Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- SoCal Fishin'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JB 914
I'm toying with the idea of purchasing a boat. Don't start with the "Money Pit" talk....we have had boats in our family since i was a kid. Both my brothers own boats and i know there is alot of maintenance and $$ needed to keep them running.

If i can find one that i like for the right price i might just go for it. I'm fairly picky with specific features in mind, so, it might take me a while.

Anyone in SoCal fish? Offshore or surf?

if so drop me a email or PM me. i'm starting a list of potential fishin' buddies.

Heck, maybe we can do a club fishin day on one of the local party boats.

anyone interested?
Aaron Cox
i go deep sea fishing a few times a year out of dana pt or daveys locker in newport
JB 914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 23 2005, 09:34 PM)
i go deep sea fishing a few times a year out of dana pt or daveys locker in newport

Skline said we can use you for "bait" biggrin.gif

just kiddin' your added to the list.
xitspd
ohmy.gif Joe,

Come on out to Diamond Valley Lake! Over 26 miles of beautiful So Cal shoreline. Bass, Trout and Catfish..........
rpmmaxxed
H&M landing has been a third home for me since I was 10.

I would be up for any fishing, anywhere. Name the place and time.

Oh, and if ya want some tuna that I canned on my most recent trip, let me know.
JB 914
Dan,

I'm more of a "Salt Dog" I've never really gotten into fresh water fishin

I like to wade fish in Texas for Speckled trout and Redfish on the flats.

I did some offshore fishing in Texas when i was younger and with my brother's when the conditions are right for smaller boats. Nothing like off shore fishin'

brer
Check out Davis boats in Morro Bay.
I think they build what you're looking for.

they do this boat with a pilot house and full walkaround.
Heavy Seas tested.
JB 914
QUOTE (brer @ Nov 24 2005, 01:05 AM)
Check out Davis boats in Morro Bay.
I think they build what you're looking for.

they do this boat with a pilot house and full walkaround.
Heavy Seas tested.

Thanks for the link, i'll check them out.

if it was just for me and the guys i'd probably get something with a center console and walk around. But, i've got to make it dual Family/Fishing, so, i need some small cabin too.

The wife likes all the ones that cost more than our house. I keep telling her we need to go more "ghetto" lol2.gif
TINCAN914
I'm in any time.
Use to go to Mexico every summer for 2 weeks, Bahia De Los Angeles. (sp) fishing beer, fishing, beer. Great times.
When you want to go I'm in... I know a guy that charters his boat. We can get about 10 guys some time. Don't know how much off hand, but if we want to organize something, I can find out... mueba.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bmunday @ Nov 24 2005, 10:42 AM)
I'm in any time.
Use to go to Mexico every summer for 2 weeks, Bahia De Los Angeles. (sp) fishing beer, fishing, beer. Great times.
When you want to go I'm in... I know a guy that charters his boat. We can get about 10 guys some time. Don't know how much off hand, but if we want to organize something, I can find out... mueba.gif

in my best starsky and putz voice.... "DO IT"
Allan
I used to go trawling for skirts every Friday and Saturday night until I got married.

The wife told me I had to stop it... cool.gif
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 24 2005, 09:43 AM)
QUOTE (bmunday @ Nov 24 2005, 10:42 AM)
I'm in any time.
When you want to go I'm in... I know a guy that charters his boat. We can get about 10 guys some time. Don't know how much off hand, but if we want to organize something, I can find out...  :mueba:

in my best starsky and putz voice.... "DO IT"

Ok.. I will look into it, and post how much room, and how much cash.
Before I do so, any thoughts on when? After the first of the year, within the next few weeks? I'm up for anything. ANyone prefer weekends, weekdays?
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Headrage @ Nov 24 2005, 09:46 AM)
I used to go trawling for skirts every Friday and Saturday night until I got married.

The wife told me I had to stop it... cool.gif

Same here... Did you find they were to restrictive on the waist too? unsure.gif
You were taking about something else huh? dry.gif
TINCAN914
I know there are more pressing issues today, where to sleep after that great turkey dinner yellowsleep[1].gif , but if there is some interest, some feedback would be great. If you guy's have some thoughts on when to go, let me know, I will get some info...
KaptKaos
More of a freshwater guy myself (not from here), but love fishing regardless.

Hmm... Fishing, Buckle, & BBQ. What could be bad about that?
JB 914
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Nov 24 2005, 01:02 PM)
More of a freshwater guy myself (not from here), but love fishing regardless.

Hmm... Fishing, Buckle, & BBQ. What could be bad about that?

Dude, you've never had my Seafood Gumbo. drooley.gif

I smoked some salmon a few times.

I'd like to go for some Yellowtail, but, from what i can tell that's a summer fish unless we wanna go on a long haul cruise. I'm thinking more Catalina.

bmunday let's see how much it cost's and get people to commit. (i.e. deposit up front)
scotty b
QUOTE (PKRMONY @ Nov 24 2005, 04:01 PM)

I smoked some salmon a few times.

How'd you get it lit?? huh.gif
skline
He got it lit with a mini torch but I remember he had trouble keeping it lit. laugh.gif
scotty b
Toke it, toke it out maan smoke.gif (Tommy Chong: up in smoke) Did he clean out the poo so he had a good draw on it?
TimT
Buy a used boat, let someone else take the hit on depreciation. I to have grown up with boats. My dad had a 44 Bertram toot suite!! ive owned myself Boston WHalers fro 13-18' at, and A grover built 26, and a nice Grady-White 21' c/c

I think the a Grady is a good bang for the buck, you could get a few years old walk around cuddy with i/o s for a not back breaking price. I think you should steer away from the outboards if you can, they tend to be less fuel efficient.

I know nothing of the west coast market for boats. If I were buying again id look for a diesel i/o in a well thought out walkaround set up..

caught this cow in The Race off Orient Point, LI a few years back 44 in, 44 pounds
JB 914
QUOTE (TimT @ Nov 24 2005, 07:15 PM)
Buy a used boat, let someone else take the hit on depreciation.

Nice Fish!!

Don't Worry i'm not buying any boat new. i'm looking at used Whalers, but, the are few and pricey here on the west coast.

I'm not really looking at diesels. The size boat i'm looking at doesn't really warrant a diesel. I've talked to a few surveyors and posted on some Boating forums and alot of people feel you don't get a big advantage with diesel until you get into boats over 36' I'm probably looking for something 28' or slightly larger if the price is right. Slip fees go up fast over that size and are hard to find unless you assume the slip.

Plus, the cost of replacing diesels out here is twice the cost of gas inboards.

it appears to be a buyers market out here. i've just got to be patient and wait till i find a good deal in good condition.
Aaron Cox
someone win a holdem tourney?
JB 914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 24 2005, 10:31 PM)
someone win a holdem tourney?

Nope. Don't really get to play much anymore.....no time. Playing poker for me is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

TINCAN914
Oh watching the paint is better!!!
You get the fumes as well... wacko.gif
TINCAN914
Joe,

Yellowtail is a warm waterfish, I think we would need to wait until Summer or way down south.
We can go off Catalina, and go after sea bass, halibut, bottom fish. Still a good time.
I will call the guy and see how much, and ask him what is hitting this time of year...
I will have some info first ormid next week.
KaptKaos
QUOTE (TimT @ Nov 24 2005, 06:15 PM)
Buy a used boat, let someone else take the hit on depreciation. I to have grown up with boats. My dad had a 44 Bertram toot suite!! ive owned myself Boston WHalers fro 13-18' at, and A grover built 26, and a nice Grady-White 21' c/c

I think the a Grady is a good bang for the buck, you could get a few years old walk around cuddy with i/o s for a not back breaking price. I think you should steer away from the outboards if you can, they tend to be less fuel efficient.

I know nothing of the west coast market for boats. If I were buying again id look for a diesel i/o in a well thought out walkaround set up..

caught this cow in The Race off Orient Point, LI a few years back 44 in, 44 pounds

Nice Striper!!
JB 914
QUOTE (bmunday @ Nov 24 2005, 11:28 PM)
Joe,

Yellowtail is a warm waterfish, I think we would need to wait until Summer or way down south.
We can go off Catalina, and go after sea bass, halibut, bottom fish. Still a good time.
I will call the guy and see how much, and ask him what is hitting this time of year...
I will have some info first ormid next week.

Sounds good to me. I'm game for anything....
bernbomb914
If you do offshore fishing you need at least 26' and if you want to go blue fin or albicore fishing you need the range of a diesel plus it is much safer. I fish the Red Rooster out of H& M in san diego mostly long range (5-14 days) They cut up 50 lb fish for bait to catch the cows that run over 200lbs.

Bernie
Toast
Is this restricted to "guys only"?

I'm a fisherwoman. I have been here since 97 and have not had anyone real interested in joining me. Hell, I even clean my own fish (damn catfish are a pain in the a**) and bait my own line.

I have only fished fresh-water including stream and river.
I have never tried Ocean fishing, but would love to. Of course I may need some help realing in the "Big Ones". wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.