Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rcarpen22
Hey I need a little help. My car has been leaking oil from the left side just in front of the back wheel. I pulled the rocker panel off and traced the oil up and it looks to be coming from the oil tank, which is mounted in the fender. The tank looks pretty solid so I don't think there are any holes in it. Where are these prone to leaking? I'm just looking for a place to start looking. Also, how do you remove the tank? I see the oil filter screws into it from the engine bay and there are several lines running to it but I can't see how it's mounted. Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm new to the 914/air cooled world. PS, it's a 3.2 from an '89 but I think the oil tank is stock 914.
Thanks
Trekkor
Check the fittings that are coming and going from the tank.

The line that goes to the engine is right in front of the wheel. It's a short line that goes over to the motor.

The other line comes into the tank under the oil filter.

I would first clean up the fittings with brake cleaner and rags.
Run the motor up to temp and watch.

Make sure the oil filter is tight, too.

KT
Trekkor
Removing the tank can be very messy. Lots of oil.

Remove the driver's side wheel.

Lift up and support the rear of the car.

Disconnect the line from the driver's side of the motor and catch the oil into something with a decent capacity.

Remove the other line from under the passenger side of the motor and drain it.

After you are sure the oil is done coming out, remove the oil filter and the oil line from the tank below the filter.
You might want to stuff some rags down in the engine compartment to soak up the oil.

Remove any other hoses from above that vent or make up the filler neck.

The two fasteners on the engine side of the fender well are all that are left.

The tank is a tight squeze to get out or in and you may have to get creative to get it out.

When the tank is out, then you can remove the last oil line.

Have fun dry.gif

KT
ArtechnikA
the O-ring between the filter console and tank is nototious for embrittling due to age and heat.

get 3 new capscrews too - they can get rounded up in the removal process.
Trekkor
Hi, Rich! wavey.gif
jsteele22
Seems to me I recall reading about elderly oil tanks developing pinhole leaks from corrosion. Probably due to the car sitting idle for extended (year +) periods allowing moisture to do its business. Sounds to me (I don't have an oil tank) like the only way is to pull it out and inspect. Also, do a search for oil tank and leak.
rcarpen22
Thanks for the replies. I think I will try to attack the project over Christmas when I have a few days off. If I had to guess I would say it's that gasket between the filter console and the tank. I can see most of the fittings and they don't appear to be leaking. The ones I can't see I tried to feel if they were leaking and they felt dry. It looks like the oil is coming from between the tank and the inner fender so I'm voting for that seal. The filter is tight. Can you get replacement tank if needed? I'm sure they are quite expensive. I assume the 914-6 tank is bigger than the four cyl cars.
Bleyseng
only six cars have the oil tank.....4's don't have a dry sump oil pump system
maf914
QUOTE (trekkor @ Nov 22 2005, 08:42 AM)
Removing the tank can be very messy. Lots of oil.

Remove the driver's side wheel.

Lift up and support the rear of the car.

Warning! You may want to lift and supprt the rear of the car, before removing the driver's side wheel. laugh.gif

Just kidding, Trekkor. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.