Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2+ years into the project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
After more than 2 years of piecing the car back together I got to take her out for the first drive driving.gif

It was a bit rough and I now have many more things to add to the to do list -LOL. But it still put a huge smile on my face. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

fiid
from that very small picture - your car looks awesome. post more pics biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
seanery
clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif driving.gif driving.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif
fiid
Oh yeah - and congratulations!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I drove my car in a more spirited way than I have for a long time last night - it's a great feeling, eh??
Doug Leggins
There is still alot of work to do to complete the car. But she's come a long way.

The drive started out well but I developed some issues.

When i started out the car would start right up. When I got back she would barely turn over.... Had to push her back in the garage sad.gif

When I started out all of the lights were functioning. When I got back the right turn signal would not work and the right headlight was out sad.gif

When i started the car would throttle up well. I was pumping the throttle on the way home to keep the RPMs up sad.gif

But, when I started the car had zero miles. Now she has 4 boldblue.gif boldblue.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif rocking nana.gif rocking nana.gif rocking nana.gif

Been waiting for that first drive for months!!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
Nice color!!!! beer.gif
Flat VW
Congratulations Doug smilie_pokal.gif

John

P.S Howdy William wavey.gif

Was he your first passenger Doug?
Flat VW
QUOTE (fiid @ Nov 21 2005, 07:02 PM)
from that very small picture - your car looks awesome.  post more pics  :D  :D  :D  :D

It is a VERY FINE automobile, the workmanship is first rate. smilie_pokal.gif

John
MattR
Wow that car is beautiful. I've seen some of the progress pics, but not a complete shot of the car. THAT is what a stock 914 is supposed to look like. Great job!

Is that an early (53?) vette in the background?
jd74914
Really nice car. I can't wait to see it finished. smilie_pokal.gif

Umm Matt, the earliest vettes are 54s (like this one seems to be, 54 or 55). . . cough, cough
MattR
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Nov 21 2005, 07:25 PM)
Umm Matt, the earliest vettes are 54s (like this one seems to be, 54 or 55). . . cough, cough

"On June 30, 1953 the Corvette went into full production (each car was built by hand) at the GM facility in Flint, Michigan, where 300 Corvettes were built that year. All 1953 Corvettes were white with a red interior, all had Powerglide automatic transmissions mated to 150 HP, six cylinder engines with three carburetors and dual exhaust. This is the rarest Corvette. Of the 300 built, 255 are accounted for today."

Its a long shot, but they still exist wink.gif
Doug Leggins
Was he your first passenger Doug?

He will be. I was a little too nervous to take William, or anyone, on the first drive. I sort of purposely do not have a passenger seat installed yet. He tried hard to convince me that it would be safe for him to ride on the passenger floor -LOL.

Flashback to 2003.
jd74914
QUOTE (MattR @ Nov 21 2005, 10:27 PM)
Its a long shot, but they still exist wink.gif

Ok fine. I almost put in that unless it was a handbuilt prototype it was a 54-55. Damn dry.gif
MattR
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Nov 21 2005, 07:32 PM)
Its a long shot, but they still exist  ;)

Ok fine. I almost put in that unless it was a handbuilt prototype it was a 54-55. Damn dry.gif

It wouldnt be the first time a handbuilt prototype fell in the hands of a club member biggrin.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Nov 21 2005, 07:32 PM)
Its a long shot, but they still exist  ;)

Your gonna wish you had. wink.gif

John
SpecialK
Can't verify (but Doug can), but I thought I heard someone saying at the 2004 FFC that all the cars were Indy Pace Cars.....not sure about the Vette though.
Pnambic
Nope, not all of them are pace cars, though he may also have a replica of every Chevy pace car there was. Incredible collection!

Congrats Doug! Got a few more miles on it this time than when I was down there....hahaha. Great news to hear.

beer.gif

So I guess you're not done with those Carb books yet... wink.gif
TJB/914
Doug.

Beautiful job on the 914. Can't wait to see it in person. The first ride is always special. You should be very proud of yourself.

Tom
BTW
MattR, you are absolutely correct on the 53 Corvette history. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 54 Corvette's were also all white w/powerglide trans. & a very small number produced. I know the 55's were the first ones with the V/8 and only available with powerglide. One of my best friends bought a medium blue one & wrecked it. He hit the local police car head on and they both ended up in the ditch (no one was injured, he was stone drunk). The fiberglass body was totaled. Another good friend bought a 56 Red vette that had a 4-speed & dual carbs. We raced the local streets in my 57 E-bird (thats 2-4-bbl carbs). I grew up in the 50's and didn't know I was having so much fun. Still waiting to grow up.
TINCAN914
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Nov 21 2005, 07:25 PM)
Really nice car. I can't wait to see it finished. smilie_pokal.gif

No my friend 53 was the first year that the Corvette was produced. I htink his is a 55 or 57..Just my 2 cents. biggrin.gif

OH and grat job on the car Doug!!! clap.gif clap.gif
MattR
QUOTE (Thomas J Bliznik @ Nov 21 2005, 07:55 PM)
MattR, you are absolutely correct on the 53 Corvette history.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 54 Corvette's were also all white w/powerglide trans. & a very small number produced.  I know the 55's were the first ones with the V/8 and only available with powerglide.

I dont know much about the corvettes history, Ive just been going to car shows for a while and pick stuff up (and my dad is a big chevy fan). I use manheim gold to get production numbers, engine sizes, and approximate value. According to manheim gold, there were 3,640 1954 corvettes made, all with 6 cylinder engines. In '55, there were about 700 made, all with a V8. In '55, there appears to be a 3 speed option. So maybe some left the factory without powerglides?

I know the 55-56-57 era a little better. My mom has a 56 no post Bel Air, and I grew up loving that car and researching the era like crazy. I dont remember most of the facts I learned, but its coming back wink.gif

sorry for the hijack doug! I'll stop, I promise. hijacked.gif
Doug Leggins
The white vette in the background is a 54. My father-in-law has owned it for years. He used to have it dispalyed in his Chevrolet dealership. I know a bit about corvettes. My father-in-law is a walking corvette encyclopedia.

1953 was the first year for the corvette, 300 were made. All were white with red interior. In 1954 other colors were available. A few years back my father-in-law had a red 54 and a blue 54 also. The red was original color and needed restored. The blue corvette was amazing! It had about 9000 original miles and was absolutely beautiful. The blue car is now in Mid America Direct's collection.

And now back to the 914.

Wow that car is beautiful. I've seen some of the progress pics, but not a complete shot of the car. THAT is what a stock 914 is supposed to look like. Great job!

Thanks! I saw my first 914 when I was about 15. It was signal orange. I bought my first 914 when I was about 35. For 20 years when I thought of 914's I thought of a signal orange 914. When I decided to build one it just had to be signal orange.
Doug Leggins
Here's a good option for the 914 owners that also enjoy corvettes and camaros.

Come to next year's FFC and we can carve out an hour or so and spend some time looking at some good ol' Chevrolets too.
Gint
Absolutely beautiful Doug. Congratualations on the maiden voyage. One of these days...
GWN7
Doug....wtg smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
IanStott
I can't wait for mine to be finished! I drove mine around for a week before I started restoring it, what a blast. I hope mine turns out as nice as yours, you did a nice job.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
bottomend
Sweet car. Perfect color!
Root_Werks
Car looks great! 4 whole miles! Woo Hoo! laugh.gif
bd1308
i saw this car in person.....

I wasn't alive in the 70s, but i would even go as far as saying that this car was showroom new quality....

sure seemed eerie looking at this car with no dirt or oil anywhere......

Doug, you did a fantastic job on this car...i was in the pit looking up and everything was *perfect*....your list and style paid off.

thanks for showing me around your parts stash too.

b
nomore9one4
Very inspiring.Thank you for the post! clap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.