Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie introduction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Granite 914
OH no! another one is joining the ranks.

I recently purchased a '75 car. Rusty, non running, and I know I paid to much for it (1K). It has a 1.8L in it, hasn't run or even been licensed since 2002, but.......it was a beauty in my eye, and came with a extra 2.0L engine, complete (rebuildable, as I'm told) and I couldn't pass it up, coming from a co-worker of mine. Its gonna be a long term project of mine. I'm fairly decent at mechanics with lots of tools , but far from being a professional, or a real "gearhead".

You see in my signature, that I have a couple other Porsches. I've been learning as fast as I can, with a TON to learn yet.

I want this car, I'm not afraid of it, the welding, mechanics, or electrical. I'm 50 years old, and been around a little, with a fairly rounded experience level of such things. I've found out that this forum IS the place to be with the 914. So, I thought it might be time to get in here, and get educated! I'm currently trying to source manuals, and other info as I can. I've read the intro regarding the books and info sources, and I am going after the car's AllDATA.com info soon. Any suggestions as far as cost effective manuals, and other info will be GREATLY appreciated. I NEED it!

I am also seen as Granite 944 on Rennlist, and on Pelican. (don't hold that against me..LOL).

I look forward to all the information, and help this forum can offer! And hopefully, someday, I can be of help to others!

THANKS!!.......in advance.
robby750
welcome and get busy!
Flat VW
wavey.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Welcome, there is much to learn here.

Glad to have you along with us.

John
Jeroen
welcome to the asylum happy11.gif

first of all... post some pics of your car!

as for manuals...
Haynes will get you started
ask locals for a copy of the factory manuals on cd-rom
or just post yer questions here biggrin.gif
Allan
You got a bunch of wassercoolers...

wavey.gif Welcome anyway. biggrin.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE (Headrage @ Nov 22 2005, 06:43 PM)
You got a bunch of wassercoolers...

wavey.gif Welcome anyway. biggrin.gif

I knew that would come up quickly, I was trying not to say anything...... ohmy.gif

John w00t.gif
Granite 914
HOLY CRAP.....you guys are FAST! You need a life too....huh! beerchug.gif

Pictures? Yeah, I gotta get those posted. Hopefully on this post, one or two.

Manuals. I've got the Haynes. I really HATE to ask about the CD version from people, BUT!! I'm surely not against anyone offering....ya know!..... biggrin.gif

"wassercoolers"? Waterhead, or Airhead.......pretty much the same........eh? Just loving the cars.....whatever their "problems" are! laugh.gif

Thanks again! I gotta get used to this forum's procedure too! (its harder for us old and crankies, ya know!)
porschecb
I am also a 75 1.8 owner and 55 years old! Welcome!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif
Rocket
last time i check, water cooled and aircooled wernt the same thing..... might just be me though
r_towle
Welcome to the board.

Sell off one of those 944's for the chassis work and suspension that needs to be done...

sell off another 944 and buy an engine kit from jake.

Sell off the last one for the paint job on the 914....

Then you can put it on jack stands and look at it for many years...evenutally you might get to drive it...but maybe not....

Just kidding....you will get to drive it...but I was not kidding about selling the 944's

Rich biggrin.gif
Granite 914
QUOTE (Rocket @ Nov 22 2005, 08:13 PM)
last time i check, water cooled and aircooled wernt the same thing..... might just be me though

Your RIGHT about that, for sure!
messix
hey welcome to the madness.
it's to see another N/W member join in.
i'm pretty new to the teeners too but these guys will help and inform in the most generous ways.
Granite 914
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 22 2005, 08:14 PM)
Welcome to the board.

Sell off one of those 944's for the chassis work and suspension that needs to be done...

sell off another 944 and buy an engine kit from jake.

Sell off the last one for the paint job on the 914....

Then you can put it on jack stands and look at it for many years...evenutally you might get to drive it...but maybe not....

Just kidding....you will get to drive it...but I was not kidding about selling the 944's

Rich biggrin.gif

Your Killing ME! biggrin.gif

Your probably right! I've got to many already. AND, I haven't told you all about the three parts cars (944's), I have.

And, I was looking at a 928, the other day!........ABSOLUTELY CRAZY!.....I know.

Butt.......I AM! drooley.gif

H**l.........I still need to get it up in the air for the FIRST time. The car.......the car. huh.gif

TINCAN914
Welcome home...... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
You wont find a better place for information. These guy's are great!!!!
porsha916
Welcome, biggrin.gif biggrin.gif another N/W Teener!! It doesn't sound like you made to bad of a deal on your 914!!
Take Care
Bill
VaccaRabite
You will do fine here, I think.
Between here and the bird boards (Pelican) you should be able to find anyhting you want answered.

Be brave, and cut away!

Zach
morph
welcome! i was just in granite falls getting some 911 wheels from the guy who owns the car lot .
lots of info here. and good people.
james
SLITS
Welcome to the insane asylum from the SoCal Mountains

Need somethin'....just ask....
smooth_eddy
Hi Granite........from way down here in Seattle, smilie_pokal.gif Hey, we did a club drive right thru your home town back in August I think? Troy (Messix) led it. I think we have about 25 members here in the Pac. NW? You need to get busy, The West Coast Classic is in Portland this next July. Probably the last time it will be in the NW. Most of the members are from Cali. Anyway, post some pics. We would love to see your car. Eddy
grasshopper
QUOTE (Granite 914 @ Nov 22 2005, 07:27 PM)
Your Killing ME! biggrin.gif

Your probably right! I've got to many already.

noo... i've got to many wacko.gif i dont have enough room in the garage for all the cars now.. and we are looking at another 914... rolleyes.gif
grasshopper
oh yea, Welcome aboard!!!! biggrin.gif
Gint
Welcome to the club!
Gint
I almost forgot!!!

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif
brant
Welcome!

brant
Bleyseng
Hey good another local!

You have a 76 1.8L?? Thats the real motor that came with it?? Thats one of 25 76 cars then built with the 1.8L...cool. What the VIN on it??

shocked[1].gif
Oliver
Hi and welcome.......
piratenanner.gif
Here's mine.... confused24.gif
Trekkor
Glad you could make it!

KT
Granite 914
Hope this picture got on here. '75 1.8L biggrin.gif

Granite 914
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Nov 22 2005, 10:36 PM)
Hey good another local!

You have a 76 1.8L?? Thats the real motor that came with it?? Thats one of 25 76 cars then built with the 1.8L...cool. What the VIN on it??

shocked[1].gif

OOOPPS!

I just noticed that I had typed in 1976 1.8L in my sig. Yep! I'm a newbie! I fixed it to read correctly at 1975.

Ya think I should at least know the correct year of the car.

Heres another pic.
jet1
WELCOME!
smooth_eddy
Nice looking car. I don't think $1K was too much. Hope you have the garage space. Hear it rains a lot up there. Eddy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.