Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's that time or year
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
It's become some kinda tradition around here.....these things just happen, me thinks..... If it's Thanksgiving weeked, it's time
to jack up the shitbox and start my 5th annual Winter Project (it may be 4th or 6th...I've lost track) confused24.gif

Anyone in the area is welcome to come over and turn some wrenches or finish off the beer in my fridge and watch me turn em'. 4 days of dicking around interupted by only by pigging out on turkey....and maybe a nap or 2 biggrin.gif
Trekkor
Where'd the year go, JP? confused24.gif

Give me about three more weeks, and I'll join you.

I get paint this winter. clap.gif

KT
J P Stein
"Where'd the year go, JP?" confused24.gif

Dunno, but I've been asking myself that question for 40 years...it didn't bother me for the first 20.

"Give me about three more weeks, and I'll join you."

Got any good stuff planned?

"I get paint this winter." clap.gif

Hummm....lesee...I would suggest idea.gif......YELLOW biggrin.gif
qa1142
HA
Only my 2nd winter (with a 914 to project on)

today I cleaned case and picked up the engine tin from my painter. 1 more package from Jake is due Friday and I can start building smilie_pokal.gif

2.0L Euro pistons, rebuilt everything, new cam, new bearings.

I hope to be running early in 2006 and ready for sunny days come GULP.... April laugh.gif

Jeroen
what's the plan JP?
J P Stein
Mostly, spend some money biggrin.gif
Didja ever notice how easy that is to do?

I have some raised spindle struts that have been waiting to go on.
The trans is gonna get 2 new gears & a Torque Biasing differential.

I may hold off on going after my scrub radius problem as that is "just" a matter of wheels & tires up front. I've never liked the way my car has reacted to same size wheels & tires at both ends, but I may wait to see how it reacts to the TB diff.

I'm also looking at softer front T-bars & more roll stiffness there.

Then......maybe a rear AR bar...depending on what happens
up front.....which would require (I think) softer rear springs.

Does this sound like I'm thrashing around in the dark? It should. biggrin.gif I have no recipe to follow. No one around here runs a 914 as edgy as mine so good information is hard to find. No one on the club volunteers much BTDT either.

I sucked on Greg Fordahl's brain for about 10-15 minutes......coulda used another hour or more. He's on a different level and it's hard to keep up biggrin.gif He did warn me off some tires I was going for....that saved some pain.
As a side note, he mentioned they have gone to EFI on their 2.8L 914 AX car and gained 30ft/lbs of torque across the dyno chart & 10 hp. The SCCA leagalized twin plug heads for the class just after they got it all buttoned up & tuned....ouch.

If I get bored, I can color sand & polish some paint. wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
im with you JP.....

car is in paint right now.
aim to be assembled and DONE by january......

rear coilovers goin in..... GT rally lights... oil cooler shrouding......rear defogger window.........carpet...... 904 gauge.... my haid hurts.....

AA
Jeroen
LSD... nice!

Try adding just the rear bar before you make any further suspension mods (after you installed the LSD)

What t-bars are you running now (and what are you planning to get)

J P Stein
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Nov 24 2005, 09:07 AM)
LSD... nice!

Try adding just the rear bar before you make any further suspension mods (after you installed the LSD)

What t-bars are you running now (and what are you planning to get)

At the moment I am running 21 mm T bars. Getting is prolly
the wrong term as (near as I can tell) the only thing smaller available is the stock 17.9mm T-bar. *If* I decide to do do this, I'll get my present bars turned (or ground) down to 19.5-20mm. I know I could go the 911 A arms to get more chioces, but I have too much work into my present ones to round file them.

My thinking:
I am still fighting understeer. Unless I interceede, the car pushes on corners with about 60ft radius and less .....which is about max radius for our venues locally. Of course, it goes into snap oversteer on large radius turns.....but I catch most those biggrin.gif

I get no heat in the front tires. I have tried the car on a 60 ft radius skid pad & and after 2-4 laps, the fronts get hot and the whole car reacts differently....suddenly, I have enuff grip to bounce my haid off the cage (that hurts, BTW) biggrin.gif.

Conventional wisdom says soften the front for more front grip and soften the springs for rough tarmac....of which we have acres. My AR bar has been set at full soft for a couple years now, so no help there. Softer springs will allow the AR bar to *actually be adjustable*.....what a concept.

I'm also thinking of smaller width front tires & wheels.
My plan of softer front tires went out the window in my conversation with Mr. Fordahl. My car is too heavy to use Formula Atlantic skins. biggrin.gif

The car will get tryout with the LSD before I commit to a rear bar.

Anyone with better (or any) ideas is welcome here.
Aaron Cox
your a mess JP..

go back to narrow body, and 140 lbs prings with a 19mm bar smile.gif tongue.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 24 2005, 10:12 AM)
your a mess JP..

go back to narrow body, and 140 lbs prings with a 19mm bar smile.gif tongue.gif

Thanks for reafirming that.

For those that say "I was only 2 sec behind.... (fill in the blank)"

I'm here to tell ya, those last 2 sec are mighty effin' hard to come by. Then ya gotta take care of the tenths. Then you need
mistake/bad day room.....and (fill in the blank) isn't sitting still either.

Believe it or not, I'm having fun. I ain't complaining, just trying to move forward without taking too many missteps along the line.
pete-stevers
The problem is..... every sunny day that you don't get some seat time
We have salt all over the roads already...so there is absolutely no sense driving a teener around
I have feeling i should be on the road in febuary sometime....
Damn good thing there is heat in the shop!! it keeps the jackstands warm....and me too biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Pete:
You must be way up in North in BC to have had snow already...or East?

Last year I finished my project late....April, AIR, and missed a couple and then got rained out of 2-3 AXs. That put me so far behind the power curve that I never caught up to the car till the season was about over.

I have a plan this year. To get some butt time, I'll do some DE....putt down the straights and make some room, then work over the twistys. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.