Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Rebuild Costs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Michael J
I have a side shifter in my '72 that works OK except for the typical 2nd gear grind. mad.gif I am tired of having to s-l-o-w-l-y shift into 2nd to avoid the grind. Of course it is worse when it's cold out. So I want to at least fix 2nd. What should I expect to pay for this repair or a more complete rebuild? At a swap meet in Seattle last fall there was a "rebuilt" sideshifter for about $300 if I remember right and there is a "rebuilt" transaxle in our classified section for around $700 + core cost.

While I consider myself mechanical enough I don't want to learn for the first time on my gearbox. Way too many little bitty pieces. idea.gif So I am looking for someone in the Seattle/Olympia area that could help me out. Either do the work or look over my shoulder so it get's done right the first time.

I would also consider purchasing a good used stock gearbox.

Thanks .
J P Stein
I'd like to volunteer Dave Hunt (a fellow Olyimpian) who has lots of free time on his hand here of late laugh.gif

He took gud pics of his trans rebuild a couple weeks ago.
Brad Roberts
It will run over $3k to rebuild a 914 box using new parts. These $700 specials are nothing more than good used parts slapped into a case with a million miles on it. Be careful. I do suggest you buy NEW parts for your tranny and fix it up to your liking. Replace what is needed and go on.

There should be several people in your area that can help you out with the teardown and reassembly. 90% of a tranny "freshen" can be done at home with only a few special tools.

I personally can only count 8-10 people around the USA that can setup a 901/914diff in the case. Dont remove it and measure the gaskets you remove during the disassembly (the intermediate plate gaskets, not the cover gasket)

B
Marv's3.6six
I've got somewhere near $4k in my rebuild, with all new gears, custom ratio's, 930 syncros, plus 80% factory LSD and IMHO assembled by one of the best.......................... wink.gif Patrick Motorsports.
ChicagoChris
This won't help you much but personally I trust Brad Mayeur at 914 Limited in Peoria Illinois. Unfortunately this is more for local mid-west-ners. I bought my 14 from him some 10 years ago with a fresh rebuild on the box. I have driven the car a lot and punished it at times. The box is still good.
I asked him recently and a normal rebuild is about $900. Gear changes and shredded parts will of coarse cost you more. I am with Brad R. You get what you pay for sometimes. If you can’t find anybody locally, give 914 limited a call.

Chris
J P Stein
In Portland, it's Gordon Ledbetter @ Rothsport, but get in line after me. biggrin.gif
Michael J
It will run over $3k to rebuild a 914 box using new parts.

I've got somewhere near $4k in my rebuild

So I finally got my breath back. This does not surprise me but I think I had been lulled by the "let's do it on the cheap" folks into thinking that $300 to $800 would get me a good serviceable gearbox.
Brad Roberts
$300 to $800

$300 wont buy you a new first gear slider (75% of them are worn) New price is: 577.94 most places sell them in the $490 range.

So.. I ask people all the time: what are you really getting when you buy a 300-800 tranny?

This is what people are doing: they are buying as many used tranny's they can get their hands on and they are gutting them for the good parts. I did the same thing 15 years ago. The internal parts that wear out are all the same in all the boxes.

B
TimT
Gary Fairbanks in Ct has been rebuilding 901 based boxes since the stone ages, he has a 2 or 3 day turn around plicy with UPS.. his number is in Pano and Excellence sometimes

Ive been up to his shop a few times eithe to pickl up, or sell parts.. he has the tools and knowledge. Of course he is also on the other coast

laugh.gif

oh yea he does rebuilds cost+ flat fee plus the cost of parts that need to be replaced

so prices do vary
dmenche914
Buy a cheap used tranny that you know works, and swap it inot your car, then take your time on your rebuild. It is not too difficult to replace syncros, and that can really help shifting if they is wornout.
JB 914
I had mine rebuilt by a local porsche guy who does them in his garage in his spare time. He charged me $350 for labor and i supplied the parts. I just kept bringing him cores until we had enough good parts to build one! I had to get some stuff off the classifieds too. I was into mine about $1500 once i was done. That included an "H" gear to use in a V-8.
Eric Taylor
Just out of curiosity, what does a 915 swap cost for a 914? If 4k is a rebuild, seems like you could get a 915 in there for that kinda money.
Eric
Brad Roberts
Problem is:

The 915's are worn out also. Huge issue with the pinion bearing races being loose in the 915 alum and mag cases. I started seeing it in the 901/914 tranny also.

B
J P Stein
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Nov 25 2005, 10:55 PM)
Problem is:

The 915's are worn out also. Huge issue with the pinion bearing races being loose in the 915 alum and mag cases. I started seeing it in the 901/914 tranny also.

B

You're being awfully negative, Brad. Sic em' Trekkor biggrin.gif
nine14cats
The 901 is still going to be cheaper than the 915 flipped for our cars. If you can part with the cash, the 915 is really nice, but a tad pricey. I should know, I just finished a 915 WEVO box for the teener. Not counting the cost of the box, I had $5100 in parts and $2200 in labor. For your $7300 you get:

new synchros and seals and bits
new Guard 80% LSD
WEVO 914 conversion side shift rear housing
WEVO Gate Shift
New bearing retainer plate made from "weapons grade" steel
2 new gears 2nd and 5th to close up the ratios for the track
machine work for an external oil pump

You can cut down the parts by $2600 if you leave out the LSD, Gate Shift, and 2 new gears.

That being said, the box looked absolutely beautiful after it had been assembled. I basically cried when I sold it last week.... sad.gif

But it's going to a good home in a nice 914, so at least it is appreciated.

So I'm not down on the 915's at all. I just wanted to share my build with you for comparison. My previous rebuilt 901 with reinforced intermediate plate and all new syncro's and KA-Q-V gearing cost me $1K when I found a guy going belly up on his project. I bought a Guard 80% LSD for $1400 and had it put in, so my 901 "built" box was ~$2500.

Datapoints for you.

Either way you go, a rebuilt trans really shifts nice! smilie_pokal.gif

Bill P.
carr914
I can put in a good word in for Brad Mayeur. He built a 901 for me about 9 years ago. Not a hiccup since both with my 140 hp 2.0 or my twinplug 2.5 six.

T.C.
DNHunt
Micheal

I just did a box. It had the same issues with first and second gear. I ordered 3 new synchros a new 2-5 dogteeth, a new 1st dogteeth and made a trip to Gary Emory's for 1st gear sliders. I cleaned up the teeth on the 2nd 3rd slider and flipped it over. I got a gasket kit and Swepco. I thought I was set to go and had at it. When I started taking it apart ball bearings went all over. One of the roller bearing cages was shot. I ended up replacing 3 bearings (price went way up). I would have chucked it but the bearing races were all tight so I went ahead. About $1200 with me doing the work. Hasn't leaked a drop. Course it's just sitting on the floor.

I'd be glad to help you out if you want to bring your box up here. The whole thing was really fun except for paying the bill.

Dave
Bleyseng
I think DaveHunt is right on for the cost of the parts at a minimum, $1200. The few I have taken apart suffer from the same worn out parts so those are the parts you are going to have to replace to rebuild it.

Its not that hard to do, just carefull attention to detail.
smash.gif
Dr Evil
Probably not able to do it in stages as all of the parts interact with one another in some way. Plus, you would need anew gasket set for it each time at the very least. Not such a good idea.

As for making trannies from used one, I am deffinetly guilty of that, unless the people commissioning me requested new parts, and or I had no good used. Red-beard and I built quite a few trannies with only one complaint (which was my bad). I did not accurately diagnose some worn differential bearings ($30 ea). The price of bearings was down and the quality was up last that I checked. I usually got all of my parts from GPR, but that was right bfore the 1st gear sliders went up another $150 on top of the original price. $1200 sounds good and is what I was quoting my customers for the full deal (new synchros, dog teeth, bearings, etc) if their tranny needed it. With some used and some new, one could have a price tag of about $800 depending on if there were necessary parts. The one thing that Red-beard and I do is to allow the customer to be as 914ish as possible (change what they feel is most important and can afford with informed consent), ie cheap. Brad is definetly a guy who would not chance using used parts and would always like to do the job to his deffinition of "best" which is to replace everything and essentially have a new box. One can not argue that if you have all new parts your chances of having a problem with the finnished product is significantly less, but many of us, myself included, can not afford the price of new parts and would like alternatives. I still "refurbish" trannies in my free time as I need books for school and they are not cheap. wacko.gif Plus, I like doing them and feeling like I am providing a service to the 914 community.
lapuwali
While it's true that "all the same parts wear out", a set of used trannies can be very useful. You can pick up an unknown condition tail-shifter for $100-150, and that will usually net you a good slider for 4/5 (they rarely wear out), which can be used for 2/3 (which wear quickly). Synchros can be reused by flipping them around, or again using the 4/5 parts. Same for dog teeth (4/5 to 1/2/3). You end up with $500 worth of parts for your $100, plus you have a set of gears and shafts you can usually sell, and if you're lucky, the cases still have good races for the pinion bearing, so they can be used as a core to build a new gearbox around for people who have tired cases. When the price difference is over $2000, going the refurbish route instead of the rebuild route is worthwhile in my book.

Someone needs to devise a way to save cases with loose bearing races, and some way to revive a 1/R slider.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.