Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody in/near Yonkers, NY ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsteele22

If somebody in the club lives near Yonkers, NY, or even just passes through on I-87, I could use a big, big favor. No horse heads, I just want to find out what is at the following address :

44 The Crossway
Yonkers, NY 10701

It's a few blocks from the Tuckahoe Rd exit off I-87 (New York State Thruway ?). Try www.mapquest.com for details. I just want to know what's there : a business, a mailbox store, etc.

The Gory Details :

I've been planning a Suby swap on my 914. On Oct 5, I bought a Subaru 2.5L engine on Ebay for $500 + $300 freight. Paid half through PayPal, half by check sent to address above. Seller had very good feedback, long sales record. Mostly smaller items, but an occasional tranny or body panel. Talked on phone & she was friendly, sounded very legit. Said mechanic had to pull the engine; it was her daughter's Forester and was wrecked, airbags deployed. I see she's sold a door and an owner's manual from the same vehicle.

I wasn't in a rush. We traded a few emails about where to ship the engine, etc. Then some time passed. I sent a brief inquiry, she said the roof on her workshop collapsed with all the rain they've been having. A couple of weeks, another feeler, no reply. Another feeler, no reply. I opened a dispute on Ebay, she responds (via their dispute page) that truck picked it up that day (Monday, Nov 21) and would send me tracking info on Tuesday (yesterday). That info hasn't come.

I've been on the fence as to whether this is a deliberate scam, or she's just seriously dysfunctional; several of her recent feedbacks mentioned her being very slow on shipping. Then I looked at her sales history. Around Nov 8, all of her listings suddenly included a statement that she no longer accepts PayPal. And although she had a pretty regular stream of items for sale, the last one currently listed ("show completed items") closed this last Monday, the same day I instigated the dispute resolution process. Coincidence ? Easing up for the Holidays ? Anyway, other items she sold are being received by people, and she's getting good feedback as recently as yesterday.

I tried a search on her name (I don't want to post it here, 'cause she may very well be completely innocent, albeit sloooow) and nothing turned up on switchboard.com, etc. So, apart from waiting for a truck to just show up unanounced, I don't know what to do. I'm feeling very anxious, and any info at all would be a big help.

So,....., if you lice near Yonkers, I'd love to know where my money went. Tell me its a two-bit auto salvage yard with a wrecked Forester and you'll make my day.

Thx,
Jeff

Gint
On my last trip to the city, I couldn't convince my old man to make the trip down from Albany to meet us. So I doubt if I can persuade him to go down there now either. But he is a retired cop, so this kinda thing might entice somewhat. I'll shoot him an email.
GWN7
Did a Google map search....from the statelite photo it looks like a residential neibourhood.

Couldn't tell if there was a Forester in the yard or not tho. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.