Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: handbrake handle removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swl
Stripping out the interior to get ready for rustoration. Haynes says remove the bolt and pull it off. Not budging. There doesn't seem to be any clip or retainer on the bushing but before I go reefing on it I thought I'd ask. Soaking with liquid wrench.
SirAndy
QUOTE (swl @ Nov 26 2005, 01:37 PM)
Not budging.

yupp, one bolt, slides right off. except, if you still have the cables attached. gotta take those off first. just a simple clip and they'll come right off as well ...

wink.gif Andy
McMark
agree.gif
scotty b
Rusted to the shaft it is. MMMMmmmm Werk hard you must.MMMmmmm Use the torch you may MMMmmmmmm. Curse the day you bought the car you will .Yes
swl
torch on nylon bushing, good idea is not. The force you must use.
scotty b
QUOTE (swl @ Nov 27 2005, 08:16 AM)
torch on nylon bushing, good idea is not. The force you must use.

I have had to do this on 2-3 cars now. What happens is the 25+ yr old bushing gets worn through and the handle rusts to the shaft. Unless of course you have been driving this car and using the brake:unsure: Yeah melting nylon is sweeeeet icon8.gif
swl
I got lucky then. The bushing was intact and the handbrake moved freely. Bad rust in that area though and it had started working its way up the post putting clamping pressure on the bushing. Crow bar in behind while working the handle did the trick.
scotty b
smilie_pokal.gif The force was strong with you laugh.gif But you never gave in the the torch side blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.