Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: long day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
okay....last weekend my car would crap four quarter-sized puddles of tranny oil....

mad.gif

so i go today to FLAPS to see about getting some O-rings....(it's like a quart or so low)

yawn.gif

find them, bought a gallon of tranny oil to top it off with....go to undo the speedo drive and....

SPLAT! goes a full Trinity Shamrocks cup full of tranny fluid.

excellent
ar15.gif

ok...i find a o-ring that fits...put the speedo drive back in and...huh? what's that wire thing coming out of the bolt to tighten the sender down???

ar15.gif ar15.gif The helicoil broke.....and the bolt is a gonner.

*SIGH* go in and buy the helicoil repair kit...i have like no money left. and go out and begin tapping the hole and putting in the helicoil insert in like 25 degree weather...it lasted two hours.

but its back, and the helicoil was fun....once it worked.

pictures will come tomorrow.

b
Flat VW
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 21 2005, 04:34 PM)
okay....last weekend my car would crap four quarter-sized puddles of tranny oil....

mad.gif

so i go today to FLAPS to see about getting some O-rings....(it's like a quart or so low)

yawn.gif

find them, bought a gallon of tranny oil to top it off with....go to undo the speedo drive and....

excellent
ar15.gif

ok...i find a o-ring that fits...put the speedo drive back in and...huh? what's that wire thing coming out of the bolt to tighten the sender down???

ar15.gif ar15.gif The helicoil broke.....and the bolt is a gonner.

*SIGH* go in and buy the helicoil repair kit...i have like no money left. and go out and begin tapping the hole and putting in the helicoil insert in like 25 degree weather...it lasted two hours.

but its back, and the helicoil was fun....once it worked.

pictures will come tomorrow.

b

It was nearly 80 degrees here today Britt. happy11.gif

John poke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 21 2005, 05:34 PM)

=================================
Tech Tip 312:

before removing the speedo drive shaft, jack up the rear of the car as high as possible to avoid spilling of transmission oil.
=================================

biggrin.gif Andy
sjhowitson
Way to stay with it. I would have given up and opened a beer aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
SLITS
Uhh Britt.....the speedo drive is a BIG HOLE in the cover plate and if you remove it with the tranny full of oil......................................

OR

"Hey, I think I'll remove the drain plug and see if I can see any oil"

poke.gif
Flat VW
Nothing quite like the aroma of used, 90 weight. ph34r.gif

John
SLITS
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Nov 21 2005, 05:43 PM)

John

It's great on sandwiches with a beer chaser. icon8.gif .............

It's even better when the wind is blowing 10000000 mph at Willow and you get "crunchy" sandwiches.

Hi John
markb
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Nov 21 2005, 04:43 PM)

John

barf.gif
bd1308
i just wasnt thinking...i should have known that the event would have happened.

it was kinda funny though.

the whole time i said "could this day get any better?" and it did. both when i lost the transmission oil and when the bolt messed up.

good part is that i flushed my transmission oil....looked a little 30 years old to me.

i sjhowitson, almost went your path. Just walked away..... beer3.gif

oh and thanks slits for your 2 cents.... tongue.gif

andy i have nothing to comment about your post. tongue.gif

john.... dry.gif

b
bd1308
i cant even describe what i smell like.....

i did get one of my door prizes installed today though.....pics come tomorrow.

i'm going to go take a shower....have yourself a nice chuckle smile.gif

b biggrin.gif
SLITS
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 21 2005, 06:47 PM)
i cant even describe what i smell like.....

i did get one of my door prizes installed today though.....pics come tomorrow.

i'm going to go take a shower....have yourself a nice chuckle smile.gif

b biggrin.gif

Britt,
I won't chuckle or laugh or any of that. I spent the better part of my highschool years screwing up things on my car. I acutally pulle the driveshaft out of a 69 firebird with the transmission overfull of fluid. WAY overfull. Needless to say I was downstream of the red deluge that came out the back of the transmission. My father was pissed about the red stain on the driveway, and my mother was pissed that I stained the bathtub red and clogged the drain cleaning myself up.

Remember, you are learning from all this. You have a lot of friends here with more experience than you, which is a big advantage. When I was learning all I had was a book and the hearsay of the guys my age. And most of that was wrong info.

We will always help out. Just be persistent. We know you can do it.
Aaron Cox
which bolt did you strip?

how did you keep metal chunks from going into the case when tapping it????

did you change fluid after?

so it was leaking out the speedo drive oring?

i pulled the oil filter off my motor and all the oil back fed from the front cooler into the sandwhich pate... onto me and my driveway.
lucky i was wearing my CDOC coveralls.... poke.gif
bd1308
clay, we do have a grand group of people here.

i appreciate everyone here, if you all weren't here....i dunno what i'd be doing, or driving for that matter.

the worst part was the cold. it was intresting to see how the helicoil works.

b
bd1308
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 21 2005, 07:24 PM)

i pulled the oil filter off my motor and all the oil back fed from the front cooler into the sandwhich pate... onto me and my driveway.

nothing i stripped there was.

a buggered bolt was put into a clipped helicoil and mashed into my transmission...the bolt holds the speedo drive in place.

the fluid leaked out of the o-ring. a FLAPS pack of assorted orings proved useful to find a replacement.

well AA, if you ever do what i did, the hole where the bolt goes is actually open...so i was able to clean the metal shavings out....some people use heavy grease to make the filings stick. i was able to clean it out very well.

everything worked out fine..i'll even take pics!

AA, you need a check valve for that oil line.

b
scotty b
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 21 2005, 05:29 PM)

a buggered bolt was put into a clipped helicoil and mashed into my transmission...the bolt holds the speedo drive in place.

the fluid leaked out of the o-ring. a FLAPS pack of assorted orings proved useful to find a replacement.

well AA, if you ever do what i did, the hole where the bolt goes is actually open...so i was able to clean the metal shavings out....some people use heavy grease to make the filings stick. i was able to clean it out very well.

b

ohmy.gif Is Britt giving Aaron advice??
Will the tranny ever go into gear again??
Is it currently snowing in Hell??

Tune in next week at the same bat time, same bat channel for the answer to these and many other questions........ wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
LOL
bd1308
QUOTE (scotty b @ Nov 21 2005, 07:51 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 21 2005, 05:29 PM)

b

ohmy.gif Is Britt giving Aaron advice??
Will the tranny ever go into gear again??
Is it currently snowing in Hell??

Tune in next week at the same bat time, same bat channel for the answer to these and many other questions........ wacko.gif

tranny shifts fine. 2nd still grinds a tiny bit when cold, but borrowing 3rd works.

no leaks. and no more bouncy speedo.

b
McMark
Yeah, that speedo retaining screw is a PITA most of the time. I'm not sure if they were HeliCoiled from the factory, but every one I've seen so far has been. wacko.gif

Congrats on your success though. clap.gif That's what it's all about.
scotty b
huh.gif Wait a minute. You fixed the oil leak from the engine, correct?? Now you,ve fixed the leak on the tranny correct? That would mean you have a non-leaking 914??? I ain't buying it dry.gif That would be a leak free Porsche AND a leak free VW. Not possible no way, nuh-uh

You have come a long way young Dodd. Now your journey must continue alone. For only you can find the torque.........
bd1308
scariest thing was making sure everything was lined up just perfectly

the tap kinda just threaded in straight though.

27.99 was alot to pay for the kit...but it saved me probably 150 dollars from the p-mechanic.

the VW guy would have just stuck some bubblegum in there.

and i still have the kit for when I re-do my exhaust studs....

b
McMark
$27.99 is cheap for that kit. Apparently I need to yell at my parts place. dry.gif

Oh, and this is for you: smiley_notworthy.gif
bd1308
somehow by the grace of god was I able to come up with that money.

thanks for the emoticon. But there are people here who greatly outweigh my talents.

b
Gint
This thread wuz sum funny $hit...

I was jumping my wife's jeep's starter solenoid with a large pry bar a few years back. I touched the oil filter (unknowingly at the time) with the pry bar while also touching the 12 volt post of the solenoid. As soon as she started, it started spewing oil all over the driveway. I yell to shut it off and pop the hood to find that I had arc'd a hole in the oil filter.

Caught it in time, no harm no foul. But cleaning up oil from the driveway in the dead of winter sucks.
SLITS
Several years ago I was buttoning up the race car for a start in the shop. I jumped in the seat and fired her off. The next thing I felt was a "rain" shower of engine oil.

Seems I had not connected the oil pressure guage line and the 1/8" fitting shot the oil 30' to the ceiling (in a solid stream) and splatted against the roof and rained back down on me. Oil showers are cool sad.gif
DNHunt
Remember, you are learning from all this. You have a lot of friends here with more experience than you, which is a big advantage. When I was learning all I had was a book and the hearsay of the guys my age. And most of that was wrong info.

Clay it sound like you're helping him with his love life. Oh wait he smells like gear lube, no help possible,

Dave
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Nov 22 2005, 08:38 AM)

Clay it sound like you're helping him with his love life. Oh wait he smells like gear lube, no help possible,

Dave

In a way I am. I am helping him with his automotive love life.

No, Britt.... that is NOT what the tailpipe is for!!!!! wink.gif

(Kinda gives a new meaning to the word "autoerotica") lol2.gif
Flat VW
THIS IS LAURIE - JOHN'S WIFE (Hi Britt wavey.gif ). John started reading me this thread and I felt the need to contribute. . .

So, we're on this road trip. boldblue.gif Taking the new car all the way to Indiana huh.gif Had a great time, met some nice people, saw some beautiful country, met up with old friends, favorite aunt and uncle, lots of fun. Time to spend 4 days in the car to return by THURSDAY NIGHT when I HAD TO BE HOME to relieve my parents from guardianship duties of Shaggy and Tettster. I have PROMISED my mother that if we break down I will hop on a Greyhound bus or an airplane to be back in time for them to go on their vacation Friday morning.

Things are good; we're seeing cows (every one of them bigger than our pregnant cows here in Arizona), horses, beautiful farms, Lincoln's home in Springfield, Illinois, Mark Twain's home in Hannibal, Missouri, eating every few hours in quaint small town diners with stately old court houses and beautiful old churches when we need to stretch our legs, la la, la la, la la.

Had a hard time finding a motel and some dinner about 10pm on our second night. Pulled into an older dive of a motel somewhere in Seneca, Kansas after a very long day. Couldn't get luggage out of the front trunk because it wouldn't open - no one cares, we're too tired. Get up to a frosty morning and an early start, needing to get the trunk popped because we aren't going anywhere without fuel. pray.gif Needing gasoline quickly becomes the least of our problems. Car won't start. Car not even thinking about starting. We go from no trunk to no fuel to no spark to no crank in about 5 minutes. I'm looking for the nearest Greyhound station. We haven't seen even a Volkswagon bug in the last two states we've been in. Repairs by others are going to be hard to come by. We begin calling several of you wonderful 914 guys for advice and moral support. rolleyes.gif We tinker in the parking lot on the main drag for three hours and backfire our way into the hearts of the locals. The woman who owned the hotel was so thrilled that she granted me a whole 15 minutes of late checkout time even though her little motel was 95% empty. I find myself sitting in the driver's seat driving-girl.gif (an anomaly) with a mate who is in his hyper-communication mode. He's oh so careful and precise - /"DON'T TURN THE KEY", "I WON'T TURN THE KEY" / "TURN THE KEY HALF WAY", "I'M TURNING THE KEY HALF WAY"/ "TURN THE KEY ALL THE WAY AND TRY TO START THE CAR", "I'M TURNING THE KEY ALL THE WAY AND TRYING TO START THE CAR"... Eventual success on all counts and we're on the road again . . beerchug.gif

Long day after a late start. Goal is to reach my brother in Colorado Springs. My 4 year old niece is trying to be patient about our arrival. Finally give up on our destination for the night after a 9pm meal saps the last of our energy. We'll be there bright and early the next morning, hopefully soon after she wakes up. In another dive motel in Limon, Colorado. We have an entire building to ourselves if we don't die of chlorine gas poisoning from the indoor pool. I finish showering while he braves the car starting process. Won't start. No biggie. We've got experience. "Come out here and help me" "Get in the car" "Start the car" driving-girl.gif Well - gone is my oh so careful hyper-communicating mate. My normal guy mate is standing on the passenger side at the engine doing his usual whatever it is that he does. I start the car just like I did yesterday and the car lurches forward. ohmy.gif It lurches forward onto his foot. "YOU'RE ON MY FOOT!!!" Oh no "YOU'RE ON MY FOOT - THE CAR'S ON MY FOOT" Panic - I'm breaking his foot RIGHT NOW. I can't start this car to drive it off his foot because the car won't start "YOU'RE ON MY FOOT" I'm gonna have to find a hospital "PUT THE CLUTCH IN" I don't have a working car to drive him to the hospital "PUT THE CLUTCH IN" Maybe my brother will help me get to a hospital - he's only two hours away "PUT THE CLUTCH IN" synapses connected, adrenaline rush clears for a moment and I put the clutch in. My surly mate pushes the car off of his foot. Dead silence. (Cudos to him) wub.gif A strange and awkward silence ensues. I bite the inside of my cheeks to keep from laughing. He seems to be able to walk...in fact, he's walking it off...maybe he won't hate me...maybe he'll be okay...oh my God I think he's okay...a few more minutes and it's not throbbing, yet...several more minutes and he's still walking and it's not throbbing...okay, I finally quit biting my cheek and let out a peal of laughter...I don't think he's going to kill me...maybe for laughing, but not for his foot...

I said I'm so sorry for driving over your foot unsure.gif He said it's not the driving over my foot that was the problem, it was the parking on my foot that was the problem wacko.gif

bd1308
hi laurie.

while writing this, i was trying to keep my tuna from falling off the little crackers... wacko.gif so far, i have tuna on my chair, the desk and my pantlegs.

that was a good story....i hope john is okay....?

john needs his tools in the back trunk! w00t.gif

you're story is far more better smile.gif

b
scotty b
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 22 2005, 10:38 AM)
so far, i have tuna on my chair, the desk and my pantlegs.

Damn I miss drunken college girls.

Oh you mean actual Tuna fish huh? blink.gif
bd1308
the actual fish.

b
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (scotty b @ Nov 22 2005, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 22 2005, 10:38 AM)
so far, i have tuna on my chair, the desk and my pantlegs.

Damn I miss drunken college girls....

Oh you mean actual Tuna fish huh? blink.gif

LOL - i was going to say the same thing laugh.gif
bd1308
allright allright....calm down peopple.

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.