Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter project.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
Well here is a new winter project, not really just a few personal things to do to get it ready for the track.
Traded the black 944 for this, a 2004 Birel, ex factory team shifter kart TAG converted, 6 hours on the frame and zero hours on the new 125cc motor.
boxstr
backside
rick 918-S
it has a middle motor aktion035.gif
dlo914
is that the gas tank located in front of the family jewels? wacko.gif
Flat VW
What would that be like on an ice rink? idea.gif

John
J P Stein
Got a buddy at work that races them things (old fart, too, but skinny). He says that after 20 minutes of driving, those things will make you feel like your ribs are broke.

Sell it to some young guy. laugh.gif
spare time toys
A friend at work races 125 shifter carts. He had it out at work one day when things were slow. We would blast up and down the ramp driving.gif and into the hanger spin a donut or two then shoot back out and down the ramp. aktion035.gif All was good untill the airport cops showed up and told us to nock it off or they would sieze Denniss' cart sad.gif They also said they would contact the GO about it. A memo came out about personal vehicals on the ramp and in the hanger about a week later. happy11.gif
boxstr
The fuel tank is located between your legs, but I hope I never have to find out about its crash resistance.
As far as ribs, you wear a rib protector or rib vest and with a Ribtech seat you are held in tight enough to help minimize the soreness that your ribs feel after a long session.
This will be fun to bring to the autocrosss next year.
CCLINBIRELME
drgchapman
Looks great Craig!
Can't wait to see it.
Pat's acres?

Gary
MattR
Any rust? biggrin.gif

Looks good. Are there any cart tracks up in that neck of the woods?
Eric Taylor
Ya know craig, if your looking for a young body to drive it aroud for you, I MIGHT be able to help you out biggrin.gif . Looks like a blast, bring it to the wcc to blast around in, that would keep people on notice, lol.
Eric
maf914
Craig, Nice. Should be great fun. I've thought about carting ever since driving a couple of simple little carts that my brother-in law bought for his kids. driving.gif

Is that thing water cooled? I assumed all carts were air cooled. idea.gif
boxstr
This kart I got in a trade for a 944. It is water cooled, this has a push button start, so you don't have to have a push to get it running.
There are three or four go kart tracks in the area. I was thinking it might be fun to rent one for WCC 2006.
I would be happy to bring my karts out the track. I plan to run them at the PCA autocrosses next year.
CCLINEKARTINGNEWS.COM
jhadler
Having driven a shifter kart a number of times, I can tell you they're a blast and half...

A few things:

1) Get a flak jacket. It's a tight fitting rib protector. Trust me, you won't regret it!

2) Shift... A LOT. The faster you grab the gears, the faster you will accelerate. Remeber, it's a two stroke motor, with a power band about 1 inch wide. So keep snatching the gears faster than you think you should, and watch everything blur as you accelerate to warp speed.

w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif

3) If you're going to run it often, be prepared to rebuild the motor at least once a year. It's not hard to do, nor is it really expensive. But the top end will need work often... Less often if it's a stock build, more often if it's a race motor.

4) Did I mention the rib protector? Along those lines, if the seat doesn't fit perfectly, and I do mean PERFECTLY, get a new one that does. Your aching body will thank you. The seat needs to be quite snug. Remember, no harnesses...

5) The most compliant component of the chassis is your spine, so make sure you have a good fitting seat and a good rib protector. It's a punnishing ride, but an absolute hoot and a half when you get that thing scootin'... burnout.gif

Have fun!

-Josh2
boxstr
Josh My two karts are not shifter karts. I am still a rookie and I have enough to learn and do without bringing shifting into the scenario.
I have a rib protector and one new seat on the way for the Rotax kart. The Birel already has a very snug seat.
One thing I really noticed, how much you need a very snug seat. You don't want to have your butt sliding around when going through fast corners.
These things are a blast. Fortunately both karts are fresh and have zero to 5 hours on them. I have spent the weekdn getting the Birel dialed in, lots of little things, loose nut and the side pods needed securing. Also I had to cut the one pod to clear the radiator.
They are fun to drive and I find them fun to work on as well.
CCLINKARTMEAWAY
messix
craig you need more toys! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.