Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gerry & I are having at it again, Engine Rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Here we go again. We hardly have to look at the books anymore. We started about 1PM with a big bunch of parts.
DNHunt
And a few more parts
DNHunt
Yes they'll all fit in there
DNHunt
Here's my son Gerry attaching the cam gear to the cam. I'm working on the rods
J P Stein
We all hope the 3rd time's a charm.
DNHunt
Here I'm checking the clearance of the cam bolts to the oil pump. They clear by over a mm. All's good.
LvSteveH
You guys are my heroes........ seriously, your patience is inspiring.
DNHunt
Case halves ready to join. There is assembly lube on the bearings and cam lobes, Kuril K2 on the case halves, sealant on the hardware, tools and hardware laid out. The oil pump's ready to go the dizzy's in and the oil pick up and windage tray are in the top half. It dropped right on and turns freely.
DNHunt
Hardware laid out. 6 through bolts, 6 bolts with washers and nuts, 10 8mm nuts with washers, and 2 6mm nuts with washers.
DNHunt
A good place to stop after 4 hours. Time for pop for Gerry and beer.gif for me
Eric Taylor
Man dave your gona turn into jake at this rate !:). I love your progress threads, they are just awesome, to bad its x3 lol. Would you be willing to put together a start to finish engine build thread for a classic? Your pictures and descrptitons are great.
Eric
DNHunt
Well, kind of an eventful day. I spent the morning hassling JP and pondering new rod bolts. Decided to run the same ARPs. I dropped a head bolt nut down a lifter bore. I'm better at hitting those than making baskets. Fortunately I was able to fish it out through the cylinder register after taking 2 P&C's off.

Early afternoon I checked the deck height. I used the same case, crank cylinders and shims and it shrunk .002 on all for holes. Maybe it was a sampling error.

The rest of the day was valve train geometry (I hate that step. Trial and error). I have a new cam. I lost a little lift on the intake. The exhaust was about same. The duration is a couple of degrees less on both. I suspect I won't be able to tell the difference. The old engine had so much blow by.

While doing deck height, to keep the cylinders on the off side from lifting out of the bores I used some PVC spacers with nuts and washers for clamps.
DNHunt
Here's Gerry torquing the heads down. This is after I dropped a nut into the engine (we got it out).
DNHunt
Valve train is done. I'll check valve adjustment tomorrow. I'll set endplay, then all the other sh#t goes on.

The pile is getting smaller
Katmanken
Lookin great Dave...

God, I love rebuilding them aircooled things....

Putting it all together and having it spin with no clunks, clanks or collisions is a great feeling...

Best one is turning the key and hearing it start, idle, and REV.....

Ken
J P Stein
I'd say your pile is getting more compact. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
I guess I missed something. is this your motor AGAIN? or a different/ 2nd motor?
Ya know I think these things are supposed to stay together ALOT longer than this.

Geesh I never opened up the case of the motor in the racer. I have no idea how many miles. over four years since I bought the cool blue teener with this moyor. and ya'll know it doesn't live an easy life.

Mark Henry
Dave does your combo use the JE pistons or the KB's?
DNHunt
Mark

I'm using the JE pistons. I'm still using the top and middle ring from JE. Bob Cousimano said the JE rings were difficult and I sure proved that. We changed the oil ring to a Hastings ring. The oil rings supplied by JE were very light tension and just didn't work for me. The Hastings rings really center the piston in the bore and they are much more sustantial. I have a good feeling about it this time.

Dave
Mark Henry
Sure hope I don't have problems with mine unsure.gif

Bigger pistons though...
DNHunt
Jake said he hasn't had any problems with them on any other sizes. Bob said he had one oil ring fail on the dyno. He was left with 2 possiblities.

1. We screwed them up on installtion. He felt the tabs could have broken in sliding past the cut out area in the bottom of the cylinders. I have some disagreement with that cause I was aware of the broken tabs the second time and I was really careful. They were NOT broken when I loaded the cylinders.

2. The tension against the cylinders was something like 2 lbs. So, the pistons were all over the place in the bores. This what I think because the oil use started at 200 miles after a road trip to Seattle.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.