Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Give me your knowladge...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChicagoChris
Hey,

OK. I am doing a swap with the front end of my '72 914. Can I use the existing crossbrace inbetween the 911 a-arms? confused24.gif

Chris
Aaron Cox
yes
ChicagoChris
Thanks Aaron...how many wheels are you selling in the 15 inch size?

Chris
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (ChicagoChris @ Nov 22 2005, 09:29 PM)
Thanks Aaron...how many wheels are you selling in the 15 inch size?

Chris

2 7" and 2 8" fuchs will be available shortly.

a set of 7"s popped up on 911bbs on pelican for 135 shipped. smokin deal
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 22 2005, 09:25 PM)
yes

agree.gif 914 cross member works just fine.
in fact, if your 911 suspension has the aluminum cross-member i highly recommend using the 914 steel one instead ...

cool.gif Andy
Allan
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Nov 22 2005, 08:39 PM)
if your 911 suspension has the aluminum cross-member i highly recommend using the 914 steel one instead ...

cool.gif Andy

How come?
914werke
QUOTE (Headrage @ Nov 23 2005, 06:07 AM)
if your 911 suspension has the aluminum cross-member i highly recommend using the 914 steel one instead ...

cool.gif  Andy

How come?

Urban Myth bs.gif
Leo Imperial
QUOTE (Headrage @ Nov 23 2005, 06:07 AM)

cool.gif  Andy

How come?

I just did mine and kept the original cross member.
From what I understand the aluminum ones can flex more than steel.
I think twisting could occur also.
I also found cracks in the aluminum one and
the weight difference wasn't enough for me to care.
Leo Imperial
I am also a big fan of Urban Myth alien.gif
brant
lets not start a fight right before the holidays...

somebody sell me an aluminum one they aren't going to use.

brant
914werke
No fighting rolleyes.gif lol2.gif
How about imperical evidence?
Under what conditions does the "FLEXING" occur?
10/10th road coarse action with 8" slicks" screwy.gif

I seriously doubt any daily driver will recognize any problem
since porsche engineers saw fit to equip thier flagship model line w/this piece of suspension HW back in the day.
Your probably safe applying it to your 914.
SirAndy
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Nov 23 2005, 09:50 AM)

like me in the car, up on the lift, at HPH, bleeding the brakes, brad asking me to turn the front wheels to the other side (of course wheels were off) and him yelling:

WTF?

you could see the aluminium cross member flex (twist), right then and there, no load on it whatsoever ...

that's why i went back to the steel cross member.
maybe i got a bad one, maybe not. i wasn't going to take any chances.
just a few ounces of weightsavings at a point where weight has the least impact (close to the ground) ...

i'd rather be on the save side on this one.

but hey, i'm sure you got *PLENTY* of "imperical evidence" to prove me and brad wrong!
right?
idea.gif Andy
Rough_Rider
Minor Hijack hijacked.gif

This cross brace is at the back of the A-arms, correct?
Is there any advantages to installing bracing between the front mounting points?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Rough_Rider @ Nov 23 2005, 10:25 AM)

Is there any advantages to installing bracing between the front mounting points?

thats a solid mount on the tub. id see no reason wacko.gif
SirAndy

you've already got bracing between those. open your front trunk and look at the trunk floor. you'll see the bracing right there ...

cool.gif Andy
brant
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 23 2005, 10:26 AM)
Minor Hijack  :hijacked:

Unless the tub is cut away in some manner that might weaken the points...

ie: fuel cell, oil cooler, or what not.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (brant @ Nov 23 2005, 10:31 AM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 23 2005, 10:26 AM)
Minor Hijack  :hijacked:

Unless the tub is cut away in some manner that might weaken the points...

ie: fuel cell, oil cooler, or what not.

good point. usually oelcooler exits are firther back in the trunk no?... not on the raised brace area?
brant
true...

but when we cut out a huge hole for the cell (in both the floor and in the firewall) it was amazing how much the remaining floor flexed....

thus:
Rough_Rider
Yep, like Brant said. PO stuck a fuel cell in there & cut out the floor. Grrrrrr.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Rough_Rider @ Nov 23 2005, 10:37 AM)

uh you posted that, its answered and the you pot again LOL

look above your post for a supplimental brace
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 23 2005, 10:39 AM)
uh you posted that, its answered and the you post again LOL

av-943.gif
brant
Trev,

I'd try to assess how much (if any) flex your getting on the front mounting points. We didn't want to add a brace for weight purposes, but had cut out so much of the firewall (at the back of the cell) that we perceived some actual flex......

It really may not be a functional bar according to many.
but we used a very light material to lessen the impact of adding 1 more bar.

brant
andys
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Nov 23 2005, 09:18 AM)
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Nov 23 2005, 09:50 AM)

like me in the car, up on the lift, at HPH, bleeding the brakes, brad asking me to turn the front wheels to the other side (of course wheels were off) and him yelling:

WTF?

you could see the aluminium cross member flex (twist), right then and there, no load on it whatsoever ...

that's why i went back to the steel cross member.
maybe i got a bad one, maybe not. i wasn't going to take any chances.
just a few ounces of weightsavings at a point where weight has the least impact (close to the ground) ...

i'd rather be on the save side on this one.

but hey, i'm sure you got *PLENTY* of "imperical evidence" to prove me and brad wrong!
right?
idea.gif Andy

So the suspension was at full droop when you witnessed this? Any idea if this still occurs with the wheels on the ground?

Though it seems unlikely to me that the crossmember from a heavier and more powerful car would do this, I bow to experience. That said, perhaps the 914 crossmember is a structural part to the unibody where as the 911 unit is not. Maybe there's more there than meets the eye?

I have both, but am considering the steel version only because it has provision to bolt on the protective pan.

Andys
SirAndy
QUOTE (andys @ Nov 23 2005, 11:44 AM)
Maybe there's more there than meets the eye?

yes, full drop, no wheels attached. turned the steering-wheel until i hit the stop and when i applied some more force to the steering wheel at the stop, the aluminum cross member was (very obvious, visually) twisting ...

now i don't know if it's supposed to do that or if i had a bad one (inspected it later, no cracks, looked good) but it was enough for me to go back to the stock steel crosssmember ...

that's all. just good 'ole observation ...
cool.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
They flex in a 914. You can argue all you want. I have seen people install them in their 914's and not make any brackets for the back bolt holes (support) Not good.

B

Rough_Rider
Cheers Brant,

The PO cut the entire floor pan out, gone nothing left. Then pop rivited a stainless or aluminium sheet which the cell is bolted too.

his next solution was to get a 1/4" thick metal stock & bolted it too what appear to be oem a arm cover plates. Whole thing weighs 7lbs.

I'm stripping the trunk now to fix up all the rust & re-weld, just wanted to see what i'd need to put back smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.