Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: scca IT cage rules question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
94teener2

Putting in a cage for SCCA IT racing. Got main hoop to top of rockers (longs?). Am in process of putting in forward bar from main hoop to A pillar to either floor or top of rocker. Much prefer top of rock but the rules state to "floor"(gcr 18.3.c).

Anyone have any experience passing tech (getting logbook) with down tubes mounted to top of the rockers.

thanks
andy
groot
It's not required, but preferred (maybe recommended) to go to the floor. The tech inspector shouldn't give a sh@$.

My prod car's main hoop doesn't go to the floor and no tech inspector has said anything.

Check out a Miata sometime... with any reasonably sized driver, it's impossible to the main hoop on the floor unless you lean it back... no good.
lapuwali
It certainly shouldn't be preferred on a 914. The floor isn't a significant part of the structure. Mounting the base of the main hoops to the long is the right thing to do. Any tech inspector that so literally interprets the rules to insist it must be on the floor in such a car is not fit to be a tech inspector.

HotRod
Do not go to the floor! Go to the top of the rocker. I believe that you have to have a reinforcment of a certian thickness and size (8 inches I think) if you go to the floor. The rocker provides a much more solid place to support both the rear main hoop and the front down tubes (the ones that go along the A pillar). In IT, if I remeber correctly, you can only have 6 mounting points.

Why IT? I would (and did) go production, I started in E Prod then moved to F when the changed the classification for the 1.8.
jhadler
QUOTE (HotRod @ Nov 21 2005, 11:23 AM)
Do not go to the floor! Go to the top of the rocker. I believe that you have to have a reinforcment of a certian thickness and size (8 inches I think) if you go to the floor. The rocker provides a much more solid place to support both the rear main hoop and the front down tubes (the ones that go along the A pillar). In IT, if I remeber correctly, you can only have 6 mounting points.

Why IT? I would (and did) go production, I started in E Prod then moved to F when the changed the classification for the 1.8.

I wouldn't know Andy's actuall motivation, but IT is a whole lot less expensive than Production...

Just a hunch... wink.gif

-Josh2
SirAndy
top of the long in the front!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
94teener2
Thanks Guys!!! Top of the longs it is.

Why IT? Much less expensive. Someday maybe I'll move up. Going with a 1.7 which is now in ITC. Should be reasonably competitive with 510s. I beat up on them with an ITA 2 liter a few years back. (not saying much, a ITA car beating up on a ITC car, but I'll take it)

Lots to do before drivers school!

thanks again

andy

TC/914
Oh, and make sure that the mounting plates have the required number of square inches. We had to re-do the rears, behind the seats, in the TR8 because they were too small.

Luck,

TC

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.