Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 Front & Rear on A 75
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschecb
I have made up my mind and want to go to the 916 front & rear fiberglass on my 75 and get rid of the late style HEAVY bumpers. What problems will I encounter? Other parts needed? Will not be using flares. Thanks in advance for any helpfull info.

Michael
SirAndy
QUOTE (porschecb @ Nov 25 2005, 12:42 PM)
Will not be using flares. Thanks in advance for any helpfull info.

IMHO, the 916 front end looks out of place on a narrow body car ...

wink.gif Andy
porschecb
Andy: I somewhat agree. But to lose the look & the weight I think I would rather go this route than just to back date. I am running 205-55-15 tires and think with that stance the car would look decent.

Michael
thesey914
You are going in the right direction....those L8 bumpers are FUGLY
(disclaimer -only my opinion)
poke.gif
r_towle
AllI can think of...now I may be wrong here...but there is a steel tab...like a fin from the weld...that may need to be cut off and ground down...

I think when you backdate to the earlier bumpers you need to do that, and the 916 bumpers are the same configuration...

Rich
eeyore
There are sheetmetal hook/flange things that the '75+ rubber bumper covers hook over. You'll probablay have to drill out the spotwelds and grind them off. There are two on each side of the bumper, and a long one below the front trunk.
Bleyseng
I am with SirAndy on this, without flares the 916 bumpers look fugly on a narrow bodied car.
Look into FG early bumpers if you want to lose weight. I took my late ones off to shed some pounds for AXing and it does make the car feel different. I ended up with Chrome bumpers just so the car looks right.

Allan
There is a small amount of grinding involved to go from the late ('75-'76) bumpers to any kind of early bumper. There are some tabs that hold the rubber tight against the body. It's not that much work and it will give you the satisfaction of personalizing your car. I just sold a '75 that I had backdated the bumpers on and I was really happy with the look.

I say to do what you like....

There are a couple of members that like the later (Grimstead) lol2.gif style bumpers and as far as asthetics it is truly a personal opinion.

Do what feels good.

These cars (unless you are racing for income) are all about what feels good to you.
porschecb
It is only a bumper. You are stuck in the early 70' I was there to! I to am still thinking a 916 bumper is better looking & easier (and lighter) to find than an early style set. IMHO.
North Bay 914
Hey Mike, I have some bumpers you can have, they are decent. I'll help you do the conversion as well. I am completely familiar with the process. Do you have any paint left from when you car was painted? Give me a call.

Martin
porschecb
Thanks Martin! I want to lose the weight! and have a better look! I have seen lot's of cars with 916 glass bumpers without flares and I think they look great!

Martin: What are you thinking?
porschecb
Also I do have some paint left and the paint number.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.