Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wiring help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rocket
Hey,

have a 1974 914 1.8l. myself and my father have rebuilt it, and have run into a porblem.
under the passenger seat is the seat belt relay. it has been jumped, hopefully so that the car will start without the seatbelts being plugged in. but there are three ground wires that are unplugged. i think one goes to the light in the back pad. but i have no clue.

please help
Allan
Eeww, auborgine color...

confused24.gif Sorry I can't help but cool color...
grasshopper
im pretty sure there are three wires that go to the back pad light... two or three are brown... i think. Someone else will chime in here... i sat my light on the door sill, and i put my knee on it and broke it headbang.gif so i havn't gotten around to wiring that up yet... wacko.gif
Rocket
i have a duoble brown going up t my back pad light. and then 2 oter grounds just lying there. do i need the m to do somthing, or can i start my car without them ?
grasshopper
QUOTE (Rocket @ Nov 22 2005, 07:44 PM)
do i need the m to do somthing, or can i start my car without them ?

the m??
SLITS
It will start without the M.

The '74 diagram shows three wires

Brown
Brown w/ white trace
Black w/ red trace

Brown and Brown w/ white trace to switch side of the bulb

Black w/ red trace to the other side
Rocket
thanks
r_towle
what are all the other ground wires for?

And what is the smaller realy for...

I understand the larger relay is the seatbelt buzzer...but what is the smaller relay?

Is there a very clean way of eliminating all of this...

I dont like wiring on the floor...it is waiting to short out some day...

Can I just unplug all of it and connect the two large ignition wires???

Rich
SLITS
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 22 2005, 09:01 PM)
what are all the other ground wires for?

And what is the smaller realy for...

I understand the larger relay is the seatbelt buzzer...but what is the smaller relay?

Is there a very clean way of eliminating all of this...

I dont like wiring on the floor...it is waiting to short out some day...

Can I just unplug all of it and connect the two large ignition wires???

Rich

Dats whats I dose...........

pulled the relay, left the relay connector and wired big yellows together
grasshopper
what someone did on my harness is just cut all the wires off, and do the bypass, works fine, i just wrapped it all in electrical tape, and it looks good. confused24.gif
bd1308
is there any way to check N see if I have the relay stuff without taking off my seat rails....can i take the seat off the rails?

b
SLITS
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 23 2005, 12:21 PM)
is there any way to check N see if I have the relay stuff without taking off my seat rails....can i take the seat off the rails?

b

Yeh...what year is your car? alfred.gif

OR

Do you have the "Rare 914 Seat Heater" pigtails coming outta yer bottom cushion?
bd1308
74, and yes i do have the butt sensor in the passenger seat. both seatbelts are disconnected so i suppose that means that the rest of the system is either gone or missing.

b
jim_hoyland
Jeff Bowlsly posted an excellent wiring diagram about a week ago on a related thread
SLITS
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 23 2005, 01:07 PM)
74, and yes i do have the butt sensor in the passenger seat. both seatbelts are disconnected so i suppose that means that the rest of the system is either gone or missing.

b

Well then you answered your own question.....

If you don't get a buzzer or the light on the dash, it is probable it has been disabled. Slide the pass seat all the way forward and feel underneath it from the back. If you feel a good sized square thingy, it is probable the mechanism is still there but bypassed (99.9% of them are). If it wasn't disabled your car wouldn't start.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.