Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MC Rebuild Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Does anyone sell a rebuild kit for a 17mm master cylinder?

PP shows it as NLA...

Rich
brp914
nla? - just as well. I've rblt 2. One worked fine for years. The second worked fine for 1 day - big surprise ohmy.gif . Had just finished a day of snow skiing and was about to head back down the mtn. Stepped into car, pedal went to floor. mad.gif

Took it apart, nothing wrong. Put it back, no workie. Eff'n pita anyhow. Just buy new and be done with it.
markb
QUOTE (brp914 @ Nov 26 2005, 10:39 AM)
Just buy new and be done with it.

agree.gif
STL914
QUOTE (markb @ Nov 26 2005, 01:58 PM)
QUOTE (brp914 @ Nov 26 2005, 10:39 AM)
Just buy new and be done with it.

agree.gif

When mine failed several years ago, I found that the 19MM
MC was very close in price to the 17MM. I went that route.
pete-stevers
split for the 19 you will be happy you did,
OR buy for yoursef for christmas wink.gif
r_towle
So, does anyone know where to get a 17 mm MC rebuild kit?

I appreciate the opinions though...

Rich
lapuwali
None of the usual parts houses appear to carry the rebuild kit. I'd call PP and see if their site is out of date (it often is), and if there's no joy, just grit your teeth and get a new 17mm MC. A 19mm MC is NOT an upgrade.
RustyWa
I got one from Shucks (Checkers, Kragan) last winter, it was an ATE branded kit. It was a bitch to get those rings over the new piston. A damn bitch!

So far so good, but my car is not a daily driver.
r_towle
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Nov 26 2005, 07:49 PM)
None of the usual parts houses appear to carry the rebuild kit. I'd call PP and see if their site is out of date (it often is), and if there's no joy, just grit your teeth and get a new 17mm MC. A 19mm MC is NOT an upgrade.

please explain the NOT and upgrade statement.

Rich
lapuwali
It's a long, oft-repeated story. I have more details in my blog, but the short version is that the 19mm MC with stock calipers REDUCES the amount of braking force at the caliper for a given force at the pedal (from your foot). A bigger MC requires less pedal TRAVEL to get a set braking force, but requires you to push harder, too. Some people like the lower travel so much that they switch, even if they do have to push harder, because the pedal feels "firmer".

The 19mm unit is now a bit cheaper than the 17mm unit, and you can still buy rebuild kits for the 19mm unit, so lots of people buy the 19mm unit, anyway.

jonwatts
"Just buy a new one" was good advice when they were $100 a couple of years ago. Now they're closer to $200 and so the $70 rebuild kit is looking much more attractive. After all, it's only brakes. laugh.gif

markb
We put a 19mm in the black car when we rebuilt the brake system earlier this year. I really don't like the pedal feel, when compared with the 17mm on the blue car. Granted, the blue cars brakes were rebuilt a couple of years ago, but we used the same brand of everything on both. Just my .02
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.