Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Company wanted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
I'm gonna drop my tranny. Shouldn't be a big thing, but it would be nice to have a buddy to tell what happened if I end up wearing it. wacko.gif
Bleyseng
How far ya gonna drop it? Ten ft? 50 ft?

Wish I could swing by to watch..... biggrin.gif
DNHunt
Too bad it wasn't yesterday. I was passing your place about this time. Just getting ready to go out and check my deck. Well, maybe 1 more cup a Joe first. The garage is cold today. The pup is still in the sack anyway.

I didn't sleep too well last night. I had visions of stretched rod bolts. Damn, I wish I wasn't so anal. I think I'm gonna order some new ones. These have been together and apart too many times. Fortunately, I don't have to split the case again

Dave
Katmanken
Relax Dave...

Those rod bolts should be just fine...

Dunnow if you dentists ever got into stress strain curves but properly designed bolts are designed to be stressed (torqued) without permanant elongation. The way engineers design something like that is to look at the material stress/strain curve and pick the maximum bolt torque value to be below the yield or permanant stretching point. Bottom line, you should be able to run up and down that stress strain curve (tighten and untighten) without making any change in the bolt properties...

Go over yield and the bolt material properties will change...

You didn't overtorque them (by 25% or so), or rev past 7000 rpm, you should be very fine....

Might put new nuts on them if it makes you feel any better...

Ken
goose2
properly designed bolts are designed to be stressed (torqued) without permanant elongation

I don't know much about T4's, but 911 rod bolts are one time only.
J P Stein
QUOTE (goose2 @ Nov 26 2005, 10:05 AM)
properly designed bolts are designed to be stressed (torqued) without permanant elongation

I don't know much about T4's, but 911 rod bolts are one time only.

Aye, unless you go to ARPs.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Are you doing it today (Saturday)?
Katmanken
Well,

Do wha you want but I've spent 28 years designing mechanical products and some of them were right below that hairy yield edge..... Done enough testing to know that stress/strain curves don't lie... Vendor materials and heat treating? That's another story.

You are never gonna get anything from me that's single use...

Jest boggles my mind that something would be designed like that.... and I've done rockets and spacecraft that had to survive a 60 g launch AND hold together at -273 degrees.. The medical devices were the worst and most highest stressed tho..

Ken

J P Stein
QUOTE (kwales @ Nov 26 2005, 10:20 AM)
Well,

Do wha you want but I've spent 28 years designing mechanical products and some of them were right below that hairy yield edge.....  Done enough testing to know that stress/strain curves don't lie...  Vendor materials and heat treating?  That's another story.

You are never gonna get anything from me that's single use...

Jest boggles my mind that something would be designed like that....  and I've done rockets and spacecraft that had to survive a 60 g launch AND hold together at  -273 degrees..  The medical devices were the worst and most highest stressed tho..

Ken

Now don't get all het up biggrin.gif
I think Prosche assumed you would have 100K miles on your rods before you would pull em'. Prudence dictates new bolts.....but one doesn't have to listen to that bitch Prudence. smile.gif

ARP makes theirs for a different group. Those tear it down every 30-50 hrs guys.
J P Stein
QUOTE (Air_Cooled_Nut @ Nov 26 2005, 10:13 AM)
Are you doing it today (Saturday)?

Yes, today (sat).
DNHunt
ARP wink.gif Supposed to be 29 lb ft. I overtorqued to 32, undid them and went through the sequence again. I'm gonna run em. Incidentally, the stretch values listed in the ARP cataloque for 911 rod bolts is really high. Type 4 is a lot lower. Maybe thats why 911 are single use.

Watching you work would have been fun JP. I love sitting on a stool watching other people get all worked up. The best part is giving advice. The advice gets more fun as the guy doing the work gets more worked up.

Dave
J P Stein
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Nov 26 2005, 11:02 AM)
ARP wink.gif

That would have been fun JP. I love sitting on a stool watching other people get all worked up. The best part is giving advice. The advice gets more fun as the guy doing the work gets more worked up.

Dave

The other ARP, ....damn old farts anyhow.

I've gotten my jollies more than once settin' back "advising".
I had no idea you were an evil sumbitch too..... I shoulda, you are a dentist.

Don't you have a motor to build?
Britain Smith
Hey JP, did you already drop the tranny? If not, I can swing by tomorrow and help out. Let me know.

-Britain
J P Stein
I'll have it out in a couple hours......iff'n I stay away from this puter. biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Ok, that's done. Come back in a month or 2 for the reinstall. biggrin.gif
r_towle
we will all be waiting on the edge of our seats.......

biggrin.gif
DNHunt
I put in my day in the garage. It was so da^n cold the deck shrunk .002 with all the same parts.

Dave
Katmanken
JP,

Relax, my panties aint in a bunch....Just couldn't think why anyone would recommend something as simple as a bolt to be one shot on an engine. Was running around today and thinking what could be the driver for that... idea.gif

Usual ways that a bolt can fail is due to overloading or fatigue or a material property change or corrosion. They weren't torqued enuf to overload, they weren't run enuf for fatigue or crack propagation, I don't think Dave did anything to get them hot enough to lose temper and they ain't old enough to be corroded.....

So yes, I'd be happy to use them again in my engine.

Peace! biggrin.gif

Ken
J P Stein
I had the pellet stove going.......65 ish in the shop.biggrin.gif
You had clean parts while my cars underside has been turned into a pest hole by an oil leak. sad.gif

A toss up, eh?

Did you need any special tools to rebuild your trans?
r_towle
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Nov 26 2005, 10:18 PM)
I had the pellet stove going.......65 ish in the shop.biggrin.gif
You had clean parts while my cars underside has been turned into a pest hole by an oil leak. sad.gif

A toss up, eh?

Did you need any special tools to rebuild your trans?

isnt that .....can i borrow all the special transmission tools you have...

biggrin.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 26 2005, 07:23 PM)

isnt that .....can i borrow all the special transmission tools you have...

biggrin.gif

Have "They" ordered you to mess with me today?
I'd better get my tinfoil hat back on. unsure.gif
r_towle
i got a memo...I always read my memos
DNHunt
That jig is sure nice for aligning the shift forks. An old chisel is nice to tap off the dogteeth. Assorted PVC pipe for various things. Metal pipe for stuff. You want to borrow my stuff.

Dave
r_towle
cause ive been a bum...

I cut a case to enable hift fork adjusting much easier...

I would be happy to loan it to you...

probably 15lbs....shipping from ma.

If you search here you will see a pic of someone elses cut case that I used as a guide....

Rich
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 26 2005, 09:53 PM)
cause ive been a bum...

I cut a case to enable hift fork adjusting much easier...

I would be happy to loan it to you...

probably 15lbs....shipping from ma.

If you search here you will see a pic of someone elses cut case that I used as a guide....

Rich

search clay perrine and shift fork jig....

i remember the animated pics... biggrin.gif
DNHunt
JP

Once you see the jig it is intuitive. It does a nice job of holding the forks steady so they can be aligned. Let me know when you need it. All I need is a comfy stool within earshot so offer opinions. The tranny is just an adult version of Tinker Toys. It's a lot of fun cept it smells bad.

Dave

J P Stein
If ya can't tell, I'm rolling it over whether doing it my self is a gud plan. The only thing that I'm concerned with is bearings.
An experienced guy can do the wiggle test & judge them.
I'd have to set up dial indicators & shit.....assuming I can find the specs....

I have a spare that I took apart to look at.....Some nice bits in it. The R&P is the exception as it was overheated and did some spalling.....behind a 4? All the sliders & dog teeth look good except 4-5 which is lookin "used" on the 5 side.

I've got some time to finger it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.