Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914s on the track with GGR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
Ok.
Used to be years ago that there were more 914s at a GGR timetrial than any other type of Porsche...
Now we are lucky to have 3-4 total.
In years past, we would have anywhere from 15-20 4 bangers, along with various 914-6 iterations.
Now practically nill.
So plan on coming out and playing with us next season.
I know Trekkor and KenH and maybe Nathan and Grantsfo will be out.
Think about it, even if you don't want to TT you can be part of our HSDS (DE) on Saturdays.
IF you do the HSDS you don't have to make any particular modifications to your car. Just 3 point belts and a self-tech, helmet and the desire to drive the big track with expert GGR instruction.
Ask Trekkor or Nathan about it.
smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif

If anyone wants more information about any of this let me know. I will be happy to fill you in.

Get those Norcal 914s off of jackstands, come on out to the track and have more fun than you thought was possible with your clothes on. driving.gif driving.gif boldblue.gif
Trekkor
It'll be good smilie_pokal.gif

GGR-TimeTrial Info

Season opener at Sears...

KT
9146R
Dan,

Thanks for the prompt - I have been "dormant" too damn long with GGR track days. I had some great times running in 2001-3. OK - I will be sure to get out to some of the nearby tracks with you, Trekkor and the other 914 club members. I wanna be a star in Trekkors next in-car movie !!!

biggrin.gif
DanT
Greg,
What car were you running then?
SirAndy
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Nov 21 2005, 08:38 PM)
If anyone wants more information about any of this let me know. I will be happy to fill you in.

yes, fill me in!
the car will be ready for the '06 season, including some more "uhmpf" ... boldblue.gif

i went to the ground school 3 years ago. they were supposed to send me stuff afterwards. never heard back from them. confused24.gif

so, how do i get started ???
driving.gif Andy
DanT
Andy,
Once your car is ready, take it to one of the free techs in January.
Check the GGR website as Trekkor has suggested.
There are track maps and descriptions for the tracks that we go to.
Biggest thing is having your car ready for tech.
They check everything on a lift from ball joints, bearings, CVs, leaks tires, brakes, safety equip. blah, blah, blah
If you are just doing HSDS then it is much simpler.
On the GGR website under Timetrial there is a bunch of information on all of this.
Trekkor
What is considered an oil leak?

Someone told me once, "If they were strict with oil leaks, there'd be no Porsches on the track".

I've got some hanging drips here and there.
Not enough to always leave a mark or make smoke.

KT
DanT
You should be OK Trekkor.
They are looking for major stuff.
As you say all Porsches leak to some extent.
nine14cats
I'm going to try my best to join you guys later in the season with The Beast. The sixer won't be as buffed as first thought, but she will still be awfully quick and fun to dice on the track.

I'm currently looking at the engine build for her....GT4 2.8 or a 3.0 liter Drivers Ed derivitive. Either way....230HP in a semi-tube 914 will be a knockin' by August 2006. smilie_pokal.gif

Bill P.
Nor.Cal.914
Do you have to be fast to drive this kind of thing? Let me know. Thanks
-Chris
DanT
We don't expect any newbie to be fast.
You are there to learn during your first several Timetrials.
And if you do the HSDS, learning is what it is all about...period.
You come out and go as fast as you and your instructor are comfortable with.
Learing car control, the safe line, flags, track manners, is what it is all about. biggrin.gif
nebreitling
can't wait to get out there, learn, gain some experience, and play with you guys. i was extremely impressed with the GGR instruction i recieved at the HSDS, even if my car wasn't up to the task.

next season i should have the oil cooler, roll bar, and the leaks fixed. mueba.gif (and hopefully i'll be racing karts on a regular basis)
Nor.Cal.914
Man that sounds like a blast! I'd like to try that out if I could.
-Chris
DanT
QUOTE (fiid @ Nov 21 2005, 10:19 PM)
I'll run if they'll let me do fun-runs, or have an open class.

what are you talking about?
Fun runs? this is not an AX!
What do you mean by "open class"?
Every Porsche that runs with GGR timetrial series must be Porsche, chassis, motor.
Most of our classes require the tranny and brakes to be Porsche also.
No subie or bowtie conversions allowed to participate in TT.
9146R
Dan,

Same car...GM class. My first event was the hsds at Thill spring 2000....blew the engine coming out of turn 15 (went 3rd into 2nd instead of 4th) OUCH. Rebuild time to 2.4 from 2.2) did Seca that year and Bwillow. Then a couple more days in 2001 and 2002. Slacked big time after that. Only did a few autox's last couple years. So, I need to dust off the driving suit in 2006 and join the fun. I'll likely re-take the ground school. Thanks again for keeping us informed and motivated.

I am anxious to do some laps with you and our pals from 914club...

Greg
nine14cats
Hi Fiid,

There is a boatload of track clubs that you can run with. Don't worry about the Time Trial series. PCA's charter for larger regions has always been Porsche only (if they have a full field).

You can run with in no particular order:

Trackmasters
Northern California Racing Club (NCRC)
NASA HPDE
Coastal Driving School (CDS)

Just to name a few. There is literally an event you can run in every weekend in California. Many of us run in multiple clubs. It's more about matching your schedule to what's out there.

Bill P.
grantsfo
Yeah I'll get out for GGR TT next year. I just need to find cost effective rollbar and engine for my car.

No lack of desire to drive - my car just hasnt been ready for the track.

I'll be doing the kart thing first part of next year as well.
DanT
icon_bump.gif
fiid
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Nov 21 2005, 10:25 PM)
QUOTE (fiid @ Nov 21 2005, 10:19 PM)
I'll run if they'll let me do fun-runs, or have an open class.

what are you talking about?
Fun runs? this is not an AX!
What do you mean by "open class"?
Every Porsche that runs with GGR timetrial series must be Porsche, chassis, motor.
Most of our classes require the tranny and brakes to be Porsche also.
No subie or bowtie conversions allowed to participate in TT.

Can non-porsche 914s take part in the Drivers Ed / HSDS part of the event?

That's basically what I meant.
DanT
That would probably be up to the TT chairman since they are the ones that also officiate for the HSDS.
Usually we are completely filled with Porsches so I doubt your conversion would make the show. It would not hurt for you to contact the TT chair (Andrew Forrest)
and see what he has to say. smile.gif
J P Stein
I'd love to run TT. The SCCA is supposed to start doing them up here. They had their first this last summer, but I missed it. I'd even do some DE in preperation for a good number of TTs per year....realign my suspenders, but not for one.

PCA doesn't seemed interested in doing any.

DanT
JP, I assume you mean your local region of PCA?
PCA-GGR has been doing Time Trials for just about 30 years now.
We were one of the first PCA regions in the US to do them.
Go to a board meeting or at least give your region President a call...or your region Competition Dircetor if you have one.
there may be other folks up your way wanting to TT or DE but no one has stepped forward to start it up. wink.gif
SirAndy
so what do i need for TT ???

i got a roll-cage and 5-point harness. anything else?

what's the path to get there?

groundschool -> DE -> TT ????

confused24.gif Andy
DanT
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Nov 22 2005, 05:28 PM)
so what do i need for TT ???

i got a roll-cage and 5-point harness. anything else?

what's the path to get there?

groundschool -> DE -> TT ????

confused24.gif Andy

Helmet, long pants and shirt, gloves
Fire ext.

Ground school-TT

Sounds like you got it.
J P Stein
Yes, ORPCA. (I knew I shoulda put that in there, damnit)

I know them director guys. I think I'll email them bozos right now biggrin.gif

Maybe they could do half day DE/TT. Practice then actually compete.....wow, dunno if they'd like that.
We are undersubscribed (Porschewise) at DE. It's runwhachabrung. Maybe this would help them get folks out.
Trekkor
I believe they require a nomex driving suit for TT.

DE, not required, but still good.

KT

(don't make me show "the" picture ) laugh.gif
DanT
Actually Trekkor,
Driver's suit is not required until after you have been certified (licensed), usually after your first two events, if they are without incident. This is only for TT.
DE does not require nomex as you said.
biggrin.gif
chilli
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Nov 21 2005, 08:30 PM)
You should be OK Trekkor.
They are looking for major stuff.
As you say all Porsches leak to some extent.

Since when did Harley Davidson start making porsche engines or transmissions.

Mike driving.gif driving.gif
chilli
Another thought, if you plan to "track" your car then take off all four brake splash guards.

mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.