Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Home powdercoating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
groot
Has anyone tried it?

Eastwood has a reasonably priced kit... is it anygood?

Eastwood Link
736conver
I bought the kit from harbor freight when it was like $59. I have a stove hooked up out in the garage and everything works excellent. It really is pretty easy. The power coat will not hide any imperfections in the metal though.
Mark Henry
There was a cali cop on this board who did a bunch home PCing and it turn out nice.

I haven't seen him post in quite a long time though.

I also think Rusty did some home PC and it also turned out good.

I think all they used was heat lamps or propane heaters.
bondo
I also have the Harbor Freight gun. I built an oven, but it has exposed fluffy fiberglass insulation, and it's starting to shed on my parts.

It's pretty easy, but to make sure you get good results, use an oven with thermostatic control. It's way too hard to evenly heat a part with a proane heater. Also, don't use Harbor Freight's powder.. it sucks. I get mine from Columbia and Caswell.
736conver
Ditto on the powder. I dont remember where mine is from but it not Harbor freight. When I first started I was using an infared heater. The oven works alot better and easier. Put it in set the timer and wait. Now if I could just throw a pizza in at the same time.

Gint
I have that exact kit and a standard kitchen oven in my garage. I glass bead blasted adn powder coated an entire 914 suspension in my garage. It's easy and a pain in the ass all at the same time. I also recommend Columbia Coatings for powder. There is a local distributor that I get the stuff from. If you're near a major city you can do the same.

Despite the fact that I have all of the equipment to do the job myself and the expereince, I'm going to farm out the suspension for the /6. It just doesn't cost that much to have someone esle do it. That's one weekend I'll have to do other things.
Rusty
I have the Columbia Coatings kit. It came with several pounds of powder. I think Columbia is a small business or maybe even family owned. I was really impressed that the guy I talked to on the phone knew the coating process inside and out. Very friendly, knowledgeable people on the phone rather than a 1-800 order-monkey.

-Rusty smoke.gif

Powdercoating Thread
groot
Good input!! Thanks, guys!
lagunero
If you want to do a lot of small stuff (up to about calipers) a toaster oven should work well, 40 bucks new or 5-10 at a yard sale will get you a exclusive and controlled heat box.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.