Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FLOOR BOARDS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
Question: I have removed my carpeting, if you can call it that. Iam trying to prep for paint in the coming months. THe question that I have is this. I have seen posts regarding the insulation or sound proof pad. (Not sure of technical name)
It dosen't appear that I have anything there. Basically what I see is a light yellowish looking film, (similar to what is on the firewall) Beyond that, I don't see anything. Does anyone have any pics or lonks to a previous post as to what t looks like.
I don't want to waste my time if I don't have to.

Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
Aaron Cox
willl look like this when its all off....

user posted image
thanks again grimstead
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 25 2005, 11:15 AM)
willl look like this when its all off....

user posted image
thanks again grimstead

That's what I thought.. SH&%!!!!!
ANyone want to come over and do mine? Aaron what did you guy's use to take it off?
Tomorrow is the big day yes? Vroom, Vroom..
SirAndy
QUOTE (bmunday @ Nov 25 2005, 12:14 PM)
Feedback is appreciated.

if it's painted in the color of the car, that means you still have the tar stuff in there ...

they put it on the bare metal and then painted over it ...

after 30+ years, the tar usually has cracked and water has made it's way inside and the floor boards started to rust.
do the crunch test. press hard on one of the depressions on the floor board, like behind the seats, and listen for the rust underneath to "crunch" ...

body-colored tar with cracks and rust:
user posted image

and after taking it all off (you can see the rust in the depression areas):
user posted image

smash.gif Andy
Allan
Normally the only thing there is a coating of a tar like material that most people remove because it has a tendency to seperate fron the floor and trap moisture. I plan on eventually removing mine and goind to either dynamat or fatmat.
SpecialK
.....and rust is depressing. sad.gif
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Nov 25 2005, 11:25 AM)
.....and rust is depressing.  :(

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif I HATE RUST, RUST BAD!!!!
Ok I have seen heat guns use, any suggestions on the best way?
Istill have the aircraft stripper, might that work? good bad? Advice please before I start beating it with a hammer while screaming!!!
SpecialK
I did my Jeep Wrangler inner tube with a three part truck bed liner (Herculiner?), that shit was tough as nails, and impervious to everything. The only problem I could see in this application is that it had a texture which might make it difficult to get the carpets to stay where you want them (hard to get velcro to stick to the liner).

As far as removing the tar, I used a heatgun and a 2" scraper (putty knife)....big pain in the ass! I've also heard that dry ice will make it brittle enough to bust up and remove.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bmunday @ Nov 25 2005, 12:30 PM)
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Nov 25 2005, 11:25 AM)
.....and rust is depressing.  :(

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif I HATE RUST, RUST BAD!!!!
Ok I have seen heat guns use, any suggestions on the best way?
Istill have the aircraft stripper, might that work? good bad? Advice please before I start beating it with a hammer while screaming!!!

bill grimstead brought over a heat gun and a crzy scraper
user posted image
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Nov 25 2005, 11:31 AM)
I did my Jeep Wrangler inner tube with a three part truck bed liner (Herculiner?), that shit was tough as nails, and impervious to everything. The only problem I could see in this application is that it had a texture which might make it difficult to get the carpets to stay where you want them (hard to get velcro to stick to the liner).

As far as removing the tar, I used a heatgun and a 2" scraper (putty knife)....big pain in the ass! I've also heard that dry ice will make it brittle enough to bust up and remove.

I can get dry ice down the street, might be the cleanest. I will give it a shot, and post a little later.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bmunday @ Nov 25 2005, 12:35 PM)
I did my Jeep Wrangler inner tube with a three part truck bed liner (Herculiner?), that shit was tough as nails, and impervious to everything.  The only problem I could see in this application is that it had a texture which might make it difficult to get the carpets to stay where you want them (hard to get velcro to stick to the liner).

As far as removing the tar, I used a heatgun and a 2" scraper (putty knife)....big pain in the ass!  I've also heard that dry ice will make it brittle enough to bust up and remove.

I can get dry ice down the street, might be the cleanest. I will give it a shot, and post a little later.

do it smile.gif
SirAndy

heat gun is much easier if done right ...

get a big putty knife and heat up large patches of the tar, like 10-15 square inches at a time.
it'll come off in large chuncks with the putty knife.

the trick is NOT to get it too hot so it melts, you just want it to be warm enough to flex and it'll come right off the floor ...

dry ice is *much* more of a PITA ...
cool.gif Andy
TINCAN914
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Nov 25 2005, 11:50 AM)

heat gun is much easier if done right ...

get a big putty knife and heat up large patches of the tar, like 10-15 square inches at a time.
it'll come off in large chuncks with the putty knife.

the trick is NOT to get it too hot so it melts, you just want it to be warm enough to flex and it'll come right off the floor ...

dry ice is *much* more of a PITA ...
cool.gif Andy

Oh Andy I don't want to hear that....
Went and got the dry ice,should have stuck around.. ANyone know how long I should ltypically let the ice sit before going after it? Smackit a few times withthe hammer? I will give it a shot, and if it's a pain, then I will look at investing in a heat gun.
Chromatech
QUOTE (bmunday @ Nov 25 2005, 11:35 AM)
I did my Jeep Wrangler inner tube with a three part truck bed liner (Herculiner?), that shit was tough as nails, and impervious to everything.  The only problem I could see in this application is that it had a texture which might make it difficult to get the carpets to stay where you want them (hard to get velcro to stick to the liner).

As far as removing the tar, I used a heatgun and a 2" scraper (putty knife)....big pain in the ass!  I've also heard that dry ice will make it brittle enough to bust up and remove.

Around here we wait and do the removal a winter project. It gets cold enough that it chips out quite easily biggrin.gif I think the dry ice would work well.

TINCAN914
So far the ice aint workin....
Been sitting in the same spot for 15 minutes, nutting happening. I'm not a scientist, hell some days I wonder how I find my way home, (shut up) but I gave it a couple smacks, and nothing.. Any thoughs on how long it should sit there before the ice has an impact..? pun intended..
bd1308
dude..cut the dry ice up into little cube things that fit in the neck of a 20 ounce coke bottle...get some HOT water and pour it in the coke bottle as well as a few dry ice cubes....

put the cap on, dig a hole in the dirt VERY quickly throw bottle in cover it up and run.....

BOOM!!

wink.gif

b
TINCAN914
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 25 2005, 12:25 PM)
dude..cut the dry ice up into little cube things that fit in the neck of a 20 ounce coke bottle...get some HOT water and pour it in the coke bottle as well as a few dry ice cubes....

put the cap on, dig a hole in the dirt VERY quickly throw bottle in cover it up and run.....

BOOM!!

wink.gif

b

Been there done that. Use to make PVC pipe bombs as well. Got in to much trouble doing stuff like that. Sure it's fun, but I'm trying to be productive today.. Not having much luck though...Someone toss me a bone here....?
bd1308
i would get a heat gun.....

b
SirAndy
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 25 2005, 01:42 PM)
Someone toss me a bone here....?
i would get a heat gun.....

av-943.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (bmunday @ Nov 25 2005, 02:32 PM)

BOOM!!

wink.gif

b

Been there done that. Use to make PVC pipe bombs as well. Got in to much trouble doing stuff like that. Sure it's fun, but I'm trying to be productive today.. Not having much luck though...Someone toss me a bone here....?

Maybe throwing a blanket or towell over the dry ice will help put the cold where you want it to go. After the bottom of the floor pan gets frosty, try popping it with a mallet from the bottom (might not hurt to have the car sitting in its natural configuration...on jack stands, that way you can get a better swing at it).

[disclaimer: I have no idea if the above tip will help as I've never tried it.......but it's a "bone" wink.gif )
Lou W
I used a small propane tank with the tip, heated it up and scraped it off, it worked great and it was real fast. smilie_pokal.gif
TINCAN914
NO MORE BONES!!!
Funny people, real funny... That's what I get for askin around here. Went with the heat gun. Started with the ice, didn't seem to work, I'm sure it's me, but I didn't want to screw around with it. Thought perhaps Aircraft stripper, (because I had no idea what I was doing that's why) Now I got the gun going, and it's coming off... I can't make up my mind if it is more enjoyable. stripping paint, or this crap.....
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Nov 25 2005, 12:57 PM)

BOOM!!

wink.gif

b

Maybe throwing a blanket or towell over the dry ice will help put the cold where you want it to go. After the bottom of the floor pan gets frosty, try popping it with a mallet from the bottom (might not hurt to have the car sitting in its natural configuration...on jack stands, that way you can get a better swing at it).

[disclaimer: I have no idea if the above tip will help as I've never tried it.......but it's a "bone" wink.gif )

Ha,Ha funny man.... dry.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (bmunday @ Nov 25 2005, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Nov 25 2005, 12:57 PM)

BOOM!!

wink.gif

b

Ha,Ha funny man.... dry.gif

Well, it looked good on paper. cool_shades.gif
Aaron Cox
done yet? laugh.gif
J P Stein
Mine is still on there. Since I'm probably underweight (I can't lie if I don't know) and it's in gud shape, I'll leave it there.
If I get weighed I'd have to boot myself to E Mod .....then it's gone.
Aaron Cox
something like 40 lbs or so total i think
J P Stein
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 25 2005, 02:41 PM)
something like 40 lbs or so total i think

Somethin' like that. Well placed ballast in my book.
Aaron Cox
JP - got a new smiley for ya
user posted image
IronHillRestorations
The only way to go is with a 1" and 2" wood chisel. You can sharpen them when they get dull. This is the way it's been done in my shop for years, and the easiest way to go.

Heat gun and dry ice are a waste of time, IMHO. Just be careful with a sharp chisel, and don't gouge the metal. Don't waste your time and money with aircraft stripper, the tar mat is too thick for that stuff, all you'll do is take the factory paint off the tar mat.

Why are you taking if off anyway? If you've got corrosion under it, then yes it's a good idea. Or if you want to save 3 lbs of weight.

After it's POR 15'd and painted, I replace it with B-Quiet "Brown Bread". PM me if you want some, I've got plenty in stock. The only difference with that is it's got a shiney foil backing, but it paints OK and it's going to get covered with carpet too.
JB 914
Since you are in there maybe you should put in an Engman inner long kit biggrin.gif

Clean all that tar crap out and then use a degreaser to clean the floor pan.

You should use a screwdriver to check any rusty spots to make sure you can't poke holes in the floor pan. Especially check the right along the bottom where it curves up to meet the longs. That's where i have seen rust in both my cars. Also, check the back corners of the floor pan. water seems to settle at that spot and i've seen rust on both my cars there too.

Then you should use something like POR-15 metal ready or JASCO. you can get jasco at Home Depot. After that you should put some type of rust proofing paint like POR-15 down on the floor.

If i can stay motivated i'm going to be welding my inner long kit into my 71' on Saturday. welder.gif With any luck i'll get it to the paint shop by January. smash.gif
TINCAN914
well I have about 90% removed. Just before Iwent to the emergency room.Cut the ring finger on my left hand. Right down the middle through the nail. 5 stiches and 5 hours later I got home... Hurt like a muther. I almost passed out..cut myself many times, but I don't think I have ever come close to passing out. sad.gif
SH^% sucks having one hand, can't work on the car... mad.gif

Anyway, there are some rust spots, crunchy pass side back corner, can't tell just yet how bad, but willget to it next week.
Putty knifeand heat gun seems tobe the way to go.. Kids, keep your fingers out of the way of sharp objects!!!! headbang.gif

Andy I think we need a smily guy in a body cast. Ithink I might need it for future treads...

Everyone going to the swap meet today?
I'm the guy with the giant bandage on his hand..Looks like the ER roomconfused me with a gunshot victim...

Bri
swl
damn, talk about putting blood sweat and tears into a project!

Do you have your back pad off? Rust in the passenger rear might be from a firewall hole. Or from a leaky rear window, or from poor seals, or from ...
TINCAN914
QUOTE (swl @ Nov 26 2005, 06:04 AM)
damn, talk about putting blood sweat and tears into a project!

Do you have your back pad off? Rust in the passenger rear might be from a firewall hole. Or from a leaky rear window, or from poor seals, or from ...

Pad is off and inthe trash.
I told the wife abroken finger, and now stiches. Better be careful or next time Imight loose something I need. Man I feel for the person that hurts this car....So much work, sooo much blood.... smile.gif
Aaron Cox
dude. finger pic. and progress pic please.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.