Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riviera rim opinion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
These rims have been the least favorite of those who post the most.

I like 'em.

Do you?

KT
hmeeder
Only with a Porsche offset. I had a set on a car a few years ago. VW offset and I couldn't putr anything larger than a 195 on it. Guy I know has 205/50s on them but had to roll and trim his fenders.

Aesthetically I have no problem with them. New ones look pretty sharp.
lapuwali
Too friggin' heavy. Fuchs all the way, as I can't afford gasburners.
Aaron Cox
death by fire + riviera go great together.

couldnt pay me to use em...
dlo914
QUOTE (trekkor @ Nov 23 2005, 10:20 PM)
These rims have been the least favorite of those who post the most.

I like 'em.

Do you?

KT

i like'em, but i could use some low profile tires =) or a set of 8 spoke empis or Panasports drooley.gif
sixnotfour
If I only had 4 lugs I like the mahles,

Trekkor so close with a SIX now you need 5 lugs happy11.gif
So easy to spend someone elses money.
mrobin
I really don't know why everyone wants to be the same, fuchs or nothing.
I'm not saying riviera's are better (there not) but at least it's something different.
Brotherbob
Its what I have so low profile tires, flair the fenders and away we go...... mueba.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
I don't like them. My first teener had them:
IPB Image

IPB Image
Katmanken
Usta sell those on Beetles at the VW dealership...

I see those, I think Beetle option....

I gots 5 Fuchs to replace those spiffy sport steel wheels.... Those sport wheels just say Sunbug to me.... You know, Sunbug- VW beetle in gold or metallic blue with sport wheels..

Can ya tell a lot of my aircooled/ accessory experience was in Beetles?

Ken
double-a
they're ok, still can't shake the "hot wheels" image from my mind when i see them. saw some old school rivs with no black paint at the local vw shop awhile back. they looked great, and if they were polished i think they'd look even better.

~a
Trekkor
the "hot wheels" image

I could never put that together until now.

I have very fond memories of Hot Wheels. wub.gif

KT
thomasotten
I like "Hot wheels" looking rims... that's why I have Fuchs. Seriously, here is what I would do in order of preference:

5-lug Fuchs
4-lug Fuchs, with the black background

Either one give it the classic look.

The Riviara would be cool looking except for the center part is too big.
bd1308
i have rivs...i like them.

VW offset. i have 195s on them. no rubbing.

it works, i like it.

i *DONT* like the brake dust eating away the paint and the clear coat.

i drive my 914 everyday.

I live in KY AND i can spell....

b
messix
i've seen them polished and i think they looked great. i think chromed would look better [no paint]
sean_v8_914
fgvn
sean_v8_914
bv
sean_v8_914
bnm
Trekkor
The Fuchs without the background paint on the second picture look pretty good.

Maybe it's just the black paint that makes me think of the American Racing Bug replica's that I don't care for.

KT
Brando
I have rivs. They were an 'upgrade' from the sport steel wheels. When I have the cash, I'm going with another set of steel wheels... But they'll be 4-lug, wide and lighter than the rivs.
VWnDRAG
I’d probably keep the Rivera’s if it wasn’t time for new tires. Blasted VW offset! headbang.gif
Hate those huge center caps though. I always thought it made them look a little like chariot wheels.
But, I should have the new 4 lug Fuchs in 4-6 weeks. I sent a deposit last week to Alex at MagroWheels.com. Happy Birthday to me……….Happy birthday to me…..

r_towle
I have two sets...and now have fuchs..

I put my hoosiers on fuchs and they rub on the inside rear....

The hoosiers are really wide...205/50/15...but wider than most tires...

They fit fine with the riv's////

So, if you want to put wide hoosiers on....these are the ticket...

If I remember...they ahve a 4 1/8 in offset versus 4 5/8 on the fuchs.

Rich
crash914
I got an extra set...anyone want them??? Pm me for info...thanks...
carr914
I think there should be another Poll option

"So ugly I wouldn't use them as a hose reel."

I voted for the car fire option, but I would never wish that on anybody.
bembry
They're starting to grow on me. Very 70's retro too. Not ditching my 2 liter Fuchs for them. . .just sayin'

Thing is, they have to be new looking--old beat up ones really look like ass (moreso than other rims).
BKLA
Had them on my first. (porsche offset) When I sold the car, a friend of mine had the VW offset ones and wanted to trade. Didn't know until then that there was a difference.

Didn't like them then... wanted 5 lug fuchs....

But they look nice.... with the right offset!
Drums66
.....This thread has not endured, as long as my love for these
wheels(Riv's) wub.gif
P.S. but the correct 914 offset yellowsleep[1].gif yellowsleep[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Root_Werks
There's been a couple of threads on Riv's recently. Styles etc. There are....5 I believe? They were all identified a couple of months ago.

I like them, the 80's produced ones (VW Offset). Yeah, you can only run 185's, but on a stock body street car, works fine.

Painted black with BUB's, you get the 80's Porsche Fuch look (Kinda).

Leave them as they came and you get more the 70's Fuch look.

Probably my favorite rims on 914's are the Mahles.
Sleepin
I never cared much for them...but after seeing 80% of 914's with Fuchs...they break up the monotony. My dad has them on his car, and I don't mind them one bit.

IPB Image
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 10 2010, 01:38 PM) *

I never cared much for them...but after seeing 80% of 914's with Fuchs...they break up the monotony. My dad has them on his car, and I don't mind them one bit.

IPB Image

agree.gif Your Dad's car looks hot! drooley.gif

confused24.gif Click to view attachment shades.gif
Jerry

Mine has them....they are OK
hot_shoe914
I used to hate them. Suddenly now though, for some reason, they have grown on my. I have Rivs, Mahles and 2.0 Fuchs. Just swap them out once in awhile.
Click to view attachment
Jeffs9146
I had one in the early 80's with the Porsche offset painted white. They looked good and I had 195's all the way around!
Sleepin
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 10 2010, 11:01 PM) *

agree.gif Your Dad's car looks hot! drooley.gif

Looks better in pictures! wink.gif smash.gif welder.gif
914_teener
I have a set...VW offset. Anybody want them..charity for someone on the board. I have a spare with the 914 offset.

Come pick them up....So Cal area. Sorry for the hijack. I have fuchs now and run 205's, Liked the rivs but couldn't run the tire set up I wanted to, and I didn't like the look so much as I always had the fuch's on all my cars.

just an opinion.
Atomman
I have a set on mine I sorta like them huh.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

not sure what off set they are porsche or VW but they are real close to the arch on the rear with 185's on,

Any one know what the offsets are for porsche and VW ?

I remember reading some where that porsche was ET35 and VW was ET17 ?

Maybe if i get a better offset i can put a bigger tyre on

loco914
Not real fond of the Rivs...a set of Fuchs is on my list.
914 shifter
i have had a 70 1.7 since 4/10 it came with rivs and 195/65 bf goodrich.left side rubs in hard right turns. right side no problem. i just bought new 100# springs, and a pair of rear konis used in good condition from a member.putting springs/shocks on next wk.i like the mahle /fuchs rims better, but have to settle with rivs for now.
Coy
Click to view attachment

If I had 5 lugs, I'd go with Fuchs, but Riviaras have always been my 4 lug preference.

bembry
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 10 2010, 11:38 AM) *

IPB Image

This thread has taught me that yellow 914s look especially bad-ass with Rivieras. piratenanner.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
how about a group buy on these foul fitting ugly wheels? 10 sets sold 300 per set of four.
arkitect
QUOTE(914 shifter @ Sep 25 2010, 10:53 AM) *

i have had a 70 1.7 since 4/10 it came with rivs and 195/65 bf goodrich.left side rubs in hard right turns. right side no problem. i just bought new 100# springs, and a pair of rear konis used in good condition from a member.putting springs/shocks on next wk.i like the mahle /fuchs rims better, but have to settle with rivs for now.

I've got a set on mine, like them alot.

Coy, where did you get the black center caps, with the porsche decal, looks pretty hot.

Dave
Coy
QUOTE(arkitect @ Sep 29 2010, 10:36 PM) *

QUOTE(914 shifter @ Sep 25 2010, 10:53 AM) *

I've got a set on mine, like them alot.

Coy, where did you get the black center caps, with the porsche decal, looks pretty hot.

Dave

I bought the center caps from Dr.914 at AA. The decals were give aways from the 2006 WCC in Portland. Craig Laughlin at Camp914 (boxstr) had them. Seems like they were donated, but I don't remember who donated them. Craig might still have some around.
bernbomb914
I like ATS wheelsClick to view attachment[Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
They are ok but why all the extra holes in the hub center...?
rnellums
agree.gif The spokes are fine, but the lack of symmetry in the hub(4 lugs for five spokes) and all the additional holes kill it for me.
TheCabinetmaker
When your traveling next to a car with rivs, at a certain speed, they have a strobe effect and appear to not be spinning. Kind cool looking.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.