Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fake Ebay Auction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
This looks to be an incredibly bogus auction for many reasons. I've sent an email to ebay, but think we need more so people don't get burned.

Ebay Seqway
grasshopper
whats wrong with it?? confused24.gif
bd1308
i like the yellow accents wacko.gif

b
Jacco
since seller is based in germany and only has german feedback, is that why unsure.gif
SpecialK
I must be missing something, looks ligit to me. confused24.gif
ConeDodger
Looks ligit. Possibly American serviceman or woman based currently in Germany. Is it his price? I have a number of things in my driveway I would love to get half what I paid for them. Boat, BMW motorcycle, restored 240Z... I just don't see what you think is bogus about this... You could be right though... I guess we will see.
dlo914
OR someone has unauthorized access to someone else's Ebay Account and using the account to sell items w/ a high listing fee. And having the charges made to the account holder's credit card/paypal account. How do i know? Because it happened to me. Some guy in Romania somehow got ahold of my account and attempted to sell a new cell phone and had a listing fee of $60. Luckily, i caught the bastard before the item sold. biggrin.gif
Mueller
seems odd his past auctions are in German (and in Germany) and with way more restrictive shipping requirements...the buy it now for $2100 is an email address, why not do it correctly thru the eBay buy it now if legit???

I agress with Sean, something fishey going on....
seanery
here are my reasons:
1- All previous transactions are German, last one only a couple weeks prior
2- 3 day auction - most sellers know that to get top dollar on item like this it needs to be a 7 (or 10) day auction
3 - no reserve on a very high dollar item (not necessarily a problem in itself, but with the others it a red flag)
4 - Buy it now is via an email, not through ebay
5 - VERY large # of cancelled bids by the seller (my assumption is once he's called out he cancells their bid)
6 - Free shipping? On an 80+ lb item - yeah right...maybe with a high buy it now done legit
7 - No Paypal...c'mon even if you hate it, it gives you the most protection buying/selling on ebay
nomore9one4
I like the high bidders screen name. lol2.gif Besides I think that is German grass! flag.gif
Demick
here are my reasons:
1- All previous transactions are German, last one only a couple weeks prior

So?

2- 3 day auction - most sellers know that to get top dollar on item like this it needs to be a 7 (or 10) day auction

So??

3 - no reserve on a very high dollar item (not necessarily a problem in itself, but with the others it a red flag)

So??

4 - Buy it now is via an email, not through ebay

The seller would like to avoid $100 in ebay fees if he can help it. Not the right thing to do, but not really that uncommon.

5 - VERY large # of cancelled bids by the seller (my assumption is once he's called out he cancells their bid)

Agreed that this is odd.

6 - Free shipping? On an 80+ lb item - yeah right...maybe with a high buy it now done legit

Where does it say free shipping?

7 - No Paypal...c'mon even if you hate it, it gives you the most protection buying/selling on ebay

Just because you don't take paypal doesn't make you a fraud. Especially since the paypal fee would be $50+ for this item.

So the rejected bids is odd, but nothing else about this auction raises a major red flag. I don't know why you are so convinced that it is a fraud.

Demick

Andyrew
At the time it was posted. there was free shipping on the item..

Now.. oddly enough.. there is not
SirAndy
QUOTE (boboli914@att.net @ Nov 25 2005, 10:38 AM)
Besides I think that is German grass! flag.gif

that picture is certainly NOT taken in germany. it could very well be CA ...

no double yellow lines on german roads ...
smilie_flagge6.gif Andy
SpecialK
Well, the "item location" does say CA. So you could be right Andy. wink.gif
seanery
Ebay pulled the auction:

Invalid Item
This listing (7199481015) has been removed by eBay or is no longer available. Please make sure that you've entered the item number correctly.
If the item was removed by eBay, please consider this transaction canceled. If anybody contacts you to complete the sale, please ignore the request. Completing the sale outside of eBay may be unsafe and will not be covered by eBay purchase protection programs.

Items that ended more than 90 days ago are no longer accessible through the eBay system.
serge914
Amen

I nevet buy anything from sellers that dont accept Paypal.
dmenche914
PayPal is a pain in the ass. So many times they have canceled my account for security "concerns" just when i win an auction that the seller only accepts paypal.

To much Bull shit from Pay Pal. Each time they cancel for security or what ever i have to resubmit my credit card, and wait and wait for their reply.

Been burned too many times by Pay Pal, they didn't pay and they ain't my pal. Fuck them!
nomore9one4
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Nov 25 2005, 11:12 AM)
QUOTE (boboli914@att.net @ Nov 25 2005, 10:38 AM)
Besides I think that is German grass! flag.gif

that picture is certainly NOT taken in germany. it could very well be CA ...

no double yellow lines on german roads ...
smilie_flagge6.gif Andy

I was just kidding. I did not think there was german grass! lol2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.