Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to mount a Holley Elect Fuel pump?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neo914-6
Ok, finally got the gas tank out, the holes for my Weltmeister sway bar drilled, and now need to mount my fuel pump. I've looked for places on the sheet metal in the trunk which are very few. I decided not to mount under the gas tank because it is very tight and I won't mount it in the engine bay...
930 914
Hi Felix Scott Here long time no hear from.
As far as your fuel pump. Are you doing carb or inj. It might suit you well to put it in the back and run new lines to it. That is what I did. I installed new bungs for a #10 line and a #8 return on my tank and ran the lines to the rear, Looks great and pretty simple with the right an fittings.

d914
the other place would be low on the other side of the bulkhead in the front trunk area.

Room for pre and post filters
close to tank
maybe a little down hill from tank
run the feed line back down the center tunnel.
campbellcj
Not a V8 but probably the same pump you're talking about (Holley Red)...
d914
yea... like I said biggrin.gif
Trekkor
Mine's under the battery mounted to the lower firewall right next to the warm air tube inlet.

KT
sean_v8_914
fdh
sean_v8_914
nbvnvb
GWN7
QUOTE (campbellcj @ Nov 24 2005, 05:09 PM)
Not a V8 but probably the same pump you're talking about (Holley Red)...

That's where mine is too.....easy to work on and you have lost the front trunk anyway.........

Check the ratings on the pump...some are rated higher for pushing than pulling...........
Andyrew
Mine is in the stock location as well... engine bay...

I've had NO problems....

neo914-6
Thanks all! clap.gif From past discussions I decided the front trunk would be best for me: Push vs. Pull from tank, accessibility, and two walls from hearing it. I will likely copy Chris C's set up but w/o the nice braided hoses...

Anyone got a better solution to plugging the return line on the tank other than a short piece of hose and bolt? What thread size are the fittings? Oh and where can I tap into the factory fuel pump wiring?
Trekkor
Anyone got a better solution to plugging the return line on the tank other than a short piece of hose and bolt?

Yes, here's what I did with total success. wink.gif

Remove the tube from the tank you no longer need.
Tap the end flat with a small hammer and weld it up.
Re-install the tube.

You're done!

If you ever *want* to use it again, use a tubing cutter on the welded piece right before the flat section and you are back, good as new, just 1/2" shorter.

KT
neo914-6
QUOTE (930 914 @ Nov 24 2005, 02:08 PM)
Hi Felix Scott Here long time no hear from.
As far as your fuel pump. Are you doing carb or inj. It might suit you well to put it in the back and run new lines to it. That is what I did. I installed new bungs for a #10 line and a #8 return on my tank and ran the lines to the rear, Looks great and pretty simple with the right an fittings.

Hey Scott, how's your turbo V8? Post pics!
Dr. Roger
mine's almost exactly like seans.

if your not replacing the fuel lines, i wouldnt want to pressurize them by putting the pump up front?

if you are, then it's all good.

just find the fastest race cars and see what they do and why. biggrin.gif

geez felix, at this rate we just might be ready for '07 wcc.... LOL
neo914-6
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Nov 25 2005, 12:55 AM)
geez felix,  at this rate we just might be ready for '07 wcc....  LOL

I "think" Brad replaced the line a couple of years ago when the tunnel was open, I know it isn't the original. I had to go electric because the RH kit doesn't allow for the mechanical pump that worked with my old Jaide kit. screwy.gif

The neo914-6 WILL be complete at least by October but I'm shooting for it running by July. I may show it at WCC...
If "Z" doesn't show, what will YOU do? confused24.gif

My V8 is second priority but it's coming along. I have most of the parts, now it just takes time. wink.gif
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Nov 25 2005, 02:06 AM)
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Nov 25 2005, 12:55 AM)
geez felix,  at this rate we just might be ready for '07 wcc....  LOL

I "think" Brad replaced the line a couple of years ago when the tunnel was open, I know it isn't the original. I had to go electric because the RH kit doesn't allow for the mechanical pump that worked with my old Jaide kit. screwy.gif

The neo914-6 WILL be complete at least by October but I'm shooting for it running by July. I may show it at WCC...
If "Z" doesn't show, what will YOU do? confused24.gif

My V8 is second priority but it's coming along. I have most of the parts, now it just takes time. wink.gif

whoa, felix....

what's this thing about "z"? not showing? i must have missed something....

in all seriousness i am planning on making it to wcc '06. already planned the time off.

don't forget the offer is still open if your getting a work day together... all i need is diet coke and some grub. LOL or a half day at your place and the other half at mark's...

u got my number. biggrin.gif
sj914
In regards to the wiring, When I moved mine to the front, I just tapped in to one of the lines that are switched by the ignition switch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.