high beam lever and low beam comes on as long as I pull the lever (as high beam does).

At this moment I don't have a multitester to check supply's but I have a rally on next saturday.

Is it possible that the wires where switched (high beam gives low beam) ? Did something happen to the wiring because of the switch to H4's (I was told it was a clean swap)?

I will have a look at the wiring and post their positions later this evening.

bd1308
monkeydance.gif

i think i know....i'm excited!!!

there's a relay that controls the high beams....it could be out/broken/missing/stepped on/burned by lighter/eaten by wild rabid dogs........

did i win? wacko.gif
r_towle
back up to the beginning.

Put in the original bulbs and see if it all works.

You may have switched one wire on one side and that would make it behave like that...

Also...while you were pulling and twisting....there is a common ground on each side of the car right behind the bulb...make sure its clean.

Also,,,this happens to me alot...way to often...wiggle and reseat all your light fuses....they look ok, they look in the right place...but a little twist and the lights work again....

Rich
goose2
I had Bosch H-4's on a previous 914 and they worked fine....so it's not likely that the lamp change is causing your problem.
Thor
@1308
I had it changed a bit more then a year ago. I still remember this unit being VW or Audi. Original was no longer available. But I'll check it out anyhow.

@R_towle
I allready tried the Lucas units but had the same problems.

What I found somewhat strange is that when looking at the front of the original lever, the copper connectionblade only runs to the top. On the new one it runs both sides of the lever.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.