Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need all of your superior guidance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rpmmaxxed
k, I found a bargain 1.7

Questions are as follows:

1: with a set of dual weber 34 ict's, what are my limitations on a larger set of piston/cylinders?(94, 96-103mm?)

2: is it even possible to install the larger pistons and cylinders on the 1.7 engine?

3: Am I being foolish.

Thanks to all of you who take time to post your opinions and information.

I'll take all that I can get...
messix
1:none
2:yes
3:yes
rpmmaxxed
please dont take this the wrong way, but might I ask why im foolish?

Should I just get a 2.0 and go from there?

Thank you for the carb info.
Brando
pass up the bargain 1.7 and look for a bargain 2.0 if carbs (not Djet) is your intention.
rpmmaxxed
the search continues. Rather, the saving for engine will continue...

Thanks fella's, sometimes we need the sense slapped into us.
messix
1.7 can be built up [jake might chime in any time] bring bucks. used 2.0 are around but its a crap shoot on condition [search the onion thread]. not all 2.0 are 914 motors t4 bus motors are not the same [lower compression and different heads]

i think jake shop is called massive t4 he's kinda the mad scientist ofd t4 motors

messix
ohh and what makes you foolish.......... whadda think? you bought a 914!
rpmmaxxed
I would love to ahve some work done by jake, but I just dont have that kinda green at this time.

I was gonna try and keep the engine section of the car to below a 1K cost.

The 1.7 costing $100, carbs $200, Pistons and cylinders $400, and then go out and find a cam.

I was gonna tear it apart, clean it up, do a mild rebuild, install the parts, and get her back together and in the car at a local shop that I I used to work in.

I have a 1.7 in the car now, and she runs fine, just a real smoker.

And if at any time someone doesn an in depth write up on a turbo build, well. Lets just say that regardless of where I am in the car progress, thats what im doin.

I have found a 2.0 with carbs from bhfast, whom seems to be a great guy willing to work with me, I just gotta get the last bit of cash...

Thanks again guys, its you fella's that keep guys like me goin back to the car and gettin dirty again, and again...

*edit* I know im foolish, but I love the teener. The only guy in the parking lot at school with one, not many can say that.

I love this life...
messix
low on cash is all right. and low buck when you have to to keep it on the road is all right too.

nothing wrong with pulling that 1.7 out and rering and valve and guide job for the same as a used 2.0 is another option.

you'll hear others talk about the only right to do this and that, but its your car and your wallet, many have been in your shoes. some good advise and experience can be gleamed from this non-club we have here.

welcom and good luck
rpmmaxxed
I would pull the 1.7 out and work on the one I got, but its my daily driver, I cant let her be out of order for that long of time.

The next couple weeks will reveal alot about the future of the teener.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.