Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 arrived today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mickeyb
I am new to the 914 Club and wanted to introduce myself and the car (1972 1.7) that was delivered to me today from Lake Forest California. I used VIP Transport and it took about 12 days. It seems to be a good company.
I have been lurking here for a couple weeks trying to pickup as much information as I could about these cars. This is my first 914. I paid $3200.00 plus shipping. I wish I had found this great web site before I purchased the car. You guys seem to really know your stuff and are very supportive of others.
I have included some pictures to find out what you think. I didn’t ask the PO to send pictures of the inner rocker panels, so I will need to remove those to get some shots. Hopefully I will be able to do that soon. I had an auto accident (guy ran a stop sigh) in my 63 bug on Sept. 23rd and I have just about fully recovered. Hopefully I will be going back to work next week after seeing the doctor on Monday.
Anyway, back to the car… I will list some things that the PO said needed attention.
Fuel injection system.
Idles too fast.
Brake adjustment.
Clutch adjustment.
Shifter adjustment
Horn, turn signals and gas gauge are intermittent.
New front hood seal.
Chrome window trim loose.
Targa top seals.

Some things that he did recently.
New door seal and window squeegee both sides.
Shifter bushings.
New brake pads front and rear.
New washer nozzles from Porsche and Bosch wiper blades.
New carpet professionally done.
Fixed interior courtesy light and instrument illumination.
A set of new injectors.

I drove the car around the block before putting it in the garage. I didn’t want to drive too far with some of the drugs I have been taking. No problem starting the car, but it does not idle smooth and idles at about 2100 rpm. It does not have the AAR installed, so I plugged the line and the idle went down to about 800 rpm. (I learned that from you guys. I did a lot of searches on D-Jet before the car arrived). It still idled rough.
Both trunks look good with no rust. The front hood seal channels are solid with no rust. The battery tray looks like it was replaced at some time. The hell hole looks very good from what I can see. I don’t see any rust on either side and no signs of patches. No rust in the floor pans looking from the bottom. No rust at the bottom of the firewall. So from what I can tell with just a quick look, California cars live up to their reputation!
I should be able to start working on the car by next weekend. I think I should start with a valve adjustment. Then the fuel injection. I ordered some D-jet stuff off Ebay last week that came in yesterday. (Intake manifold, mps, throttle position sensor, starting valve, aux air valve, four injectors and temperture sensor). Now if I can just figure out how the system should look and what is missing.
Thanks for listening. I am sure I will need lots of help.
Happy Thanksgiving! chowtime.gif
Mickeyb
Arriving!
Mickeyb
More!
Mickeyb
Sorry...914 club
Mickeyb
Hope I'm not posting too many...
MecGen
Hey Welcome smilie_pokal.gif

Car looks sweeeet ! ar15.gif
Wait till you fall in love with it and you start throin gobs of money at it... wub.gif

There is always the club to the rescue

Later
+Karma

beerchug.gif
Grimstead
QUOTE (Mickeyb @ Nov 23 2005, 05:21 PM)
Hope I'm not posting too many...

Welcome to the board, looks like a nice car.
And you can never post too many pictures of a 914 here, keep them coming!
Lou W
Welcome, great looking car. smilie_pokal.gif
Mickeyb
another
MecGen
LOL
[/QUOTE]I didn’t want to drive too far with some of the drugs I have been taking.[QUOTE]

Happens to me all the time smoke.gif

Just kiddin....
Mickeyb
another
Mickeyb
drivers side engine bay
Mickeyb
passenger side
LongARM
nice looking car, and great find.
welcome

smilie_pokal.gif
rick 918-S
wavey.gif assimilate.gif
scotty b
I think maybe you had better bring that Split window over to my shop and let me take it off your hands unsure.gif You can't have that piece of junk siting around all those Porsches, it makes then look bad rolleyes.gif Nice teener smilie_pokal.gif
Mickeyb
Lots to do here!
Mickeyb
more
Mickeyb
firewall
Mickeyb
whoops!
Mickeyb
more firewall
Mickeyb
This looks bad...
Mickeyb
trunks look good
Mickeyb
more
Mickeyb
Not sure what this is...
Mickeyb
Ok, I guess I have posted my quota...
Verruckt
Looks like a very solid car, congrats! smilie_pokal.gif

Just to make you feel better, I have never seen a teener that didn't need at least "a little" work. wink.gif
Series9
Looks like it could be a legit Euro version: VW horn crest and no side markers.
Mickeyb
Thanks for all of the positive comments! I really have a lot to learn about these cars. Joe, I thought maybe the side markers were shaved. What else should I look for to find out if it is a Euro version?
Mickeyb
Scotty, the split hasn't been restored. I am still collecting parts for the 25hp engine. They are getting hard to find.
grasshopper
QUOTE (914RS @ Nov 23 2005, 06:11 PM)
Looks like it could be a legit Euro version: VW horn crest and no side markers.

looks like it has MPH speedo on it though.... that could have been changed though confused24.gif
ClayPerrine
Welcome to our mutual obsession!!! Glad you are here.

As for if it's a true euro model, check the front turn signal buckets. If they are factory split lights, then it was probably a euro model.

BTW... it's a great looking car!!
Bleyseng
Looks like it got hit in the rear so they installed the 916 rear bumper?

nice find

Tons of work to do on the engine! wacko.gif
Mickeyb
Geoff, I don't see any damage in the trunk. I will take a close look under the bumper to see if I can find any sign of repairs.
The engine is a mess. There are wires, and hoses just hanging. I wish I had a detailed picture of a 1.7. The Haynes manual has a pretty good diagram.

seanery
congrats Mickey! It looks to be a good starting point.
Welcome to the club! Are ya married? If so, warn the wife, these things are addictive like crack! laugh.gif
r_towle
QUOTE (Mickeyb @ Nov 23 2005, 10:40 PM)
Geoff, I don't see any damage in the trunk. I will take a close look under the bumper to see if I can find any sign of repairs.
The engine is a mess. There are wires, and hoses just hanging. I wish I had a detailed picture of a 1.7. The Haynes manual has a pretty good diagram.

PM me your email...

I will take some pics fri if you want...

I ahve the stock FI installed...its not perfect..but it shows where everything is plugged in...

Rich
Gint
Welcome to the club. That's a fine looking 914. Looks like a decent buy.
Rick_Eberle
The car looks great! smilie_pokal.gif

It looks like the accelerator cable is fraying. Make sure that when you replace it, you buy another to keep in the trunk as a spare. Clutch cable too. they fit nicely in the spare wheel.
mudfoot76
Beautiful car, welcome to the club smilie_pokal.gif

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
sean_v8_914
here's the link for teh "Ultimate D-Jet resource"
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/
sean_v8_914
hose diagram

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...4_17FI_diag.htm
sean_v8_914
be careful with buying 914 stuff on EBAY untill you learn proper market values for teh patrs you seek. I have seen things on EBAY go for a very high price
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.