Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Started on some headwork
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I finally got going on a couple of sets of 103's heads that I'm doing...thought I'd share some pic's.

I have the bores done, guides in, rough porting, un-shrouded the valves and I have cut for the new seats.

They will get 44 X 38mm valves smile.gif
Mark Henry
Over the next few weeks I hope to get the new plug holes in, seats in and start on some final porting and blending.

Then we'll see how well they flow.

smile.gif
messix
don't need to remind you about sharp edges in the combustion chamber.
Mark Henry
Ummmm...do they look done?

Blending is almost the last job.
messix
nope. but nice work so far. clap.gif
Mark Henry
seats
Mark Henry
seats and SS valves
Dr. Roger
great work!

porting really is the best kept secret to more power. smilie_pokal.gif

i'm running a SBC BTW.

my current running heads were relieved and port matched but i've got another set of old school camel humps with new seats and guides that need lots of work...

looks like you know what your doing.

do you have your own flow bench or do you go to someone who does? i've never done this before but am very interested in your process.

gunna' put a polish on 'em? biggrin.gif

Roger
Mark Henry
My neighbour just down the road has a full superflow set-up...not really concerned with the numbers, I'm just going to see if they're flowing the same.

I will polish them a bit, but the polishing doesn't help the flow a huge amount...more of a pride of workmansihp thing.

Other than clean up I'm not doing much with the intakes.
Dead Air
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Nov 24 2005, 12:07 PM)
Over the next few weeks I hope to get the new plug holes in, seats in and start on some final porting and blending.

Then we'll see how well they flow.

smile.gif

[QUOTE]

Techical question:

Leaving the ports a little uh.., "nubbly" improves flow?
Mark Henry
Ask two different porters and you get two different answers.

Some say that a bit of roughness helps turbulence and keeps the fuel atomized...too smooth and it wets down the port.

Others say that smooth flow is paramount and it's moving to fast to wet the port.

I've done many a T1 both ways and have never noticed a huge difference. To me the porting is more important than making it real pretty.

BTW those exhaust ports are quite smooth...just not polished to a mirror shine. Also the porting is not done as the new seats have a bigger ID than stock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.