Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DAPO or factory
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
So the throttle cable decides to stick yesterday morning. What the %^$%&$$

So didn't take it to work. Got home last night and started looking. Decided that the cable was the culprit not the CB linkage.
Tried pulling string through as old cable came out. Turns out the cable end won't got through the tube. More *&^^%^** and ended up breaking the end off the cable as I pulled. headbang.gif
There is a plastic liner indie the tube that wouldn't let it pass. White liner is pretty stuck but managed to push some of it up the tube but not far enough to grab from front of tunnel.
About then my fingers were numb and it got real cold out AND dark.

So I am deleting the liner I guess, and applying a good coat of grease to the cable.

IF the liner is supposedto be there How the hell do you get the cable through?
bd1308
did you cut the other end off?

as-is, the cable wont move through the sheath or the liner insert.

but if you cut it and it STILL wont move, time for a new cable.

b
Root_Werks
That liner comes on the cable. it's not part of the car, remove it. When you buy a new cable, it should have that plastic liner on it. If it doesn't, go buy one that does.

What happened is your cable over time started to break the little threads one by one. There is enough of them in there now they have bunched up and jammed in your tube.

Push everything out however you can, get the tube free and clear. Slip in a new cable WITH a plastic cover over the cable part of it and all will be well again.

Seen it a dozen times. Someone will come in with a sticking throttle.....
URY914
Easy fix is to buy a new cable.

Get the "Terry Cable" from Pelican.
Aaron Cox
dont lube your new cable.....
Joe Ricard
Yea, got a new cable. Thanks for the insight Britt. dry.gif
Just a PITA to get plastic out. went out and bought an extra long chopstick. Well actually a wooden dowel rod to push plastic out. New Terry cable don't have plastic.
bd1308
just returning the favor tongue.gif

b
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 22 2005, 08:33 AM)
just returning the favor tongue.gif

b

flipa.gif
That's pretty funny beerchug.gif Cheers!
Root_Werks
Just FYI - if your new cable doesn't have the plastic lining the metal cable will rub against the metal tube EVERY TIME you work the gas pedal which is A LOT. You'll be fishing out another cable mess in another year only this time it might be worse as the cable might have cut it's way into the side of the tube. That is what the plastic protects against.

I had a brand new cable without plastic tube on it and threw it away. They are nothing but trouble. Toss yours and go get the correct part. wink.gif
maf914
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Nov 22 2005, 08:33 AM)
Yea, got a new cable. Thanks for the insight Britt. dry.gif
Just a PITA to get plastic out. went out and bought an extra long chopstick. Well actually a wooden dowel rod to push plastic out. New Terry cable don't have plastic.

After you complete this task, you can stick the chopstick into one of your sparkplug holes. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

What a thread that one was! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Joe Ricard
I'm going to figure sumpin out. car is stuck outside till I get it fixed. So I might get it rigged to drive it up the block and put away.

Yea the great chopstick thread what a hoot. poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.