Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much will I spend?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike's2nd914
I know this is a HUGELY open question but I am trying to determine just how much I need to count on spending, how much I want to do myself, and how much I can afford to farm out to others. I changed jobs about a year ago and I have virtually NO time to work on my '74 2.0 myself. I would really like to get it back to something close to stock.

I have some rust issues but nothing dramatic, I need paint, some body work, a new deck lid (or re-use the luggage rack), one new rocker, and maybe a passenger side door plus a windshield. A new set of rubber seals would be nice.

The engine was converted to a single carb and I really want to go back to FI. I have purchased a box full of parts to convert back to FI but really do not want to do the work myself. I have 109K on the motor so a rebuild would be nice but not completely necessary. The heat exchangers look great but the muffler and tail pipe are shot.

The car has the dealer installed AC and the compressor seems to work but something is leaking, won't hold freon for long. I would like to get this back to working.

The interior looks like a time capsule, no problems there. Floor boards are perfect.

Already rebuild the brake calipers and replaced most of the lines so I'm good there. The car has a nice set of tires, no problem there.

What I am wondering is simple: if I sent the car to a "qualified" person, what could I be looking at for body work, fix the AC, and put the FI back on? $5,000.00? $10,000.00? $20,000? Any idea?
Curvie Roadlover
Probably WAY more than to sell it and find one that's already done cool_shades.gif
TimT
$10000+
Lawrence
Everything you have, and everything you ever will have.

That's the cost of owning 914s.

Hope this helps,

Rusty smoke.gif
tod914
Maybe the question is, how far do I want to take it? Big difference in price if your going for just a real nice car or a full concours car. The problem with these old cars is, once you start to fix a problem, where do you stop? You get to the point, well I might go the xtra mile and do it right now thats it's apart. Meanwhile the meter keeps on chink chinging.
Mike's2nd914
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Aug 18 2003, 03:06 PM)
Probably WAY more than to sell it and find one that's already done cool_shades.gif

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. I would prefer one that did not have the dealer hacked air conditioning. I have been kinda watching ebay lately just to see what pops up.
vortrex
do yourself a favor and buy the yellow '75 in the classifieds for $10k and be done with it!
Curvie Roadlover
My first 914, that I bought before I had any clue about these cars, was very sound, mechanically. And the interior was perfect. It's just that the body had a severe case of cancer. A friend advised me to buy a nice rust free (as possible) roller and transfer the interior and motor to it. I gave this some thought, but I ended up selling the car and bought a VERY nice car with minimal issues (they all have SOME issues) for far less than I would have had to spend to buy a rust free roller. Plus it didn't require switching over any parts, plus I didn't have to dispose of the rusted shell, plus it was fun to drive the day I bought it.
Going this route is driving.gif Fixing up a basket case is headbang.gif not to mention $$$$
Mike's2nd914
Anyone know anything about the silver '75 2.0 listed in the classified? The guy listing is in MA but the car is in FL. Looks interesting.
Silver '75
campbellcj
My current hypothesis is that all old Porsches cost (at least) $35K, if you keep them long enough. And don't include much of your own time. If you do, then it can easily be $100K on up, LOL blink.gif

The one realization that struck me with the most surprise in the last couple of years is how much the "little stuff" can sneak up on you. You know, misc. hardware, hoses, wires, bushings, gaskets, chemicals, paint, speciality tools, etc. An order of small "BS" parts and materials for a project can easily rack up a couple hundred bucks before you know it...
vortrex
QUOTE(Mike's2nd914 @ Aug 18 2003, 05:48 PM)
]Anyone know anything about the silver '75 2.0 listed in the classified? The guy listing is in MA but the car is in FL. Looks interesting.[URL=http://www.914world.com/classifieds/detail.php?cat=20&de=985&PHPSESSID=cf02ec46470d9b2f64be1c348a7f5766]Silver '75[/URL

I would be worried about any 914 where the owner makes it a point to note it as a convertible.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(vortrex @ Aug 18 2003, 05:51 PM)
I would be worried about any 914 where the owner makes it a point to note it as a convertible.

Good point. That means he's targeting the non-enthusiast, ie. the unwary.
Mike's2nd914
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Aug 18 2003, 06:03 PM)

Maybe, maybe not. I checked it out. When you enter an ad on that site, it gives you only certain options for body type which it automatically enters into your ad. "Convertible" is an option. "Targa" is not.
vortrex
well, yeah, but I guess the point is if the owner thinks of that as some sort of "option" or "extra feature" it could spell trouble. of course, it could be a little old ladies car that is mint...

look at ebay ads a while, you will start to clue in on the little things.
kdfoust
It sounds like you want to do a restoration (I mean returning the car as delivered from Porsche). Two words: I wouldn't. Makes no economic sense whatsoever. Go buy a car that is in the condition that you want. You'll save an enormous amount of time, although you'll miss out on the close "relationship" you'll develop with the local p-car clinic owners as you hemorage money.

I bet you can re-do the djet for $2000. The AC? Big question but I'd budget another $2000. Body work and paint fugetaboutit: how much do you want to spend? Let's say you go cheap and get the body work for $3000. You're in $7000 plus the car. We haven't talked about the original suspension stuff that's gonna haf to go and the brake repairs...

Just go find an exceptional condition teener out here (leftcoast) and spend the $7000 plus whatever you can get for your car on it.

You'll be cruising the gulf coast by October if you go for it now. cool.gif

Have fun,
Kevin
Brad Roberts
I have to agree with Kevin.

I tell everybody to start out with nicest car they can afford.

I could offer "new" 914's.. but they would cost 35k (4cyl)

B
Lawrence
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Aug 18 2003, 09:03 PM)

I dunno. Might be that the seller isn't an enthusiast.

I owned my first 914 for 1 year and a half... and I knew next to nothing about it.
nomore4
Problem is you live in NJ sad.gif . Be cautious buying in the NE. I have a friend of a friend's who has his father's car with reciepts of all work done since new. This car had a restoration done awhile ago but was'nt used much since then and looked mint. Nice paint, tastefull pinstripes, spotless tan interior and a bill for 10,000 from a shop that's still around. After drooling over the interior tight door gaps were noticed. I get under this thing and all I could do was laugh. I still feel bad about my reaction. The guy did'nt seen to have any sentimental value but had optimistic views of it's worth. Be carefull and learn where to look for the ugly stuff. They're around, ya gotta be patient or out west.

joe b

don't know how i confusued AL with NJ?? ohmy.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Mike's2nd914 @ Aug 18 2003, 02:47 PM)

I have some rust issues but nothing dramatic, I need paint, some body work, a new deck lid (or re-use the luggage rack), one new rocker, and maybe a passenger side door plus a windshield. A new set of rubber seals would be nice.

The engine was converted to a single carb and I really want to go back to FI. I have purchased a box full of parts to convert back to FI but really do not want to do the work myself. I have 109K on the motor so a rebuild would be nice but not completely necessary. The heat exchangers look great but the muffler and tail pipe are shot.

The car has the dealer installed AC and the compressor seems to work but something is leaking, won't hold freon for long. I would like to get this back to working.

The interior looks like a time capsule, no problems there. Floor boards are perfect.

Already rebuild the brake calipers and replaced most of the lines so I'm good there. The car has a nice set of tires, no problem there.

What I am wondering is simple: if I sent the car to a "qualified" person, what could I be looking at for body work, fix the AC, and put the FI back on? $5,000.00? $10,000.00? $20,000? Any idea?

Some rust, hmm, for battery tray and hell hole repairs with new parts-$750
Good used door- $150
Rear lid-$100
Strip car to be ready for paint-$500
After paint, re-install everything striped-$500
New Windshield--$250
New Rubber seals-$750
Paint can cost $500 at Macco to $5000. RustyWa had a beautiful job done for $3000
Djet re-install, if you have a good MPS for a 74, seals and stuff will cost- $250
IF you need a MPS that alone new is $750, used it can be found for $150
Muffler- go with a Bursch for $200
Restore the AC, probably needs a new compressor and a recharge- $1200

My estimate comes out to $7665 to restore the car to nice
If you go with cheapie paint $5165

Look around for a done nice car.

Geoff
tryan
there is a new 73 listed in the classifieds. 5 k plus the balance to dave. i really think you need just one more car. wink.gif . like lays potato chips, you can't have just one. you have to eat the hole bag.

edit..... your new screen name..... mike's 3rd 914.
Mike's2nd914
QUOTE(tryan @ Aug 19 2003, 08:56 AM)
edit..... your new screen name.....   mike's 3rd 914.

Hey, been in Atlanta all day, just got back to my computer. I really have to agree with what everyone is saying. The pic in my avatar is of my first 914, a '75 1.8L. The pic was taken in 1987. My current car was purchased by my wife for me as a suprise present. Unfortunately, it is a present that I do not have time for. I am seriously considering putting it up for sale and finding another car.

Thanks for everyone's input.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.