Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: funky shifting '73 teener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
I finally got my teener but while " getting familiar " with my new baby I orginily found that I kept nicking 2nd -- So I was going to install the heavy duty springs to help w/ this .. but then the more I drove it I noticed that occasionaly when I shift into 1st it grinds at a dead stop ?!

--I have noticed that from what I understand is that it should idle about 900-1000 rpm -- mine is idleing closer to 12-1300 rpm -- is this the issue ... or just a part of it .... huh.gif blink.gif

thanks for te help

mike
tat2dphreak
prolly just needs new bushings... and a clutch adjustment.

idle- FI or carbs?
sk8kat1
'73 2.0 FI

I asked the guy I bought it from .. actually off here .. he had said that he replaced the bushings like a year ago .. ball cup and the firewall busshing ?

sk8kat1
...how hard are clutch adjustments?
blitZ
I had a similar problem upon receiving mine a few months ago. If the bushing have been replaced, check the clutch adjustment as suggested and/or replace the clutch cable. The replacement resolved my problems. Try the cheaper solutions first.
shaggy
adjusting the clutch is easy enough for me to do it and i miss threaded an oil filter

all you do it get under the car and find the throw out bearing on the pass. side of the tranny at the ass of the car

youll see some thing holding the clutch cable to the arm of the throw out bearing
i dont know what yours will be like but on mine i replaces the stock plastic part with a 7mm wing nut thing made for the vw beatle ($.98 at FLAPS)
then i just tightened it until it was stiff and then checked it at the pedal
there should be .75'' of play

when i did mine it was right on the first shot i didnt measure it or anything i just felt it with my foot

when you do this you also wanna check the firewall to make sure that the clutch cable hasnt chewed its way down the wall
if that has happened i have no idea what to do

hope that helps
-shag
bd1308
QUOTE (shaggy @ Nov 21 2005, 01:40 PM)
adjusting the clutch is easy enough for me to do it and i miss threaded an oil filter

laugh.gif w00t.gif
r_towle
In the getting to know your car phase......

Change the tranny oil...
your car will shift better with new fluid.

Check all the adjustments to your shifter...it could be mis adjusted and between that, the clutch adjustment, and new fluid...it will make alot of difference...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.