Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wheels for sheridan kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kevgentile
looking to use sheridan's widebody kit on a 914-6 with the suspension mounting points in there stock location. i plan on using 10's up front and 12's in the rear. for anybody who has used this kit, what backspacing is neccessary to fill out the body with or without spacers?
d914
measure from the hub out to the inside fender edge. Type tires???? slicks?? strightwall or cantilivers??? subtrack tire overhang......take that figure and subtrack form the total width of rim.....ball park I do believe...914's vary from car to car and from side to side....FYI...
kevgentile
a little hard to do without a body actually on the car yet, looking for info from those who have actually used his wide kit.
thanks
nine14cats
One thing to keep in mind is your brake calipers. If you go with really big calipers you may need more use of spacers.

On my narrow body Sheridan kit I was using 5.25 inch backspacing on rims with 16x10's and a 14mm spacer front and 20mm spacer rear. The slicks fit fine. I then switched to a wide body rear but the body work hasn't been hung, so I don't know what the dimensions would be. I'll measure it later this week if I can hang the body work.

Bill P.
J P Stein
Hay Bill,
The 10s I'm using in front (5.5 backspace)cause severe scrub
radius problems. .....the steering is very heavy. E J Fontaine was complaning about the same problem on his car at Sacramento....his was worse than mine. The futher out one spaces them, the worse it would get. I can't go in any farther.
A taller tire might help, but it would have to be unacceptably tall. I'm about ready to go to a narrower wheel tire combo....but not power steering. biggrin.gif

Got any help?
nine14cats
JP,

The steering scrub radius is a problem when moving the track out. The steering effort was acceptable when I was running the canti's mounted on the cookies with a 28mm spacer in front. Any more steering effort and my wife would have had a very hard time at AX. That's why we went to power steering.

Fast forward to the 911 (Fritz) and with the giant tires on that thing the effort is big time. Guess where our PS rack found a home? laugh.gif

I guess maybe you start doing curls? I would have thought that the 16 inch Hoosiers would have been similar to the cant's, but you got to run...I didn't.

Bill P.
J P Stein
Seriously thinking of going to cantis on 8 inch Fuch in front.
There's only a half inch difference in tread width and the
8 inch wheel will stiffen the side walls a bit towards the range
of the straight walls....I hope.
airsix
Another thing to watch in the rear when calculating your backspacing is to be sure you clear the trailing arm.

-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.