Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling all So Cal-ers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
guiltless
I am currently in the tear down phase of my '70 teener. The car was not drivable when I bought it and so I have never driven a 914.

I recently got a job as a valet and have been disappointed in every porsche that I have driven. (Boxter, Boxter S, 996, 996TT, 997) Actually, not so much disappointed as just uncomfortable. Something just doesn't "feel" right, if you know what I mean. I know they are great cars butit has to feel right for me to move forward.

Bottom Line:
I would be very grateful if someone would allow me a ride in their teener, and possibly a drive, to see if I really want to continue with the project. I plan on investing ALOT of money in this car and I want to make sure I will be happy in the end.
I am sure you can all understand, it is just a piece of mind thing. And if I don't like it, there will be a great tub for sale in the near future.

Thanx a bunch.
-Chris
Mueller
Well, the 914 is very sparse compared to the newer cars, if you are disappointed in any of those listed, the 914 will not be better in my opinion.

How far have you driven these cars?

Have you been able to "really" drive them? You know, get on the gas, hit a corner or two, accelerate out, hit the brakes......1st time I just drove a Boxster, it was okay, nothing more special than my Volvo...2nd time I got to drive a Boxster, I was able to wind it out thru the gears, hit a few corners and it was a totally different experiance.

A bone stock 914 can be fun to drive, a modified one even more fun if put together correctly....with the mods you are talking about (huge flares and such), you will be changing the steering characteristics quite a bit, so a car with wide front tires would be better to find for a test drive...oh yea, and YOU have to drive the car like how you normally drive.
JB 914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Nov 24 2005, 10:00 PM)

Have you been able to "really" drive them? You know, get on the gas, hit a corner or two, accelerate out, hit the brakes......

Yea, be a professional Valet like in Ferris Bueller's Day off

lol2.gif

then check back in and report the results.

Sorry, both my cars are torn down for paint now, otherwise i'd invite you for a drive.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (PKRMONY @ Nov 24 2005, 10:05 PM)
Sorry, both my cars are torn down for paint now, otherwise i'd invite you for a drive.

me 2.... sad2.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (PKRMONY @ Nov 24 2005, 10:05 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Nov 24 2005, 10:00 PM)

Have you been able to "really" drive them? You know, get on the gas, hit a corner or two, accelerate out, hit the brakes......

Yea, be a professional Valet like in Ferris Bueller's Day off

lol2.gif

then check back in and report the results.

right out of high school I had a buddy that was a valet for a place in Saratoga right off of Hwy 9, we'd visit him and depending on the car, he'd give me or my other buddy a ride in the car once the customers went in to the rest. and go blasting up the mountain road for about 5 minutes.....guy drove pretty damn good (or so we thought for 18 year olds) and I was once a passanger in a brand new (no plates even) '84 911....that is was sold me on the cars and I wanted one from that day...I think a lot had to do with the road and him winding it out...had it just been a slow trip around the block, my views on Porsches might have been totally different....
guiltless
We have a great parking garage that allows us to have fun in 1st and 2nd with some nice corners. But the problem isn't that. The cars drive great and grip well, but there is just this intangible "thing" about them that makes them not "feel" right to me. I can't really articulate it well.

I think that it is just going to be one of those things for me. It's like corvettes, they are great cars but I hate to drive them for some reason.

We shall see.
Elliot_Cannon
Woah!! Dude!! The way you treat other peoples cars, I'm not so sure I want you anywhere near mine. Guys like you are the reason newer Porsches have Valet Switches.
Cheers, Elliot
TonyAKAVW
I'll be driving down to San Diego tomorrow (Friday) morning, so I could potentially stop by and give you a quick ride/test drive on my way.

My car is a 1970 pretty much stock, except for front sway bar and slightly stiffer rear springs, and really sticky tires.

I'll PM you my phone number.

-Tony
markb
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Nov 24 2005, 09:29 PM)
Woah!! Dude!! The way you treat other peoples cars, I'm not so sure I want you anywhere near mine. Guys like you are the reason newer Porsches have Valet Switches.
Cheers, Elliot

I'm ignorant of a Valet Switch. What does it do?
Brando
I have a "valet key" on my 914 key ring. Locks the glove box and the front trunk, not the rear trunk.

I think the valet switch is to prevent said valet driver from really driving the car.

Guiltless, make your way out to the PCA RSR (Riverside Region) Autocross on December 10th and you can see at least one teener. If you show I'll even let you drive mine. The worst that could happen would be you kill some cones smile.gif
guiltless
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Nov 24 2005, 09:29 PM)
Cheers, Elliot

Lol!!! Have no fear. We don't ever really get em up above 25 or so, and our turns have ramps for going to the next level so the suspension can be felt by going down around a turn even at slower speeds. We'll give it some gas, but we're not stupid. See what the car feels like in first, hit the brake and slow down with second. Plus, there is no way we could get away with taking the car off property. They stay in the garage.
Always Looking
Your welcome to come by and drive mine - stock 1.7 with bilsteins. I'm not sure if this will give you any indication of what you want, but the choice is yours. Monday nights 9:30ish, we do a guy's night at the local dive bars. Might be a good chance for you to come by. Most weekend days from 2-4 I'm here too.

Dan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.