Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: chevy 307 for conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
not a good choice. I've read that gross HP may be 200 but that net HP is about 75% of this number and that 307 are very poor on gas mileage to top it off. Since sbc conversion parts are hard to come by - I guess I will contact KEP for most of this stuff. Jim
BIGKAT_83
Run Forest run!!!!!!!!!

Bob dead horse.gif
ClayPerrine
Avoid the 307 if at all possible!!!

It was a low compression emissions motor. Big chamber heads and lots of smog junk on it.

The only thing the 307 was good for was keeping the small block alive during that time. The enviromentalists, smog nazi's and bean counters wanted to kill the small block.

There are lots of small blocks available for the same money that would work MUCH better in your car.
jimkelly
Yup - that is what I expected - thanks guys.

I'll keep looking for a decent 350.

Jim
914GT
A 307 has some advantages if you'd like to go with a shorter-stoke small block. It has the same stroke as the 327 at 3.25" but smaller bore, same as the 283 block at 3.875". You could take the large-journal crank out of that 307 and put into a 350 block for a 327. You could safely bore the 307 to get about a max. 317 cu. in. displacement.

If going with the 307 I would install some flat top pistons which are not expensive. Also look for a set of 77-85 305 heads for much better performance. If using the stock heads I would consider some pocket-porting and make sure the valves/seats are meant for unleaded gas.

The other emissions controls on the 307s were part of the intake and exhaust manifolds that you will not use for a 914 V8 conversion anyway. The block is perfectly OK and it would make a nice engine if you upgrade the pistons and heads. It's a much better choice as compared to the 305 block.
propricer
If you're going to stick with the 901, suggest you consider using the 283 or 327. They are GREAT motors and will be more 'mate-friendly' to the 901 ... consider, by the way, making a tall box ( flipped H into 5th, zd into 4th and flipped v into 3rd ).
Andyrew
I'd say 327 as well!

No way Im ever going to use the tq from 1k-2krpm's that the 350 has (even with a big cam....)

jimkelly
Is there any way to search www.cariagslist.com for more than one city?

I'd love to be able to search all us cities at once for a 327.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.