Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tuning my Raby 2270 with carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Flat VW
Hi everyone, wavey.gif

I am replacing my points and condenser and will need to set my timing, anyone know the proper setting? confused24.gif

John
rick 918-S
Better ask Jake
Mark Henry
I'd ask Jake, but 7.5 BTDC is a safe bet.
Flat VW
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Nov 23 2005, 05:39 PM)
Better ask Jake

Yes, Rick, I was wondering if another owner of a similar engine of Jake's might have had the answer.

I changed the points and it is running tip-top now.

It is funny how drivabilty can diminish slowly and then reach "critical mass" suddenly.

No timing adjustment for now, but what a difference in starting. clap.gif

Test drive to commence in mere moments... MDB2.gif

John boldblue.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Nov 23 2005, 07:01 PM)
I'd ask Jake, but 7.5 BTDC is a safe bet.

Noted Mark, thanks for your reply.

John wavey.gif
hmeeder
Most of our carb'ed engines are set at 34-35 degrees btdc

Check this:

Pelican Parts Carb Timing Article
Mark Henry
QUOTE (hmeeder @ Nov 23 2005, 11:27 PM)
Most of our carb'ed engines are set at 34-35 degrees btdc

Check this:

Pelican Parts Carb Timing Article

7.5 static BTDC + 24 degrees advance = 31.5 degrees total advance.

That's about what you'd get with a mallory. wink.gif

34- 35 is around what you'll get with a 009 or 050
Flat VW
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Nov 23 2005, 07:05 PM)

I changed the points and it is running tip-top now.

It is funny how drivabilty can diminish slowly and then reach "critical mass" suddenly.

No timing adjustment for now, but what a difference in starting. clap.gif

Test drive to commence in mere moments... MDB2.gif

John boldblue.gif

Holy Shnikes, what a difference.

That was just the hottest ride I've had in this car since owning it. aktion035.gif

This thing is Rippin, now!

How often do others change points?

Do you change your condenser each time?

Is there a test for the condenser other than just examining the "spark traits"?

If you were in a bind with no feeler guage what common thing would you use to gap your points?

John piratenanner.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif MDB2.gif
TravisNeff
I think the adjustment/change interval is around 6k miles? I always seem to futz with them a helluva lot sooner than that. I went to an electronic replacement and life is much better with 1 less thing you have to tinker with.

Points should be replaced when worn, condenser you can keep in there for a long, long time. Be sure to use a bosch unit - the junky ones at your local flaps are known to die after a little bit of time.
eds72
Hi. On 009's i've been using either Compufires or Petronix units lately. Once you set your timing, you're pretty much set for a long time, although it's always a good idea to check it periodically.

v82go

John

The answer to your last question is : in a jam I would use a matchbook, it is close enough (IN THICKNESS) to get you home to your feeler gauges.
Mark Henry
What dizzy are you running?

Too much advance is not good for the engine.

How did you set it? Static or with a timing light?
Flat VW
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Nov 24 2005, 05:17 AM)
What dizzy are you running?

Too much advance is not good for the engine.

I really do not know that.

I would like to though, is there a way to identify the dizzy model while it is still installed it the car?

THX Mark, no timing change just points and condenser change for now, till I can confer with Jake on Friday, from piloting last night though my butt says it is on the nut now or quite close to it.

John wavey.gif

P.S. I am going to put a timing light on it today in order to see where it is set now, strictly for reference and drill.

Happy Thanksgiblets to you and ALL burnout.gif

Mark Henry
Just changing the points can change your timing.

A mallory will have a big red cap.

It's hard to see tha numbers on a Bosch dizzy without taking it out. If you undo the 13mm (wrench size) nut you can pull it up and out, get the number and stick it back in. Rotate the rotor till it seats right down and put the nut back on. That shouldn't change your timing.

It will have a set of 9 numbers in 3's, it sometimes has a letter on the end. Don't worry about any other numbers.

XXX XXX 009

XXX XXX 050

XXX XXX 205A

(I can't think of the first numbers off the top of my head so I've used the "X" for the ones I don't know.)
Jake Raby
NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!

Every engine I build is different- Almost all them have different optimum settings that I determined during their Dyno sessions!!!

This is why I create spec books for them and include them with the engine, these specs are all you need to do anything maintenance wise to the engine. If you received that manual with the car, its all there.. If not I'll have to email them to you tomorrow as I am away from the shop and do not have them handy today.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY OF THE ABOVE RECOMMENDATIONS!!

There are no default settings for my engines and this is VERY important to set correctly. If not your MPG head temps and power will all suffer.

If it wasn't Thanksgiving I could help you in 5 minutes..
Brando
givemebeer.gif

er... i mean...

agree.gif

Listen to the man who made your engine.
Aaron Cox
and why arent you running a pointless setup or a mallory ?
Flat VW
The same reason I'm not running (or had recently purchased) a six.

There is something most gratifying about running the "old school stuff" and "waxing the tails" of newest, latest, computer-driven cars in my "just a 4" (cool vanity plate idea.gif ).

Running, an engine essentially designed in what, the late thirties? boldblue.gif

I encountered a Mazada RX-8 entering the freeway last night and gave it a taste. We were both pedaling pretty hard, I having just shifted to fifth when a Mercedes newest latest two seater went by us like we were going backward, so its all relative. wink.gif

I know my place in the "car universe" and I like it. w00t.gif

I also had a run against a brand new BMW 325 (entering the freeway also just last night), they are pokey. icon_bump.gif

At this time if I made any changes it would be for "emissions reasons", and I would make the jump to programmable electronic fuel injection.

It seems to be common knowledge around here that there is maybe as much as 10% more power to be had with the change.

John
Flat VW
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Nov 24 2005, 08:47 AM)
NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!

Every engine I build is different- Almost all them have different optimum settings that I determined during their Dyno sessions!!!

This is why I create spec books for them and include them with the engine, these specs are all you need to do anything maintenance wise to the engine. If you received that manual with the car, its all there.. If not I'll have to email them to you tomorrow as I am away from the shop and do not have them handy today.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY OF THE ABOVE RECOMMENDATIONS!!

There are no default settings for my engines and this is VERY important to set correctly. If not your MPG head temps and power will all suffer.

If it wasn't Thanksgiving I could help you in 5 minutes..

SIR, YES, SIR (standing most rigidly, cover slightly over my eyes.....)

Sir, I examined the points and found them quite pitted Sir, and took the initiative to change them, SIR.

John w00t.gif

P.S. Poor guy, I sent a message about this as he was walking out for the holiday yesterday......... wacko.gif

P.P.S. In regard to the points, have I sinned? huh.gif
bd1308
no freaking way...i feel EXACTLY the same way you do.

I get chills sometimes when i drive my car, knowing that i'm driving an old-world car.

I love it!

Jake's doing wonders for the aircooled world.

b
Flat VW
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Nov 24 2005, 05:17 AM)

What does it mean, to set timing using a "static" method?

John
J P Stein
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Nov 24 2005, 12:51 PM)

Running, an engine essentially designed in what, the late thirties? boldblue.gif

The 6 was designed before the T-4. Get another excuse biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Nov 24 2005, 06:28 PM)

JP...did you know you have a set of beetle bearings somewhere in your /6 biggrin.gif

Flat VW
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Nov 24 2005, 02:28 PM)

That would just be "pointless". av-943.gif

I was commenting to "modern six conversions" with all the computer stuff.

Mr. Perrine's six with the MFI, VERY COOL, six little Webers very cool. All the badass hot six computer conversions, very cool too, just different.

For me, like comparing apples to corn chips, both are food, but two different things.

It loses that "vintage thing" for me with the electronics. cool_shades.gif

I use portable XM radio in the car but would never install it in the car except if it were hidden and installed very discretely, and most likely not even then, just my trip.

You say Potato, I say Potatoe......

John

P.S. The first time I get stuck in the "middle of nowhere", where I often am, with fried points I will probably feel differently.

Ain't happened yet though, (Mcguyver (sp) complex) smash.gif screwy.gif

John
r_towle
get a set of points, condensorand rotor cap and put them in your glove box.....

Its less than 20 bucks...it will get you home.

Once you have confirmed the settings with Jake...keep the book with your car.

Get an accel cable and take that in the car too...

Rich
bd1308
clutch cable?

both of those cables are close to 100 bucks on thier own w00t.gif

b
Jake Raby
OK..
I ran back to the shop and grabbed the folder for the engine...

Dwell angle= 48 degrees
Initial advance @ 1,000 RPM= 8 degrees
Full advance at 3,200 RPM = 29 degrees BTDC

Don't worry with the initial advance..

Rev the engine to 3500 RPM after verifying the dwell is within 2 degrees +/- of my spec and ensure that you have the 29 degrees full advance. Full advance is what matters most.

The Mallory is an excellent addition to the engine, if you are worried about being stranded keep your entire current dizzy in the trunk- it will drop install in 10 minutes-

I have used hundreds of mallory's and had one go bad. It was bad out of the box.... I have one on every car I own, except the Pinzgauer and I'm trying to adapt one to it as we speak!

If you have further tuning questions- don't ask ANYONE but me, hey don't know that engine, nor do they have it's specs- you have my cell number.

When I work my tricks the stock tuning goes out the window..
Flat VW
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Nov 24 2005, 05:32 PM)
OK..
I ran back to the shop and grabbed the folder for the engine...

Dwell angle= 48 degrees
Initial advance @ 1,000 RPM= 8 degrees
Full advance at 3,200 RPM = 29 degrees BTDC

Don't worry with the initial advance..

Rev the engine to 3500 RPM after verifying the dwell is within 2 degrees +/- of my spec and ensure that you have the 29 degrees full advance. Full advance is what matters most.

The Mallory is an excellent addition to the engine, if you are worried about being stranded keep your entire current dizzy in the trunk- it will drop install in 10 minutes-

I have used hundreds of mallory's and had one go bad. It was bad out of the box.... I have one on every car I own, except the Pinzgauer and I'm trying to adapt one to it as we speak!

If you have further tuning questions- don't ask ANYONE but me, hey don't know that engine, nor do they have it's specs- you have my cell number.

When I work my tricks the stock tuning goes out the window..

What a guy!

THX, Mr. Raby,

John

P.S. What me worry? laugh.gif

Not Hardly......
BGman
Jake-
Once you set these up on the dyno- what is your experience with this unit needing adjustment? Once a year for grins?

The engine I bought from you a couple years ago is still running great. I have only rebalanced the carbs a couple times....but now that I think about it...have never thought to verify timing.

-greg
bd1308
*cough* take me for a ride in it *cough*

are you a basketball guy too, or just football.....?

b
Flat VW
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 24 2005, 01:02 PM)
I get chills sometimes when I drive my car, I love it!

Ah, Britt, I think your chills are probably coming from shot window seals.... piratenanner.gif rocking nana.gif screwy.gif

I would have gladly given you a ride at the FFC event.

Heck, I might even have let you driven it, although the one time Shaggy has driven it he darn near spun it with me in the passenger seat.

Too much ratio of throttle to steering input in a turn. yikes.gif

John lol2.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Nov 25 2005, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 24 2005, 01:02 PM)
I get chills sometimes when I drive my car, I love it!

Ah, Britt, I think your chills are probably coming from shot window seals.... piratenanner.gif rocking nana.gif screwy.gif

I would have gladly given you a ride at the FFC event.

Heck, I might even have let you driven it, although the one time Shaggy has driven it he darn near spun it with me in the passenger seat.

Too much ratio of throttle to steering input in a turn. yikes.gif

John lol2.gif

i end up driving real easy if its somebody else's car....like speed limit easy.

b
Jake Raby
The Mallory generally doesn't need to be adjusted.. Their are no wear parts..

The one in my bus has been installed for almost 4 years and the last time I put a timing light on it, it was exactly where it was on the dyno.. Same thing with the 912E, after 90K I have only swapped the dizzy cap and rotor. That dizzy has been on that engine since it was born, except for about 11K miles when I was testing the kit carlson system with its direct fire ignition..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.