Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny issue, need advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LukeD
Small issue with my side shifter as of late. When the car is cold it shifts smooth as silk, after about 10 or so miles first gear gets real difficult to get into without grinding. At first I was stuffing it into second at the stop lights and then into first right before I took off, but now that doesn't seem to be working that well. I checked all of my bushings just in case, but they are all virtually new. I figured as much since this seems to be a temperature issue anyway.

I know that 914's can be terrible shifting cars, I have had 8. I am just wondering if it's time to change the tranny fluid and with what type? I don't drive my car more than 100 miles a month so it was odd that the last time I drove it I noticed it.

Luke

dmenche914
Uhm, dont drive it much? Just a hunch, but maybe the clutch is not fully diss-engaging becuase of rust on the flywheel or pressure plate???

I can not think of why shifting would be worse when warmed up, unless you tranny oil is low or wrong stuff.

Try some new 80-90 weight gear lube (80 if you live in cold areas) that might help.

Cap'n Krusty
Gear oil will NOT cause those symptoms. If you insist on changing it anyway, use an 80-90 GL-5. Not GL4, not a "top off" blend, and NEVER any additives that offer slickness; just GL-5. Meanwhile, check the clutch adjustment. A bad pilot bearing will cause this, too. The Cap'n
dmenche914
Gear oil may not be it, but i was thinking how this is an issue with warm up. Maybe the oil is the wrong type, and is too slippery (some of the synthetics are too slippery for syncros to work) Be that the case, when the "bad" oil heats up it becomes more slick, causing the syncros to not sync well, but when cold the "bad" oil is thicker and allows the syncros to work.

I run Redline synthetic in my 914, I forget off the top of me head which product, but Redline does sell the right stuff for Porsche syncros, just besure you get the right product.

The right synthetic gives nice shifting even on under the coldest start up conditons, and I "fixxed" a shifting problem I had after switching to it from regular dino oil tranny lube (and 60,000 mile later tranny is still "repaired"!
olav

Sounds like first gear synchro. That's what was happening to me in with 2nd gear. It would work fine until it warmed up then shifting went to pot. I replaced my 1st and 2nd gear synchro and not it's shifting like a charm.

LukeD
I replaced the clutch, TO bearing and clutch fork bushing a few months ago. About the only thing I have not done to the car is change the tranny oil. Ever since I have had it, after it warms up going into second is a tad harsh. I will change the fluid and use GL-5 like the captain suggested. Do they make syn GL-5?

Thank you for all of your input guys biggrin.gif

Luke
r_towle
QUOTE (LukeD @ Nov 26 2005, 05:36 PM)
I replaced the clutch, TO bearing and clutch fork bushing a few months ago. About the only thing I have not done to the car is change the tranny oil. Ever since I have had it, after it warms up going into second is a tad harsh. I will change the fluid and use GL-5 like the captain suggested. Do they make syn GL-5?

Luke

based upon that information...its your clutch cable adjustment....

You changed all those parts.....when it heats up, the cable gets longer....

You need to re-adjust several times after a new clutch PP is installed to get it right...I usually go for a drive with the tools in the passenger seat...it takes about three times to get it perfect...and you can reach it without getting burned.

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (LukeD @ Nov 26 2005, 02:36 PM)

Luke

When you did the clutch, did you also do the flywheel seal and, more importantly, the o-ring? The pilot bearing? The input shaft seal? I believe there are GL-5 Gear oils available from several synthetic gear oil manufacturers. The Cap'n
LukeD
Problem was resolved by adjusting the clutch. headbang.gif I swaer, I can take out an engine, pull off the head, put it all back together and get it running, but I can't figure out that my clutch wasn't disingaging all the way? chair.gif

smile.gif

Luke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.